User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree346Likes

Thread: "It's not worth my time to coupon"???

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

So I work with a bunch of people who are always complaining about being broke and having no money. I was cleaning out a few coupons from my purse that I won't be using and offered them to coworkers. Their response: "it's not worth my time and I don't know why you waste yours on coupons".

Umm what??? You're complaining about being broke and free money is a waste of time? Whenever I have extra stuff from couponing I bring it to work and when the SDM fiasco with both Cadbury chocolates and Huggies wipes was happening I brought enough to last for months, lol. And even when I bring stuff to share they whine about how it's not enough. I don't get it. Oh well, more for me then :p
    This thread is currently associated with: Huggies, Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart
    anisa, Queenmoly, aussie and 12 others like this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

It's funny how some people won't use coupons because they don't want to look "cheap". Maybe that's why they're broke.
    anisa, scbpooh, aussie and 16 others like this.
    Jesus saves!
    SWAGBUCKS pays for so many of my housewares... http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/DizzyB

So many ways to earn at Mintvine https://mintvine.com/users/register/...9d2f2fe5be93d3

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    162 (100%)

My dd19 had a friend with her while cashing out 95,000 shoppers points on make up and fragrance. Friend say she wishes she could get free stuff too. Daughter says get an Optimum Card. Friend says " I don't like carrying extra cards in my wallet."

Come on, really?
    anisa, Queenmoly, aussie and 17 others like this.
    Zoombucks are back: Please consider using my link to sign up again: https://zoombucks.com/?ref=IIHO0L

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I was at Sdm few days ago and there was promo going on spend $50 ang get $10 gift card...
    there was a customer befor me and she almost did spent $50 just few cents away from $50,cashier told her madam if spent 0.03 cents more you will get $10 gift card,
    and she replied very rudely no I don't want your advice and don't want the gift card,
    come on tell me who doesn't want extra money,
    i don't understand some people.
    Last edited by sam786; Tue, Feb 4th, 2014 at 02:32 AM.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

You can't help people who don't want to help themselves.

People who coupon fall into two categories, usually: People who don't have enough to make ends meet and are looking for a way to stretch what they have, and people who have enough but understand the value of a dollar and understand that a penny saved is a penny earned.

Yes, it takes a wee bit of effort. But through my wee effort to follow sales, use points programs, cut coupons and deal hunt, I have almost entirely eliminated our costs for HBA items, cleaning items, laundry and dish soap, and many other misc things, plus cut our food-grocery bill by at least 25%. We may take that 25% and spend it on treats or going to dinner or whatever, but we still had 25% more out of the same paycheck than we would have if I didn't coupon.

People who don't coupon/follow sales/look for deals fall into two categories which often overlap: Lazy, and/or stupid. There is no excuse for no 'time', I spend maybe an hour a week actively doing anything. It's NOT hard to find an hour, even in bits and pieces.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Well I guess then it's not worth your time bringing them the fruits of your labour. Keep all your excess stockpile stuff for others who appreciate it.

Sounds like complainers. Do they hate their jobs too? Well you work at your job, you get money. You work at coupons, you spend less money and have to work less hours at that job you hate.

I think for some (not smart) people, being broke is a badge of honour. "Look at me, I spent ALL my money and now I can't feed or shelter myself. YOLO"
    anisa, Queenmoly, aussie and 16 others like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I think couponing definitely takes time.
    I slowed down this month and still have Jan 31 expiries in my pouches.

