User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Laptop or Desktop computer?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

desktop because it can be easily upgraded in the future. Like almost anything. Anyways my desktop is about 6 years old, works great but I had to upgrade the RAM and change the power supply at one point.

I can understand why one would prefer a laptop over a desktop though. Not so much for the tablet...
    ROMEO likes this.
    Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. Get up to 18 GB in free online storage when you sign-up using this link -> http://db.tt/218DjYg

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

LAPTOP. You can literally carry it to any place in your house and use it. It's just more convenient for my lifestyle. We had a desktop computer as well and NO ONE uses it. Such a waste of money because it hasn't been used in years. No one likes to go all the way upstairs to use the desktop. Most of us like to use our laptops in front of the TV LOL + we can take the laptops to work, school etc.
    ROMEO likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I work in IT, so my opinion might be a little sqewed. DH and I both use our computers for a number of things that most people don't (video capturing, encoding, design work, etc). Our desktop computers (we have 2 of them in our den/office) are used all the time. We are actually considering getting 1 or 2 more as the kids have "claimed" both of ours. We also have a few laptops, which are used less often.

That being said, our den is on the main level, and has a 42" LCD tv in it and a sofa (for when I get booted off the computer). I find desktops computers a lot less restricted and more reliable. If my mouse fails on my desktop, I just buy a new mouse, not a new motherboard (and yes, I have had this happen). I can easily add another 3-4TB hard drive if I start to run low on storage on a desktop. It's a bit more of a pain to increase hard drive side on laptops and drive sizes have not caught up (or caught up at reasonable prices). Desktops are much easier to work on for repairs and upgrades. Certain things are just not possible if you have a portable laptop (like dual display) - great if you are composing something in one window and browsing the internet with the other (eg Flyers in window A and typing Sales in window B).

I'm all for laptops, but there is a time and a place. I don't find them to be desktop replacements. I will likely always have a desktop, even if it is used more or less like a server with lots of stored data on it and a beefy processor and video card (and a good amount of ram) for when I need it.
    ROMEO, seylz_gurl and Baggravation like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by oddduck View Post
    I work in IT, so my opinion might be a little sqewed. DH and I both use our computers for a number of things that most people don't (video capturing, encoding, design work, etc). Our desktop computers (we have 2 of them in our den/office) are used all the time. We are actually considering getting 1 or 2 more as the kids have "claimed" both of ours. We also have a few laptops, which are used less often.

That being said, our den is on the main level, and has a 42" LCD tv in it and a sofa (for when I get booted off the computer). I find desktops computers a lot less restricted and more reliable. If my mouse fails on my desktop, I just buy a new mouse, not a new motherboard (and yes, I have had this happen). I can easily add another 3-4TB hard drive if I start to run low on storage on a desktop. It's a bit more of a pain to increase hard drive side on laptops and drive sizes have not caught up (or caught up at reasonable prices). Desktops are much easier to work on for repairs and upgrades. Certain things are just not possible if you have a portable laptop (like dual display) - great if you are composing something in one window and browsing the internet with the other (eg Flyers in window A and typing Sales in window B).

I'm all for laptops, but there is a time and a place. I don't find them to be desktop replacements. I will likely always have a desktop, even if it is used more or less like a server with lots of stored data on it and a beefy processor and video card (and a good amount of ram) for when I need it.
    Great points. Laptops are a hassle whenever something goes wrong. The trackpad on my Macbook is really messed up and it's randomly clicking on things. It's as if my laptop is possessed. Getting it fixed requires a lot of $ and time (2-3 weeks apparently). STILL, I prefer a laptop because I need to bring it to school and work. It's purely due to convenience.
    ROMEO likes this.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Agreed, I love my lenovo laptop but in my opinion you must have atleast one desktop at home, even have laptops.
    Last edited by uanoor; Thu, Jul 18th, 2013 at 04:27 PM.
    ROMEO and seylz_gurl like this.
    Need a cheap but still reliable phone plan. Try Public Mobile. Plans starting from $15 ($13 with auto payment).
    Use code R8NLM8 or link when activate with Public Mobile and we both will get $10 bonus.
    Win some extra cash or gift cards. Try Swagbucks... ww.swagbucks.com/refer/uanoor

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Today some nice product is all in one computer, takes less space and provides the same performance.
    ROMEO likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm bumping my old post

I ended up purchasing a HP desktop on sale.

I tried my neighbour's laptop. I like the portability but I literally found it a pain in the neck viewing the screen. She has a laptop riser thing to raise it up which helped. Although to me not quite the same as viewing a desktop monitor.

I'm more use to a desktop.
    ROMEO likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi toban, I wrote out a long post before I saw your new reply, but I'll leave this here for others in case they're curious. Glad you found something you can work with!
    --

It really comes down to what you're using the computer for and what you can afford. The notion that the 'desktop is on the way out' is way overblown.

If you're buying a laptop, you'll be playing a hefty mark up for what your receive in terms of performance. This also depends on what sort of laptop you're purchasing. An ultra thin, awesome looking high DPI Zenbook is going to cost you an arm and a leg compared to a massively heavy low-tier Acer.

A desktop should be considered in a number of scenarios. If you're into PC games at all, a desktop will give you much better price for performance than a laptop. If you're using programs that really push a GPU and the system in general, Photoshop, rendering programs, a desktop is a better choice. If you're looking to save money and leaving yourself open to more flexibility in the future for upgrading, a desktop is generally a better choice.

For a laptop, you sacrifice money and power for portability. This can be very desirable if you're bringing your laptop out with you, or even moving around the house. Say you want to hook your laptop up with HDMI to your television to stream something, bring it into the kitchen to listen to a podcast while you cook. These are also things you can do on a tablet, but you're not restricting yourself to that sort of operating system. If you're after a laptop, it's because you do want the traditional qualities of a computer over what a tablet offers.

So, that's a few things to consider. Personally, we have two desktops, two smart phones and one laptop. Desktops are where we'll spend more of our time, but the flexibility provided by the laptop, when we're out in the living room and I need a computer handy is fantastic.
    Last edited by JLanky; Sat, Mar 15th, 2014 at 12:38 AM.
    ROMEO and GatineauGirl like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

thanks
    ROMEO likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hello,i want to share a important topic with you. I am using Toshiba laptop but recently, I have faced a problem with my laptop battery. Someone advice me this site laptop battery replacement will be really helpful for me. What should I do now? Any suggestion?
    Last edited by bodybyvi; Mon, Feb 24th, 2014 at 10:27 AM.
    ROMEO likes this.

TMP
    CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Buy the battery & then swap it
    ROMEO likes this.

TMP
    CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Ebay is another cheap source
    ROMEO likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Agreed
    Laptop is better for work.
    I use HP + 2 monitors. I am happy))

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

laptop...You can literally carry it

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Laptop... upgrades are super easy. Just get a new one.
    -no need for extra keyboard, mice and monitor cables. You can plug in mice and keyboard if you find it impractical.
    -you can plug in an external monitors if you want
    -tablets are great if you don't need to type.
    -hardware or software problem? You have a self-contained unit to bring to expert or technician.
    Last edited by xlxo; Sun, Mar 16th, 2014 at 06:11 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information