User Tag List

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: disability tax credit questions

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    216 (100%)

Can you have the pshcologist who did the assessment fill it out? I had less trouble when the therapist filled out, as she specifically diagnosed him. With my first child, the family doctor filled it out, using the pshcy. assessment, and we had to re-apply. But, we did get it the second time. I would definitely attach the pshy. assesment. Also, don't try to underplay the affect on you. I tend to do that with my kids, but for this report you have to make it as bad sounding as it is. Not lying, but not underplaying the difficulties it causes.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

What about an adult with a hearing impairment caused when tubes fell into their ear drum and required two operations to repair, resulting in a hearing loss of around 30%?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

CRA requested more info from our doctor, it was a very simple questionnaire. We applied in feb 2013 got approved dec 2013. There was some delays from our Dr, (out of the country for a few months) the questionnaire was lost or didn't arrive. If you have any questions you can pm me and I can tell you about my experience so far.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

kellyanna, we would have rather had the psychologist fill out the form but his assessment was done through the local school board. When I mentioned the form she said she had never heard of it and had never filled one out. We may go the route of using what the pediatrician filled out, a letter from us, a letter from his teacher/resource teacher and attaching his assessment. If more information is need then we can meet with the doctor and provide more detail. Our hope is that the two letters and assessment will be enough to supplement the pediatrician's lack of detail.

Great advice about not underplaying the affect on us. We tend to not see it as others do but when he is around his sister or other kids it is VERY apparent. He is just our lovable son that is wound differently then most (as we all do I would guess).

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

lecale, thanks for the info. So going forward while solely on disability and not working it won't benefit him too terribly it seems. We are requesting they apply it to previous years he did work and perhaps that's where a monetary refund would come in because he would have paid more out than he would have if the credit were applied.

I did find out how the credit can benefit people though which is really interesting. As per CRA website:

Some, healthcare, home care, care and supervision, home delivered meals, recreational services and some medical devices and supplies are tax exempt. It's good to know.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum. But it looks like it's full of very knowledgeable people. I was wondering if anyone could tell me, once approved, what timeframes people have experienced before recieving their refunds for the retroactive amounts? The DTC for my daughter was approved in December, and I've been told I would be recieving the automatic retroactive amount (2 1/2 years) for the CDB in February. But I'm interested in finding out what others have experienced for processing time, as relates to the other part of the retroactive credit for the CDB, and also for the reassessments of the 10 years tax returns for the DTC amount itself? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkypie View Post
    You will get denied for sure, I did! My daughters hearing impairment sounds exactly like yourchds.
    I know your comment is super old but....

The criteria for hearing impairment for the disability tax credit is very restrictive. It says something to the effect of you need to be markedly restricted all or almost all of the time even WITH the use of devices (hearing aids, cochlear implant) in a quiet setting with a familiar speaker. Effectively the only reason to qualify is if you use ASL. Some kids can get qualified because they are just "learning" to hear but once they catch up to their peers and are in a regular classroom it becomes impossible to justify.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TaraF View Post
    So happy I came here and found this thread. I have LOTS of questions! My poor brain can not compute the many pieces of information I've received about this credit so I'm confused. So we applied for the DTC in December for my Husband and Monday we got a letter saying he was approved for it. The thing is, with him being on disability now, I have no idea how this benefits him. This is how the DTC has been described to me.

1: You work all year and when you go to file your income taxes the DTC will cover whatever you may owe to the Government. Therefore you aren't paying taxes at the end of the year.

This doesn't make sense to me because if you're on disability you aren't making a lot of money, certainly not enough to owe at the end of the year, so how would that benefit most people?

Some people say (as I've read in this thread that you'll get a lump sum after you are approved) whereas others say you won't, and the CRA site even states it is a non refundable tax credit.

See my confusion? lol Anyone have any idea how the credit works? How it benefits you? And I'd love for him to get money back, but how does that work as well? Thanks in advance

Oh, and we are sending the letter in asking them to make the adjustment for the years they said he is eligible for but I was wondering if I include 2013 in the request or if I leave 2013 until we file our taxes this year?
    I just wanted to add to Lecale's very awesome response that the "lump sum payment" that people talk about is a lump sum for re-evaluating the income tax return going back to the start of the disability or 10yrs (I'm pretty sure it's 10 but check with CRA), whichever is soonest.
    TaraF and lecale like this.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ryry View Post
    What about an adult with a hearing impairment caused when tubes fell into their ear drum and required two operations to repair, resulting in a hearing loss of around 30%?
    I can guarantee you don't qualify and any audiologist who signs it would be wrong. The criteria is very strict in that you have to be markedly restricted even with the use of a hearing aid or cochlear implant.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Tue, Feb 18th, 2014 at 08:16 AM.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

Thanks! At this point in time I don't use a hearing device but will need too at some (maybe too stubborn now ?) as scar tissue has damaged more of me ear :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post
    I can guarantee you don't qualify and any audiologist who signs it would be wrong. The criteria is very strict in that you have to be markedly restricted even with the use of a hearing aid or cochlear implant.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Stumpled upon this thread my eldest son who is now 13 rec'd the child disability credit & tax credit from 4 years old until 12 no questions asked. But when the child turns 12 you need to re-apply and then we were refused. The doctor filled out the paper work exactly the same as the 1st time around when he was 4 years old but it was refused when we re-applied in 2012. I called CRA and was told that my son no longer qualifies which I found to be bs but what can I do. They send a questionnaire to our doctor and she filled out but the decision was no longer qualifies. My son has severe adhd and various learning dissabilities, he was medicated at the age of 4 and still is, the pediatrician who diagnosed him at 4 years old had never seen a case like his. We have since then paid for 2 physchological assessments each $1600.00 because it is helpful for his schooling and for the approval of the disability benefits but now we are still upset, we have since re-applied 1 year ago and have now changed doctors so I am going to make an appointment to have the doctor fill out the forms but there is a very thin line between remarkedably restricted (so present 90% of the time) which I understand BUT a child with a learning disability and ADHD has these issue 100% off the time. SO fingers crossed this time it goes through. My 2nd son also have learing disabilities but we never applied for him because our 1st son was refused.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

I'm in the same boat as you Jas... with two of them. now adults one was literally dropped by his Dr. long story 6 months ago.
    the other was continued on. however neither are being seen anymore. my choice.
    I personally went to apply. and after hearind the amount i'd receive as a 'non-working' mother to help support my family.. pfft whatever. may as well put my big panties on and suck it up and work. thank goodness there's Advil.
    I have no idea what this world has in store for my sons when they are on their own..
    jasperandchar likes this.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

'disability programs after age 65 but you do get free drugs, eye exams, etc. just for being a senior.'

Just a comment on the 'free drugs'- in BC there is fair (?) Pharmacare. We have yet to see anything that resembles 'free' drugs. They still apply an annual deductible that you have to overcome before there is no charge.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Tue, Feb 18th, 2014 at 08:16 AM.

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information