User Tag List

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By moni0021
  • 1 Post By joani
  • 1 Post By moni0021
  • 2 Post By mrsf1sh

Thread: Thanks Walmart for the diseased plants .

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So last spring I got some money. I don't have much, so when I get a bit extra I try to buy things that should last. As my mothers day treat for me. I bought some things for my garden. Some pots, some pot holders and four small high producing blueberry bushes. I think they were a dwarf high bush blueberry. They had an enormous amount of blossoms . I was so excited. I had to figure each plant had enough blossoms to pay for themselves in a couple of years.
    Within a week of bringing them home all the blossoms died and the plants looked like they were burnt? I thought it was my fault. That I forgot to water them a couple days too many. I took care of them the rest of the season. And they looked good but sad. At least they lived right? . And this spring I promised that nothing was gonna happen like that again. I watched them carefully. And again they were crazy in bloom. It was going great but then the blossoms turned brown and grumpy again. I was so devastated. So obviously I had to google my problem. Why were four plants sad and the other five blueberries I have are fine. They are all different types of breeds. Well sad to learn the four plants I got last year have a fungus called" mummy berry" .
    Never , heard of it? Me neither.
    It works by both killing the flowers and damaging the plant. Then some of the blossoms turn into berries and some of those then shrivel up right on the plant. It might look like again , you didn't water enough. But Again, its not you. Those little mummified berry's then fall off and get lost under the plant. Some people call them zombie berries. I might agree. Cause those undead berry's comes back to life in the spring. They become a weird shaped fungus spore and reinfect the whole plant again WTF.I am now sad. I have had some of my plants for almost four years. And this mummy berry thing has infected all of my plants. I had thought some were fine, but now they are showing the same signs as the others. The flowers are dying. The promise of a good berry season has died. Now I can either throw out all my plants , and kiss goodbye to my time , and the money invested in all the plants or hopefully treat the problem with fungicide weekly. I have researched all about my problem and have decided to go with the fungicide. I hope it works and my plants survive.
    Thanks Walmart for the mummy berry infected plants. I see the same plants in stores again this year. Did they come from the same place? Will this happen to more people this year? Did this happen to anyone you know? I wonder what would happen if your neighbors had a blueberry farm, and this infected their crops. I live in Langley, BC. There are berry farms everywhere. Thanks for reading my rant. If anything I guess you got a lesson in a blueberry fungus. And I got a lesson on not all healthy looking plants are healthy :-( Thanks Walmart for the Mother's Day present that keeps on giving .
    This thread is currently associated with: Guess, Spring Shoes, Walmart
    ticul likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Same thing happened to a blueberry bush I got from canadian tire... Had no idea why it was happening, your rant has actually given me helpful info and i think I will get rid of it if it s buds shrivel up this year too..
    sorry about your experience, I know how much effort goes into getting a garden going and the pride you get when it works as well as the huge let down when something destroys a part of it...

any plans on writting to walmarts customer service?
    ticul likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm sure I have no proof. The receipt is long gone. If I had taken pictures for proof? I dislike fighting. Do I just take this as I learned my lesson. Fungus sucks. I do worry about other people and their plants. I intended to buy more of these this year. Lol , and honestly this year I intended to hand them out as Mother's Day gifts. Glad I didn't . So glad to I could help some one else
    ticul likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    132 (100%)

Oh that really sucks I see you are in Langley... I was checking out garden stuff, and plants for sale on craigslist. There were a couple of farms and greenhouses in the gva that we're selling off plants. Much more reasonable prices too. Support local growers, and not the big box stores! I am sure they take better care of their product than a seasonal section in walmart. It might just be better to replace them with some fungus free bushes, instead of wasting time and money on fungicide.
    this one they are $3
    http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rd...435821450.html
    $4 or 3 for $10
    http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pm...388689944.html
    Last edited by mrsf1sh; Tue, May 13th, 2014 at 02:06 PM.
    ticul and Durham Couponer like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

that sucks...... i bought my ceder trees from canadian tire last spring & im actually SHOCKED that all but one survived. I even kept the bill b/c they have a one yr warrenty. I dont think I'll be buying from walmart.

Thread Information