User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Where Do You Buy Your Seeds?

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nessa23 View Post
    this is what I was thinking.... there was another thread in this forum somewhere... about container gardening?? I will have to try to find it.

I want to do a large garden this year, but we moved to a new house, which DH built a 'garage' out back that kind of blocks the garden area that I was planning on doing my planting in. I'll have to wait before I plant anything to see if there will be shade created, and go from there.
    Hoping for some suggestions as to what type of veggies might want less light/more shade? And also where I might be able to find the 'containers' or big pots that I could put large plants/veggies in? Preferably free or cheap.... and creative ideas are best!
    Here!Don't wait a year to see where the shade in your yard will be-use this ultra handy free Google Maps based sun tracker I found!You can zoom in on your property and use the satellite feature to see where the sun will fall at different times throughout the year.You do have to take into consideration things like the new condos behind me and other obstructions that might block the light,but it is one of the best tools I've found. http://www.suncalc.net/#/49.1522,-12...13.02.11/22:58
    Last edited by secheltsaver; Tue, Dec 10th, 2013 at 06:45 PM.
    itsmewhoelse likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I like buying my seeds on

Rare Exotic Seeds

They are really specialized in Rare seeds and offers great services and rates.
    Erin
    TrueNorthTreasures likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

For those of you who have purchased from Heritage Harvest Seed, they are going to be holding a draw for $50 gift certificates from among those who submit reviews on their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Herit...90348220999168
    Last edited by TrueNorthTreasures; Tue, Dec 24th, 2013 at 03:28 PM.
    ROMEO likes this.
    Unique items and great deals to be found on the Halifax Cat Rescue Society auction page.
    Love snail mail? Try
    Postcrossing!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Here is Harrowsmith's annual list of "The Best Canadian Seed Companies". There were several neat ones listed I hadn't heard of before.

Happy Browsing!

http://harrowsmithalmanac.com/2014/0...-sources-2013/
    Last edited by TrueNorthTreasures; Wed, Dec 24th, 2014 at 12:14 PM.
    ROMEO and itsmewhoelse like this.
    Unique items and great deals to be found on the Halifax Cat Rescue Society auction page.
    Love snail mail? Try
    Postcrossing!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

How about an orchid seed?
    Where can i get orchid seeds?
    ROMEO likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

http://www.ehow.com/info_7956842_orc...wer-seeds.html

Orchid seeds are not considered satisfactory for self germination. Maybe you can get a plant?

Re: seeds-was in Cdn Tire recently to admire the two brands of seeds on display and a friend bought a few herb seed packets for me. Will look for OSC Seeds in another store for lettuce and other easy vegetables to grow in containers in a sunny spot.
    Last edited by Ciel; Thu, Jan 16th, 2014 at 11:11 PM.
    ROMEO likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

subscribing. ty
    Join me, and other women like YOU! BELIEVE & TRANSFORM is a community of positive, uplifting women who support and encourage each other with ZERO judgement!

We are women supporting women; moms helping moms. We are YOU. Join us today

Nicole
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I order everything online from Alberta Nurseries in Bowden, Alberta. At first I simply wanted to buy local and have them produced in a safe way; this nursery develops seeds with the University of Saskatchewan...and I have to say most of everything has been fantastic. They all seem to have a much better germination rate than plain old seeds from the store. I also order potato seeds and rhubarb plants from them (they simply let you know when they will ship). This is a very old company based from the early 1900s and they have pleased me for the past 4 years.

www.gardenersweb.ca/

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

I buy most of my seeds from Baker Creek in the US and William Dam here in Canada. There are also quite a few smaller seed places I will order from such as Prairie Garden Seeds and Hawthorn farms.

I order my aquilegia from Touchwood Plants in Wales. I have a lot now though so I don't need to order from her as much.

I haven't update it since early last year but here is my garden blog with some of the companies' links:

http://sanfordmarketgarden.blogspot....panies_27.html

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds is having a 2 day promo - 20% off seed orders - simply enter the code fall2014 at the checkout. I tried to find it posted on their Facebook page but didn't see it. I found out through their e-newsletter today!

http://www.rareseeds.com/

Valid until 8-20-14
    Love snail mail? Try
    Postcrossing!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Name:  sad seeds.jpg
Views: 1768
Size:  47.8 KB

Saw this posted on the Baker Creek Seeds Facebook page. I think I have this affliction! LOL!
    Newfiescreech, ROMEO, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

The days are getting longer after the winter solstice. Sun is still playing hide and seek, however! Bring on the seed catalogues.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I received my OSC catalogue a couple of weeks ago. Still waiting on Stokes, although I haven't ordered anything from them in a long time, I wonder if I have to request it again....
    ROMEO and TrueNorthTreasures like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I have received the OSC and the Heritage Harvest Seed catalogs and am looking forward to going through them. This year, I treated myself to the massive and beautiful Baker Creek Seeds catalog . To my surprise, it was displayed in the magazine rack at Shoppers Drug Mart! I also enjoy the catalog from The Cottage Gardener in Ontario, but I'm not sure I'll receive one this year, as I didn't place an order with them last year.
    ROMEO likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

For those of you in Canada who grow heirloom vegetables, herbs, and flowers: Salt Spring Seeds has recently updated their website and in their latest newsletter, put out a call for high quality pictures of the items they sell. For every picture sent in that is used on the website, the owner, Dan, will send the photographer two packets of seeds of their choice! The pictures submitted have to be original/belong to the person submitting them.

For more details, check out the latest Salt Spring Seeds newsletter, or me pm your email address and I will forward it to you.
    Last edited by TrueNorthTreasures; Sun, Jan 11th, 2015 at 07:49 PM.
    Love snail mail? Try
    Postcrossing!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information