BUT I also think people who don't do it, don't understand HOW to do it.
    Most times, when someone finds out I coupon, (usually in the store when I'm cashing out), the first question I get asked is HOW DO YOU DO THAT?! Then smaller questions are, Where do I look, How do I access them etc.
    I think some of the negativity is a naive thing. They don't understanding how, so they don't do it and bash those of us who do do it.
    I also think, like many who have mentioned it previously, couponing has some sort of stigma towards it. That people who do it are cheap. Perhaps those broke people, would rather be broke in private, than show that they are broke, and need to coupon.
    Last edited by acosta; Tue, Feb 4th, 2014 at 08:47 AM.
    WHATT, You aren't doing Swagbucks? http://swagbucks.com/refer/acosta22

TRADE:
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/members/acosta/
    FT TONS OF NEW COUPONS JUST UPDATED

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I don't think not couponing means your lazy or stupid. It depends on what products you use and what sort of food you eat. There's a lot of coupons out there for lower end products and not so healthy food, but if you don't eat that kind of food or use those products you're wasting money by buying them just because you have a coupon. Personally I rarely use coupons because there's rarely coupons for products we use. I'll use diaper coupons, toilet paper ones, the occasional cleaning cleaning supply coupon, cover girl coupons for nail polish or eyeliner, Tresemme coupons if I run out of my regular shampoo and if I find Axe coupons or coupons for hand cream I'll use those. I hardly ever see coupons for food we eat like meat or produce and if I do I have to buy something we don't eat like cereal, taco kits or hamburger helper to get them.
    I watch the sales and stock up when products we use go on sale, and I rarely buy clothes that aren't 50% off regular price or more. I think saving money is more about what works for you and your family than wether or not you use a coupon, sometimes people are ignorant about couponing, other times they're just being smart and know that using a coupon for a product they won't use isn't saving money and unless you know what the whole story is you shouldn't judge.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

people can be funny sometimes. ive read a few of these stories lately on SC and i get a chuckle out of most of them because it seems people really do want to buy the sale items. we couponers know how it works of course we try to match coupons with the best sales. we often find these anti-couponers perusing the same items we're looking for from the flyers, which to me means they are at least interested in saving money or they just happen to be buying items on sale!

i saw someone at shoppers at a 20x day who spent several hundred dollars on some expensive items...when it came time for the optimum card, they didn't have one and didn't want one! lemme tell ya i was SOOOO tempted to jump in there and offer mine. hahaha! i held back though!
    Last edited by r0c0upons; Tue, Feb 4th, 2014 at 09:43 AM.
    anisa, avoncallingu, Ciel and 7 others like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

I had a whole box load of Cadbury and the parents of one of DH's coworker loves these. So every day, DH took 30 a day to work for 2 weeks. Her daughters also loves the Van Houtte iced tea k-cups and I have 3 Ziploc bags and gave that to her. Then she surprised DH with a $20 Timmy's GC.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Several years ago, we were without a home for a few weeks waiting for our new place to close. So my parents graciously allowed us to stay with them for the time being. I went along with my mom to go grocery shopping, with the secret intent of paying for everything she bought. I knew if I told her beforehand that I would pay for it, that she wouldn't buy everything she needed, so I decided that I would slink in front of her at the till to pay.
    Anyway, it took everything I had not to cringe at what was going in the cart. *nudge nudge* "Y'know Mom, there's a better deal on another brand on the display over there, and I think I have a coupon"
    Mom: "No, that's okay, we usually just get this one".
    *breathe in...breathe out...this is a thank you, this is a gift, this is a gift*...
    We reach the dairy section, and she needs butter. Grabs the half pound at $2.97. Me: "Mom, the full pound is only $0.50 more, why not grab that instead?"
    Mom: "Oh, no, this is fine. We don't need that much."
    Me: "You can just freeze whatever you don't need now, butter freezes really well. And I've never had it go bad even in the fridge, either. You'll use it soon anyway, right?"
    Mom: "Well, yeah, but this is all that I need now."
    I'm starting to implode at this point, trying very hard not to show it outwardly. I was so surprised to discover that she wasn't at all frugal, especially considering she immigrated here when she was quite young, and her parents started out in Canada with almost nothing.
    My lesson learned: If I want to say thank you, I'll just buy her a grocery gift card instead. Which is exactly what I did as a parting gift. Much less stressful for both of us
    anisa, Silk, avoncallingu and 9 others like this.
    Jesus saves!
    SWAGBUCKS pays for so many of my housewares... http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/DizzyB

So many ways to earn at Mintvine https://mintvine.com/users/register/...9d2f2fe5be93d3

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by superhamster View Post
    So I work with a bunch of people who are always complaining about being broke and having no money. I was cleaning out a few coupons from my purse that I won't be using and offered them to coworkers. Their response: "it's not worth my time and I don't know why you waste yours on coupons".

