User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Cracker Barrel cheese reduced size!!

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

To keep up with inflation, it's either they raise the price, or reduce the size. I might be wrong but I think sales have shown that people balk less at 10% smaller packaging over a 10% higher price tag. It wasn't that long ago that standard cheese bricks were 600g (ah, and bananas were $0.29/lb). As much as it frustrates us, every manufacturer has to do it at one point or another.
    Natalka and Dee09 like this.
    Jesus saves!
    SWAGBUCKS pays for so many of my housewares... http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/DizzyB

So many ways to earn at Mintvine https://mintvine.com/users/register/...9d2f2fe5be93d3

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dizzyb View Post
    To keep up with inflation, it's either they raise the price, or reduce the size. I might be wrong but I think sales have shown that people balk less at 10% smaller packaging over a 10% higher price tag. It wasn't that long ago that standard cheese bricks were 600g (ah, and bananas were $0.29/lb). As much as it frustrates us, every manufacturer has to do it at one point or another.
    I remember when the bricks were 800g and the small size ones were 500g. They've been reducing the size for years. The bricks used to be much wider than they are now.

But this is happening with everything that is packaged. The size gets smaller so that they don't increase the price. Customers notice a price increase right away and object, but don't notice a size decrease. T
    Dee09, dizzyb and GoJays like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SavvyLady View Post
    I don't know if this was mentioned, I was in a rush and picked up the cracker barrel cheese on sale at Independent for $4.99 when I got home I noticed the size was reduced from 500 grams to 460 grams.this was the marbled cheese not the other cheeses that are smaller in size.I'm really getting fed up with all these companies!!! I guess I'll start buying more cheese in the states!!
    Personally, I would not buy dairy products in the US. Canadian milk is highly regulated. Antibiotics are not allowed in Canadian milk. Dairy cattle are also not given hormones in Canada. U.S. milk has both antibiotics and growth hormones. Given that antibiotic resistance is one of the biggest growing threats to our health, I am grateful to still be able to get antibiotic-free milk and dairy products without having to pay a premium price for organic milk and dairy products.

I have also started paying attention to the source of the meat I buy. When the meat goes on sale at its lowest price, it is often meat imported from the US, which uses hormones. Hormones are not allowed in Canadian meat (so that A&W commercial touting how their burgers are hormone-free is actually pretty meaningless. All Canadian meat is hormone-free). Canadian meat does have antibiotics though, unless it is organic or the lines of free-from meats (PC has one, and so does Schneiders).

These are all choices that each individual must make for herself of course, but I'm not certain that the majority of Canadian consumers are aware of the differences between Canadian and U.S. animal products.
    Natalka, Dee09, dizzyb and 1 others like this.

windowwendy
    Trading Score
    16 (100%)

i think it is becuase of the minimum wage that went up June 1st. Lays has just started shrinking the size of chips. the small bag used to be 88g and now is 66g
    Dee09 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yes, minimum wage keeps going up which increases the price of everything. Only problem is that my wage never goes up to compensate so it gets harder and harder to keep up.
    Dee09 likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information