• 1 Post By mandy403
  • 1 Post By luckbealady
  • 2 Post By Shwa Girl
  • 1 Post By seylz_gurl
  • 1 Post By N@t@

Thread: NEW HOMEOWNERS SCREWED! I think??? Help with info please

Trading Score
    159 (100%)

My fiance and I just purchase our first home May 13 2014 and signed up for a 5year fixed rate contract with Enmax. Suppose to get Free electricity for a year.

Fast forward to May 28 2014 a sale representative came to our door claiming to to be a supplier for Enmax. A protecting program from Just energy. I assumed it was something to do with Enmax because we are New home owners and that's what the guy said. He asked to see our Enmax contract. Mind you Fiance was sleeping and was woken up by this guy because we thought it was something to do with Enmax!!! My partner was informed by this guy that everything stays the same with enmax and that when we see our enmax bill certain prices will be deducted. I was there to witness it all. The sale representative made us believe he was a supplier for Enmax but now I am not sure??? I kepted asking my fiance if he was sure and he said yes. There are over 590 complaints with Better Business Bureau for Just Energy and now I am worried we are screwed.

To get out of the contract it's $450!!!!

We are young and just starting out and don't understand everything. Any info/help from my smartcanucks would be greatly appreciated.

Is Enmax one company or do they work with Just Energy?

I am so confused

Please be nice as I am so upset about this

UPDATE
    THANK GOODNESS!!! I Just found this link http://globalnews.ca/news/918780/com...rgy-marketers/ You can also cancel 30 days after receiving the first bill, without penalty. We haven't received any bill!!!

This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by mandy403; Fri, Jun 20th, 2014 at 05:59 AM.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Thank goodness you got out of it. Just remember to never ever EVER EVER sign anything at the door.
    I made this mistake many years ago before all these new laws so I went through 5 years of higher than I should be paying hydro bills since the cost to get out of the contract was more than the extra on the bills. I hate these scammer idiots.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Yes, I second don't ever sign up for anything at the door.
    Tweets77 and hollyquaiscer like this.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Yes, I second don't ever sign up for anything at the door.
    Yep, never give out info to people going door to door.

I actually just had a VERY persistent guy at my door. I finally had to shut the door in his face. On one hand I feel bad but it's better than being scammed.

If you're unsure ask them to mail you something. Gives you time to think and research. If nothing ever arrives, you know it's a scam.
    hollyquaiscer, N@t@ and peachies like this.

Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Thanks everyone lessons learned we cancelled with Just Energy back with Enmax!!!
    hollyquaiscer likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

You have to be very careful with companies that come to your door.

We had one last year - they called us first and mentioned that our contract for duct cleaning with them had reached the 5 year mark and they would be coming out to do the routine cleaning. We okayed it, but after began to wonder what contract we had. None of us could remember having a contract with a duct cleaning company.

When they showed up, we asked to see the contract, which of course they didn't have. Luckily we just sent them on their way, because I'm sure they would have charged us for a bunch of junk if we had let them in.
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

We even ask Bell and Direct Energy to put their "deals" in writing and mail or e-mail to us to look over. If they push and say you don't have time to get this offer, we pass. They will always come up with another one.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

had a very aggressive person at door trying to replace the water heater. this shouldn't be allowed. glad to hear you got out of the contract.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    361 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bargain_hunter_lola View Post
    Yep, never give out info to people going door to door.

I actually just had a VERY persistent guy at my door. I finally had to shut the door in his face. On one hand I feel bad but it's better than being scammed.

If you're unsure ask them to mail you something. Gives you time to think and research. If nothing ever arrives, you know it's a scam.
    Lol it's what we keep telling my father-in-law .. if not sure, ask them to mail/e-mail it to you and THEN decide what to do with that (he lives alone and was scamed a few times now ).

Thread Information