Umm what??? You're complaining about being broke and free money is a waste of time? Whenever I have extra stuff from couponing I bring it to work and when the SDM fiasco with both Cadbury chocolates and Huggies wipes was happening I brought enough to last for months, lol. And even when I bring stuff to share they whine about how it's not enough. I don't get it. Oh well, more for me then :p
    I always tell them if 5 bucks or even a loonie falls from your pocket won't you pick it up ?..or just let it go ?..a coupon is no different whether its a buck or more..its money in your pocket..just like the other paper money from bank of canada in your wallet.
    anisa, avoncallingu, Ciel and 6 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

That's an interesting story! Funny about the immigrant part because my parents immigrated to Canada in their late teens with no money and I remember mom using coupons back in the 80s! I learned frugality from mom, then SC took it over the top
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzyb View Post
    Several years ago, we were without a home for a few weeks waiting for our new place to close. So my parents graciously allowed us to stay with them for the time being. I went along with my mom to go grocery shopping, with the secret intent of paying for everything she bought. I knew if I told her beforehand that I would pay for it, that she wouldn't buy everything she needed, so I decided that I would slink in front of her at the till to pay.
    Anyway, it took everything I had not to cringe at what was going in the cart. *nudge nudge* "Y'know Mom, there's a better deal on another brand on the display over there, and I think I have a coupon"
    *breathe in...breathe out...this is a thank you, this is a gift, this is a gift*...
    We reach the dairy section, and she needs butter. Grabs the half pound at $2.97. Me: "Mom, the full pound is only $0.50 more, why not grab that instead?"
    Me: "You can just freeze whatever you don't need now, butter freezes really well. And I've never had it go bad even in the fridge, either. You'll use it soon anyway, right?"
    I'm starting to implode at this point, trying very hard not to show it outwardly. I was so surprised to discover that she wasn't at all frugal, especially considering she immigrated here when she was quite young, and her parents started out in Canada with almost nothing.
    My lesson learned: If I want to say thank you, I'll just buy her a grocery gift card instead. Which is exactly what I did as a parting gift. Much less stressful for both of us
    anisa, Silk, avoncallingu and 5 others like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    162 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dizzyb View Post
    Totally reminds me of an old neighbour.

Went shopping with her one time and there was a bogo sale on Oreo's. She picked up one box. Tried point out the other one is free. "But I only want one."

Even her six and nine year old looked at her like she was crazy.
    anisa, avoncallingu, Ciel and 5 others like this.
    Zoombucks are back: Please consider using my link to sign up again: https://zoombucks.com/?ref=IIHO0L

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by momof3heathens View Post
    Totally reminds me of an old neighbour.

Went shopping with her one time and there was a bogo sale on Oreo's. She picked up one box. Tried point out the other one is free. "But I only want one."

Even her six and nine year old looked at her like she was crazy.
    At Sobeys I saw a woman pick up 2 boxes of General Mills cereals ..the old boxes with no coupons on them ..right next to them were boxes with the Movie tickets on them ..same cereal..same box..same UPC ..I was just shaking my head. She had to move an inch to pick up the movie ticket boxes..didn't bother.

She must have lost 24 bucks..roughly the price of 2 movie tkts ..I am sure she must be going to the movies with her family etc & could have easily used those cpns.

I see people picking up Vector cereal boxes..the ones which have the FREE T shirt on them ..but they pick up the old boxes without any cpns on them ..don't they want a FREE T shirt ?..they are buying that cereal anyways , might as well go for the FREE T shirt

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information