User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Not a long weekend for all.

OgresWife
    Trading Score
    52 (100%)

I was working cash last night and so many people asked what my plans were for the long weekend. When I replied I was working everyday, so many people were shocked! Yes, we are open regular hours all weekend. Weekends aren't really weekends for most people anymore, let alone long weekends. Usually, the only way I get one is if I book one off. Which is hard enough when I regularly work 4 different departments and have to inform all 4 managers of a time off request.

*I work in a grocery store in NS.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

The same people who likely have a long weekend off fail to realize in a regular workweek who is working to keep grocery stores and big box stores staffed for the extended hours on early mornings, weeknights and weekends usually.
    The fact you have 4 managers to inform for time off indicates to me that your willingness to work is how you ensure sufficient hours at work. The managers seem to be just looking out for their department.
    I really hope the managers are offering break room snacks and lots of encouragement and assistance when needed on the sales floor. Do your best and if some of your regulars tip you off to positions that may advance your career(or internal positions within your store chain or at HQ), check them out.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

OgresWife
    Trading Score
    52 (100%)

Work isn't usually a huge hassle for me. Normally I don't mind being there and we're coming into tourist season so it will be busy and more hours for me, hopefully. Its just the assumption of some cutomers, lol. They're the same ones who will be in the store on Monday and remark what a shame it is for us to be working. *eye roll*

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

I completely agree. in my dh's job, if the holiday falls during the week, whether a monday or christmas. He can remember a time when EVERYTHING was closed on Sundays so everyone had no choice BUT to spend it with family.
    Maybe we should bring back those days.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

same thing here. I work for a customs broker. We only close on Christmas Day because the trucking industry is 365. I NEVER get long weekends because I work Sunday-Thursday, so if the holiday is on the Monday, I get the Friday/Saturday off, work the Sunday then get the Monday. We do have limited staff on holidays (6 people doing the work that 40 normally do), and we get extra for working it, so I usually take the shifts if I can. Might as well seeing as I already had to work the Sunday! Don't get me wrong, I love my Sunday-Thursday schedule, wouldn't change that for the world, but long weekends just mean absolutely nothing to me anymore.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    I completely agree. in my dh's job, if the holiday falls during the week, whether a monday or christmas. He can remember a time when EVERYTHING was closed on Sundays so everyone had no choice BUT to spend it with family.
    Maybe we should bring back those days.

I seriously doubt there was a time when everything was closed. Even if if shops, offices and banks were closed, there were still plenty of people who worked Sundays and bank holidays. Farmers, hospital staff, police and often factory workers since re-tarting the macheriny was costly in time and effort not to mention lost profit from a day of idleness.

I had a co-worker who used to sigh nostaligally over Dickensian style Christmas until she saw a version of A Christmas Carol and told us that the scene where Scrooge was taking to the passing urchin about the butcher being open was obviously written for the movie.

Imagin her horror when she read the book and others of the time and found that thre were no such things as week-end closings or bank holiodays for the vast majority of workers. It was onlythje upper classes which had the money to have those kind of leisure activities.
    avoncallingu likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    I seriously doubt there was a time when everything was closed. Even if if shops, offices and banks were closed, there were still plenty of people who worked Sundays and bank holidays. Farmers, hospital staff, police and often factory workers since re-tarting the macheriny was costly in time and effort not to mention lost profit from a day of idleness.

I had a co-worker who used to sigh nostaligally over Dickensian style Christmas until she saw a version of A Christmas Carol and told us that the scene where Scrooge was taking to the passing urchin about the butcher being open was obviously written for the movie.

Imagin her horror when she read the book and others of the time and found that thre were no such things as week-end closings or bank holiodays for the vast majority of workers. It was onlythje upper classes which had the money to have those kind of leisure activities.
    It is actually true that in a lot of Canada places weren't allowed to be open on Sundays.You went to church and sucked it up. I remember that, and I'm under 40. A lot of towns and cities make companies apply for an exemption as a tourist attraction (BC Ferries, Toronto Eaton Center), in order to bypass the bylaws that are still on the books. Some companies find that is just more porfitable to work stats and Sundays and pay the fines. Nothing was open in my BC city in the 80's and 90's when I was growing up. Retail was shut down, obviously emergency services were an exception. Without refrigerators butchers would be open all the time in Dickensian times because they'd have to preserve the meat, but in the past 100 years refrigeration would negate that need.

I'm an essential services worker, and I totally get the working the stat holiday syndrome. Aka What holiday?
    avoncallingu likes this.
    Join the Ajax Coupon Group: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/119179048289492/

Use Instacart for free credit towards your order! Earn cash in a flexible part time job! Referral code KRISTAJ961A3 https://shoppers.instacart.com/?refe...upply_referral

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by OgresWife View Post
    I was working cash last night and so many people asked what my plans were for the long weekend. When I replied I was working everyday, so many people were shocked! Yes, we are open regular hours all weekend. Weekends aren't really weekends for most people anymore, let alone long weekends. Usually, the only way I get one is if I book one off. Which is hard enough when I regularly work 4 different departments and have to inform all 4 managers of a time off request.

*I work in a grocery store in NS.
    Companies fought to get Sunday shopping.

Wondering if the customers were making conversation and did not know what to ask you.

I use to work cash too. Worked many weekends and holidays. Worked full time, part time and went to school. Just counted the money and made sure the pay check was right.
    avoncallingu and DianneS like this.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

I have to admit that I made such a comment to a Canadian Tire cashier on Friday. I was hoping she would get SOME time off but I guess she didn't hear me.
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Marks Workwearhouse
    never pay more than $1.00 for good quality socks
    never pay more than $1.00 for ear plugs

couponmummy posted a great deal a couple of years ago about this
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/169632-...se-pic-canada/

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

after itsjills thread, trying to never pay more than
    $15 for home phone
    $15 for basic cell phone
    $25 for basic cable TV
    $35 for basic internet

http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/226818-...any-canada-18/

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

thanks to SC personal finance thread,
    -->will never pay monthly fees for a bank account
    PC Financial, ING (aka Tangerine Bank) and many others

-->will never accept 0.25% interest on a bank savings account
    PC and Tangerine bank will give 0.75% to 2.5% interest promotions on savings accounts

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post

In Quebec stores only were allowed to open on Sundays beginning in the 90's. Before that store hours were Mon-Wed 9-5, Thurs. Fri 9-9 and Sat. 9-5.

The push to change the laws began here with a store called Cohoes. They defied the laws and paid $5K in fines for every store but they contended it was worth it. Eventually the laws changed and allowed for extended hours on all days
    GeorgiaK and Durham Couponer like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

I, too, remember when retail stores in BC were closed on Sundays. I also remember that there were still people working at restaurants, gas stations, pubs, etc. I feel it's unfortunate for young families when it becomes difficult to find one day a week to spend time together. However, I doubt there is any going back. In fact, the major mall in our city was recently re-developed and expanded and they are now open until 9 p.m., seven days a week. It might be good for shoppers but I am sure it is difficult for staff, even if it has opened up a few more jobs. (I note they are not exactly over-staffed in the evenings.)
    Patty Smyth likes this.
    So many coupons....so little time!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Shwa Girl, did you get hacked?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information