User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Did Walmart Change Their Policy??

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

For the past 6 years, I have been doing my grocery shopping at Walmart on Saturday mornings. This past Saturday was no different. I advised the cashier that pretty much everything in my cart was a price match. She started huffing and puffing and rolling her eyes (not exactly how I want to start my day). The first item I placed on the belt were Great Value frozen waffles. I wanted to price match Food Basics store brand waffles. First words out of her mouth were "no can't do that". I said why not? She said we don't price match store brand to store brand. I told her I have been doing this every Saturday morning for the past 6 years. She said no again. I asked to speak to the manager. She called someone on the phone and that someone said "no" as well. I asked for her name as I would be writing in to Walmart HO. Next thing the cashier starts doing the PM and then the woman that she spoke to came over and said "HI my name is so and so and I will allow it this time." What??? Does Walmart not price match store brand to store brand any more??? Can someone please let me know?? Also, this same cashier wanted to reduce the amount of a higher value coupon to the value of the product. I told her No, Walmart allows overages and she said no again. Once again, I had to ask for the manager. This time another woman came over and she told me she would only allow it on buggy purchases. What the heck does that mean?? I said I have a buggy full of groceries!!!! At the end, that coupon had expired which was totally my fault for not paying attention. Needless to say, Saturday's shopping was a disaster.
    This thread is currently associated with: Food Basics, Walmart
    Last edited by toronto166; Mon, May 26th, 2014 at 09:41 AM.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

No, they do ad match store brand to store brand. I went through this with eggs recently, and in the end, they called me back in and gave me free eggs because the cashier AND the cash supervisor were mistaken. That said, seems like every store makes its own rules.
    FreeIsMyFavourite likes this.

Shameless Reps FTW krysta lynne's Avatar
    Trading Score
    22 (100%)

ive never pm'ed store brands. i was unaware that was allowed
    anisa, aussie, GoJays and 5 others like this.
    Feel free to use my shop.ca referral link! Tons of products and great deals! http://www.shop.ca?plcktb=ZwVwXmoC0

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Walmart Canada has an Ad Match Policy (not a Price Match Policy). Therefore, when it comes to store brands, it is at the discretion of the store manager whether or not he/she will allow a store brand to be matched to Walmart's store brand.

Also, the coupons you were using - were they P&G coupons? Or a coupon that actually states on it "no cash or credit in excess of the shelf (selling) price can be given to the customer or applied to the transaction"? Because, if the coupon, did, the cashier was correct. The overage guideline came out BEFORE P&G (and some others) have started stating this on their coupons. I contacted Walmart in the past month about this issue, and they did state that when that is on the coupon, the cashier should be adjusting the value of the coupon to what it sold for if the coupon is higher than the selling price (I then asked Walmart that maybe they should update their guidelines for coupon usage since their overage allowed policy was before P&G and some others started adding this to the coupons).
    Last edited by ilovecats; Mon, May 26th, 2014 at 05:41 PM.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I have always PM'd store brand butter at Walmart. Never had an issue.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Me too, especially on eggs and butter. Thanks for the replies ladies.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

No they were not P&G coupons. Thanks for your input ilovecats.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by krysta lynne View Post
    ive never pm'ed store brands. i was unaware that was allowed
    same here. Thanks OP for sharing. Learning something new everyday

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

A store brand isn't something I would expect to pm.
    anisa, scbpooh, aussie and 8 others like this.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Walmart's ad match states that it has to be an identical item(printed on the back of the flyer). Freshco states they'll price match comparable items in case of private lables. I swear I read on the Walmart flyer at one point that they did price match store brands but I could be mistaking.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by annedougherty View Post
    A store brand isn't something I would expect to pm.
    Anne, I appreciate your comment and respect your choices. I have PM'd store brand for store brand for years. My kids and grand kids can't tell the difference between Great Value, Selection and Eggo Waffles or Shoppers Simply Food eggs (store brand) and Great Value eggs (store brand) (1.99 vs. 2.64). I will continue to try to save what I can for my family. I was just wondering if anything had changed. I now know that not all Walmart stores allow it.

Once again. Thank you to everyone for your replies.

Trading Score
    450 (100%)

Two weeks ago I was in at WM with a raincheck (6 items on the rain check) I was only purchasing 1 item.
    The cashier told me that WM had changed it's raincheck policy and now if you only buy 1 item when the rain check is written out for 6 , they will not reduce the raincheck to 5 and give it back to you.

Yesterday I went in, doing the same kind of transaction with a raincheck and the cashier (a different cashier from 2 weeks ago) reduced the raincheck to 5 and gave it back to me.

So frustrating that WM can't get all their cashiers on the same page !
    I now know which cashier I'll be avoiding
    Trade List /Wishlist: http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/382792-dreamcatcher1962s-trade-wish-lists-canada/#post5928904

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by toronto166 View Post
    Anne, I appreciate your comment and respect your choices. I have PM'd store brand for store brand for years. My kids and grand kids can't tell the difference between Great Value, Selection and Eggo Waffles or Shoppers Simply Food eggs (store brand) and Great Value eggs (store brand) (1.99 vs. 2.64). I will continue to try to save what I can for my family. I was just wondering if anything had changed. I now know that not all Walmart stores allow it.

Once again. Thank you to everyone for your replies.
    It's not my opinion really. Many stores don't allow it. It's like all store policies though. Not all cashiers are always 100% clear on policies so if you do it and it works for you then great Not taking any digs at you or anything.
    aussie likes this.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I think that the application of policy varies not only because of insufficient training of cash personnel, but also because of the management's interpretation of store guidelines or policies.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by dreamcatcher1962 View Post
    Two weeks ago I was in at WM with a raincheck (6 items on the rain check) I was only purchasing 1 item.
    The cashier told me that WM had changed it's raincheck policy and now if you only buy 1 item when the rain check is written out for 6 , they will not reduce the raincheck to 5 and give it back to you.

Yesterday I went in, doing the same kind of transaction with a raincheck and the cashier (a different cashier from 2 weeks ago) reduced the raincheck to 5 and gave it back to me.

So frustrating that WM can't get all their cashiers on the same page !
    I now know which cashier I'll be avoiding
    They can't get their management on the same page, how are they expected to get their cashiers there. I keep saying complain to the head office. They are the only ones who have the power to do anything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information