User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: If you are sick STAY HOME

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

same when i saw some kids going school coughing or sneezing .
    luckbealady likes this.
    For cute kids clothing check
    http://www.zulily.com/invite/sfaraz685

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Sometimes calling in sick is just not an option. Its great if you get sick pay but if you don't what then. My husband does not get paid if he calls in sick. He is the only one working. ( I am staying at home with our daughter) I feel really bad for him when he is not feeling well, he sits there debating if staying home is really worth missing the pay, we can't afford for him to call in sick unless its really bad.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by francine1985 View Post
    When I was pregnant with ds1 I was constantly vomiting. I would throw up walking to/from work as well as having to go to the bathroom several times during work. I was not sick and definitely not contagious. (There was no chance of a coworker catching my baby lol). While I'm sure people walking into the bathroom thought I was sick I wasn't and couldn't afford to miss work everyday. I did end up going on maternity leave a bit early and never went back to work when my maternity leave ended because I really didn't want to put ds1 in daycare.
    Too funny!
    francine1985 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I don't get the stupid rule most workplaces have , that you need a doctor's note if you call in sick.

Guess what most people don't always go to a doctor when they are sick and it takes a life time to get your doctor's appointment and walkins are a joke.

When I am sick and can't even get out of bed , the last thing I want to do is go to a doctor's office in - 20 C weather and snow , to get a doc's note for which they charge any way .

A couple of days rest, some chicken soup and some tylenols makes me better..no need to go to the doc for that..usually the doc just writes some prescription for me and sends me home anyways, so why waste my time anyways .

The employer's need to understand That just bcoz u didn't go to a doc doesn't mean u were not sick. so most people show up for work anyways when they are sick as their employer doesn't believe them
    Nomerr, Lyssia510 and kmiecp like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

The worst is public transit , the whole bus or subway compartment can get sick due to one passenger sneezing and coughing , as the whole bus is closed and enclosed ..windows closed etc due to the cold weather and the same air is being circulated inside a tight closed place
    anastasia1009 likes this.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Totally wrong for businesses to allow sick people to be at work. Not only do they infect other employees but at stores and such, they spread their germs to the customers. I try not to get into a checkout where the cashier is clearly sick because I don't want them touching my stuff. Or seeing someone stocking a shelf then coughing in their hand, so gross.
    Candini likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    The worst is public transit , the whole bus or subway compartment can get sick due to one passenger sneezing and coughing , as the whole bus is closed and enclosed ..windows closed etc due to the cold weather and the same air is being circulated inside a tight closed place
    Not only that but any enclosed space, I actually got a nasty rash on my nose from the Dr.'s office, I touched a magazine, then touched my nose and next day got a painful rash. I went in for some cough medicine and got more than I bargained for. My immune system is so weak, someone cough / sneeze in front of me and I'll catch a cold.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

While I know you think this is gross, try to remember most of these people do not want to be there any more then you want them to be there while sick. Being unable to take a sick day when you cant afford to take a sick day really does not make you feel any better. I know we have been there, we are still there and it sucks, but what you do what you have to do.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Springbreeze View Post
    While I know you think this is gross, try to remember most of these people do not want to be there any more then you want them to be there while sick. Being unable to take a sick day when you cant afford to take a sick day really does not make you feel any better. I know we have been there, we are still there and it sucks, but what you do what you have to do.
    Most people don't even have sick days or casual days thesedays. If they are sick and don't show up, they lose a days pay.

The last company, I worked for they had a 2 weeks vacation per year ..that's it ! ..no other leaves whatsoever ..so if you called in sick , basically it was a day from your vacation !

I think by law they have to give you a vacation pay or days , so I guess they had that in place , otherwise maybe they wouldn't even have that

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    Most people don't even have sick days or casual days thesedays. If they are sick and don't show up, they lose a days pay.

The last company, I worked for they had a 2 weeks vacation per year ..that's it ! ..no other leaves whatsoever ..so if you called in sick , basically it was a day from your vacation !

I think by law they have to give you a vacation pay or days , so I guess they had that in place , otherwise maybe they wouldn't even have that
    Yep vacation day/vacation pay is governed by law, sick days are a benefit and not mandatory. I try my best to stay home if i'm sick, but when you have a cold that last weeks there's no way I can miss two weeks of work. I try my best to wash my hands as much as I can.
    Wanna make some spare cash? Check out Clixsense: http://www.clixsense.com/?5382267

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Ugh I was on set yesterday with a ton of people sniffling and blowing their nose in between takes! I have a feeling I may end up sick since my immune system is crap and I was stuck in close proximity to all these people for twelve hours two days in a row! I mean they could have said no sorry I'm sick and not spread their germs around as we are usually asked the day before if we want to work on specific sets!

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Best defense is to build and maintain the strongest immune system that you can.
    CrazyQT likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    258 (100%)

Well, where I work...you are allowed to miss 1 week out of 10 week in a session. If you miss one week, you loose your bonus and if you miss two you will recieve a written reprimand. If you have a doctor's note, you might be okay, depends on the supervisor and which workplace. I have been on both sides, as the teacher and the supervisor. Parents complain if their instructor isn't "consistent" and there every week. Do you want your child's instructor coming to work sick!! I've had to do it. It's horrible....worse yet is having the kids that say..I got to stay home from school today because I was sick..and now you're here.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    162 (100%)

My dr charges $20 for a sick note as well. So losing out on a days pay, bus fare to get to and from a dr and then another $20 out of pocket wasn't something I could do with being a single working parent.
    c_mcarthur and hydroxybutane like this.
    Zoombucks are back: Please consider using my link to sign up again: https://zoombucks.com/?ref=IIHO0L

Looking for WhiteStrips! MissMamaT's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I feel for you hun. Also, if a person is sick they really should not be wandering around stores casually, coughing and making other people (and their kids) sick. If I were in charge, I would mandate all people with respiratory illness have to wear a mask in public. I know it may sound extreme, but it would work wonders.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information