User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Reusable bags

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I've seen my fair share of nasty (and I mean NASTY) reusable bags. Everything from the black canvas type bags covered in cat or dog hair which stink equally as bad. Just a hint for those of you that use reusable bags and keep them in your home where you smoke. Those bags REEK like a dirty ashtray but worse. The smell of smoke is so overwhelming and nasty. Some of the plastic ones smell like rotten milk and have crumbs and crap caked in the corners of them. Others are full of holes with broken straps but they still expect cashiers to pack every single item in the bag. If you are buying more than will fit in your bag, come prepared to pay for a bag or carry it out without a bag. Cashiers can't always fit everything in even though you won't buy a bag.

I'm all for using recyclable bags but have some consideration for the people that have to come in contact with them. We definitely do not want to be looking at, touching or smelling your nasty reusable bags.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyQT View Post
    I'm all for using recyclable bags but have some consideration for the people that have to come in contact with them. We definitely do not want to be looking at, touching or smelling your nasty reusable bags.
    does your employer give you hand sanitizer at your cash desk?
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    Erg!! Then I have been refused points for a made up reason!! The cashier told me those rules have been changed and it's only for PC bags only. They've also given me points for one bag when I've used five. I thought you were supposed to get points for each bag?

I simply replaced my PC card and it was much less hassle.

Someone told me it's now 10 PC points per bag, which works out to $0.01.

i live in a small town and do almost all my shopping @ my rcss. Our rcss employees never try to sell their pc reusable bags nor have i EVER heard about the restrictions on bags. AnD i always get pcpoints for my reusable bags........ And we have to bag our shopping. The cashiers never bag anything.....

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Can someone tell me what are the restrictions they are trying to impose and WHY????
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Yes we supply hand sanitizer but it's still gross. LOL Luckily for me I'm only on cash as a very last resort.
    Shwa Girl and OgresWife like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by amira84 View Post
    Can someone tell me what are the restrictions they are trying to impose and WHY????
    Here's why
    BRAMPTON, ON, April 9, 2013 /CNW/ - (TSX: L) - Loblaw Companies Limited (Loblaw) is proud to announce that with the support of their customers they have reduced the number of plastic shopping bags from their stores nationally by more than five billion since 2007. This reduction is a part of one of Loblaw's five principles of corporate social responsibility, Respect the Environment, and emphasizes its commitment to waste diversion.
    "We started with a target of one billion just over three years ago. To have hit five billion fewer plastic bags this quickly says we are on the right track," says Bob Chant, senior vice-president, Corporate Affairs and Communication, Loblaw Companies Limited. "As one of Canada's leading retailers, we believe it is important to help look after the health of our environment and lead by example."
    Since 2009 through to and including 2013, Loblaw has donated $5 million to WWF-Canada through partial proceeds from the sale of plastic shopping bags in their stores. These funds are invested in a variety of initiatives to help promote environmental sustainability and raise awareness. These funds help support programs that engage Canadians to positively affect the environment.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reusable_shopping_bag

"An unpublished report from the UK's Environment Agency found that when compared to a traditional plastic bag, a canvas or cotton reusable bag would have to be reused a total of 171 times to offset the higher carbon emissions. The same study found however that the average cotton bag is used only 51 times before being thrown away." - from Wikipedia

I'm not sure my bags last being used 171 times, so does it really make a difference? It all feels like a magic trick. While my attention is diverted (thinking I'm saving the environment), I'm really creating a larger carbon footprint.
    and i'm sure thats your average COTTON bag.. but for most my bags that i've been forced into using they are almost all a polyester bag which is even worse environmentally
    Anna Michele likes this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

i get pretty grossed out by some of the reusable bags i see while i'm shopping. like at metro, people hand all their bags over to the cashier or put them at the belt in front of all their items. i see filthy bags making their way from the belt to the other side of the scanner, and i am definitely thinking about dirt, bacteria, pet hair, etc. it just seems really nasty. i suppose money is just as gross though... man, cashiers have a dirtier job than i thought time to call mike rowe
    Shwa Girl, Anna Michele and harley like this.

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

I never thought about how dirty they must get. I always forget mine so they are pretty clean and would NEVER put my chicken or meat into one of them i'd rather cough up 5c.
    As for pet hair ewwww why are your pets anywhere near your groceries... gross

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

I just called Loblaws and they said you only get points of you're using the pc debit or credit card, not if you just have a pc plus points card. Is anyone getting points not using a pc debit/credit card (just the points card)?
    Shwa Girl and luckbealady like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

There are lots of fabulous pins on Pinterest with instructions on making fabric bags. Many of them use recycled clothing, old fabric, draperies, etc. Making a bunch of these (double thickness so they are very sturdy) is on my "to do" list. I like the idea of being able to put them through the washer and dryer to keep them sanitary. Having them all uniform in size would make them easier to cart around, too.
    Anna Michele likes this.
    So many coupons....so little time!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by r0c0upons View Post
    i get pretty grossed out by some of the reusable bags i see while i'm shopping. like at metro, people hand all their bags over to the cashier or put them at the belt in front of all their items. i see filthy bags making their way from the belt to the other side of the scanner, and i am definitely thinking about dirt, bacteria, pet hair, etc. it just seems really nasty. i suppose money is just as gross though... man, cashiers have a dirtier job than i thought time to call mike rowe
    Yes. The belt can get dirty.
    But that is what you CAN see.
    I saw someone put their baby on the belt to "walk" (dirty shoes) or even worse/more dangerous, on the bum wearing a diaper to "ride" the belt. Good thing I stopped them when I was working cash, before the baby got a pinched bum. But still, the baby sitting on the cash belt, the diaper can leak*.

Always wrap your meat, produce, veggies in bags and avoid *"wet spots"
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Mon, May 26th, 2014 at 06:21 PM.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Michele View Post
    I never thought about how dirty they must get. I always forget mine so they are pretty clean and would NEVER put my chicken or meat into one of them i'd rather cough up 5c.
    As for pet hair ewwww why are your pets anywhere near your groceries... gross

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk
    My bags have pet hair on them I admit. With 4 dogs and 3 cats, it's bound to happen. But it doesn't bother me at all. My pets are clean. Certainly A LOT cleaner than some people's 2-legged darlings. Can you imagine the amount of bacteria there is on shopping carts from the diapers, drool, snotty noses and all other bodily fluids they always seem to be leaking? And that is not even mentioning whatever the adults!
    Just call me Wolfie

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwoman View Post
    My bags have pet hair on them I admit. With 4 dogs and 3 cats, it's bound to happen. But it doesn't bother me at all. My pets are clean. Certainly A LOT cleaner than some people's 2-legged darlings. Can you imagine the amount of bacteria there is on shopping carts from the diapers, drool, snotty noses and all other bodily fluids they always seem to be leaking? And that is not even mentioning whatever the adults!
    My black PC bags are covered in dog hair too

For meats and BBQ chicken, I try and use my M&M cooler bags - the lining is very easy to wipe clean with a Lysol wipe.
    I haven't had any issue with my reusable bags falling apart, although the zippers on my cooler bags have broken. Can't complain too much though, as the majority of my bags were free when everyone started phasing out the plastic bags and were offering promotions.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I used to buy reusable bags at every store. But it's not much of a discount when I buy these bags and always forget them at home. I have never encountered having to use a store specific bag. If I did I would leave and not shop there.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information