User Tag List

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: disability tax credit questions

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

You can have you taxes adjusted for 10 years for the dtc. I know the op doesnt need it for that long but that is the rule.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Whew! So glad I found this forum!

I have two boys ages 17 and 12 who carry the diagnosis of ADHD. Each of them were diagnosed around the age of 6 and all have been treated with one drug or another (and therapy, and IEP, and tutors.. etc). I only recently found out about the Child Disability Tax Credit. I applied applied and requested adjustments be back dated to the year of diagnosis for each boy. It took 2-1/2 months, but both were approved. Yay! I am curious know about what happens next. I know my taxes need to be reassessed and that the credit portion of the benefit will be added to my CCTB, but I am curious to know how long all of this takes. I have had one person say two weeks and another say twelve. I did call CRA but they only stated I would get a letter in the mail and hopefully this letter would clarify things. They also mentioned that there were additional forms that needed to be filled out, so now I am also curious about what type of additional information they might need.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who knows anything about any of this. My head is still spinning that this help is even available. I sure wish I knew about this when the boys were younger! Im also amazed at how little information is even out there! I have been looking for a forum like this for weeks!

Thanks in advance!!!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I finally got an update today that we are entitled to claim DTC for my son! I'm so excited since we applied in February.
    MillieH likes this.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

Congrats Angee, thats great news..
    does anyone know what age is the cutoff for it. can adults apply. (for a disability that began years earlier). NOT interested in ODSP.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    Congrats Angee, thats great news..
    does anyone know what age is the cutoff for it. can adults apply. (for a disability that began years earlier). NOT interested in ODSP.
    Yes they can. I had no problem at all.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi all,

Thank you for this thread! Registered just to comment on my situation. My 8yo son was just diagnosed with ADHD and dyslexia through a psychoed done at his school. These diagnoses were not unexpected. The fact he was in the 1st percentile for reading and writing was a little shocking. Been following this discussion for some time but without a diagnosis we couldn't really do much to apply for this tax credit. We won't be getting the psychoed assessment report until January and then we need to take it to the pediatrician to fill out the paperwork for the tax credit. Quite a long process indeed....

Do you think that the disabilities he has will qualify for the credit? We live in Calgary and the public school system (and public system in general) is VERY LIMITED in what they can offer students to help with his disabilities. The possible money that we could get from this (and tax reassessment) could go a long way to helping him get some very needed help.

Thank you for this info and thread!

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Makeyourself View Post
    Hi all,

Thank you for this thread! Registered just to comment on my situation. My 8yo son was just diagnosed with ADHD and dyslexia through a psychoed done at his school. These diagnoses were not unexpected. The fact he was in the 1st percentile for reading and writing was a little shocking. Been following this discussion for some time but without a diagnosis we couldn't really do much to apply for this tax credit. We won't be getting the psychoed assessment report until January and then we need to take it to the pediatrician to fill out the paperwork for the tax credit. Quite a long process indeed....

Do you think that the disabilities he has will qualify for the credit? We live in Calgary and the public school system (and public system in general) is VERY LIMITED in what they can offer students to help with his disabilities. The possible money that we could get from this (and tax reassessment) could go a long way to helping him get some very needed help.

Thank you for this info and thread!
    Your doctor needs to fill out the paperwork first, then the government will decide. I don't see why not but I am not an expert. You get to play the wait game after the forms are mailed. (I believe 3-6 months?)

You can always get your taxes re assessed if approved for an approximate wait time of 8 weeks. Always nice to have the government give you money instead of taking it.
    Last edited by macw1960; Sun, Dec 8th, 2013 at 07:13 AM.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    100 (99%)

We applied the end of September for our son's disability tax credit and within three weeks it was finished. Last month we got all his back money for the CCTB portion.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Teverett, It only took a couple weeks for the CCTB back payments to be issued? It shows on my CRA account they have calculated the last 2 1/2 years of back payments (not sure if they will go back 2 more years on their own or if we will have to request it?) I wasn't sure how long before they actually deposit it.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by macw1960 View Post
    Your doctor needs to fill out the paperwork first, then the government will decide. I don't see why not but I am not an expert. You get to play the wait game after the forms are mailed. (I believe 3-6 months?)

You can always get your taxes re assessed if approved for an approximate wait time of 8 weeks. Always nice to have the government give you money instead of taking it.
    Thank you for the response. We will definitely be pressing to get the process completed as soon as possible so the 'wait game' doesn't need to take any longer than it has to. There are a few things we may need to do once the paperwork is filed, and especially if his disabilities qualify. My understanding is I would apply for the Disability Tax Credit Certificate which could lead to the Child Disability Benefit (and back payments) and tax reassessment? Is this correct? Is there anything else I am missing or could apply for?

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Makeyourself View Post
    Thank you for the response. We will definitely be pressing to get the process completed as soon as possible so the 'wait game' doesn't need to take any longer than it has to. There are a few things we may need to do once the paperwork is filed, and especially if his disabilities qualify. My understanding is I would apply for the Disability Tax Credit Certificate which could lead to the Child Disability Benefit (and back payments) and tax reassessment? Is this correct? Is there anything else I am missing or could apply for?
    Yes you are correct. Not sure about what you can claim but you can always call the government and ask for information regarding disability information or check on line.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

So happy I came here and found this thread. I have LOTS of questions! My poor brain can not compute the many pieces of information I've received about this credit so I'm confused. So we applied for the DTC in December for my Husband and Monday we got a letter saying he was approved for it. The thing is, with him being on disability now, I have no idea how this benefits him. This is how the DTC has been described to me.

1: You work all year and when you go to file your income taxes the DTC will cover whatever you may owe to the Government. Therefore you aren't paying taxes at the end of the year.

This doesn't make sense to me because if you're on disability you aren't making a lot of money, certainly not enough to owe at the end of the year, so how would that benefit most people?

Some people say (as I've read in this thread that you'll get a lump sum after you are approved) whereas others say you won't, and the CRA site even states it is a non refundable tax credit.

See my confusion? lol Anyone have any idea how the credit works? How it benefits you? And I'd love for him to get money back, but how does that work as well? Thanks in advance

Oh, and we are sending the letter in asking them to make the adjustment for the years they said he is eligible for but I was wondering if I include 2013 in the request or if I leave 2013 until we file our taxes this year?
    Last edited by TaraF; Thu, Jan 30th, 2014 at 10:00 PM.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Tue, Feb 18th, 2014 at 08:16 AM.
    Insane likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    216 (100%)

Just skimmed the thread, but I have the DTC and corresponding child's disability benefit for my two children with aspergers and ADHD. From what I understand it is not uncommon for them to deny it the first time, and perhaps even the second, but keep reapplying. It took twice for my first child, but we were approved the first time for my second child. I have a third child being assessed for aspergers/adhd, and will have the psychologist fill out that paperwork as well. The criteria for what qualifies are very specific, my daughter with celiac disease didn't qualify.

Also, one you have the DTC, form 22001, don't forgot to apply for a RDSP. The government matches any contributions 3-1 up to a certain amount, and it adds up fast! Also, see if you qualify for the ASCD (assistance for children with severe disability program through ODSP0. We didn't receive a lot, but each bit helps.

Not sure if this all been mentioned, but just wanted to share my experience.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So we’ve now seen my son’s pediatrician who filled out the T2201 for ADHD and learning disability. In Part B Under the effects Effects of impairment all that he put was 1) poor impulsive control and 2) difficulties at school/home. In the same section under diagnosis he put 1) ADHD and 2) Learning disability.

Beyond this he seemed to fill the rest of the form out appropriately. To me this seemed rushed and he seemed to think we would be audited and more information requested regardless of what he wrote. With this little information I think he will be right or else we will be flat out denied. He also said we should attach my son’s psychoed assessment and write a letter detailing his challenges at home. This seemed reasonable to me.

Does anyone have any experiences with a doctor writing so little and getting approved for the DTCC? I’m wondering if we should go back to the doctor and have him fill it out with more detailed information or even go to a different doctor. From what I’ve read online, the lack of detail written by my doctor may cause this process to be longer than it needs to be. Any thoughts?
    Insane likes this.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information