User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Am I a horrible person???

CaNewbie-Eager To Learn!
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Family is the best thing in the world, and to be rejected by almost-immidiate family is rough. I have a brother who doesn't talk to me, but three other siblings I talk to daily, and although it hurts that my brother has always hated me (literally for no reason) I feel like I will be indifferent. For me his funeral will be a chance to go back home and see my family. Wow that sounds horrible. So I guess I'm a horrible person too? But I am just being real.

Sorry for your loss.
    Ciel, i_forget and wolfwoman like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    43 (100%)

No, you're not a horrible person.
    You lost your grandmother when you were 13. You probably grieved enough back then.
    Sorry you had to find out like you did. You will probably have some sad days but it's for what could and should have been.
    Ciel and i_forget like this.
    The best things in life...aren't things

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Not a terrible person at all.I found out about my grandmother dying in a round about manner,too.I felt truly sorry for my aunt,who was very close to her,but found it impossible to mourn her passing on a more personal level for reasons very similar to yours.I didn't choose to be stuck in the middle of a dysfunctional family feud as a child of an ugly divorce,and neither did you.You're just being honest with your emotions,which makes you one of the good people
    Ciel, i_forget and wolfwoman like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I haven't spoken to my mother since November. My brother? It's got to be years.

Too toxic.

Absence does not make the heart fonder
    Ciel, kidsteph, Gazpache and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks everyone for all the positive words. I am feeling better about my emotions today. I suppose I will never get over the hurt and rejection from that side of the family. I was an innocent bystander, however knowing that I am not the only one and that I chose to be a better person and not be like that is reassuring.

I am sorry to all those who have also gone through this in their lives.
    Natalka, Ciel, kidsteph and 2 others like this.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

some of us have grown up with certain elders in our lives and have no emotional connection to them whatsoever.

it was their responsibility to cultivate a relationship, and as the child all you can do is follow their examples.

to not love a close (by relation) family member is ok. it happens with many people. you are in no way a horrible person
    pippinelkhound, Ciel and i_forget like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbella View Post
    Not at all. My Father has never been a part of my life, and when he dies, I likely will not feel much of anything. I know I am not a bad person. You cannot feel emotionally attached to a person when they have neglected you your entire life.
    I agree. I have a few family members who are miserable and toxic.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

OP, you will likely be feeling something over the next while. You are not horrible at all; you also learned how grandparents could not rise up over their offspring's divorce for reasons not vocalized to you. If there is something unanswered for you, it could help to see a counsellor to find out if he/she notices something obvious during your session. Such feedback may confirm what you know or point out something you had not realized was apparent to an outsider.

Two levels here-talk to grandmother aloud on a walk or during a quiet time at home. Let her know you have learned of her passing and hope she is free from whatever kept her from keeping in touch with your. Tell her you reached out when you could and that her lack of response did hurt you as an adult and that possibly her own upbringing could have influenced her choices. Say you realize that you could not mind read her but her behaviour had consequences that reminded you of your teen years. If you have any photos of her and a few good memories of her, tell her that you remember when she was able to share contact with you on better terms.

Other level-the on-off contact after parents' divorce, that muddles the respect your elders mantra, adults who should have helped you get through the divorce but were hurting themselves or absorbed in keeping daily life going, the teen who got left out of family contact. That hurts and it's time to say it aloud that the adults let you down too in the process.

You have your own grief to shape, voice and deal with. It's a journey to help you recognize a person's passing closes a relationship. You may recognize which existing relationships you want to reinforce or ensure stay strong as a result of your experiences with your grandmother and not wanting to see that occur with those vital relationships.
    Gazpache likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

You must remember that your grandparents were from a very different time. My dh's mother (divorced) was the same way. She did know some of her grandchildren, but mine...she didn't even know their names. She always went out of her way to try and cause trouble and ran be down constantly for over 30 years.

She passed away 2 months ago. dh and I went to her funeral, only out of respect for his siblings. My children did no go ad had the same feeing as you YOU'RE NOT a bad person! It's hard to have an emotional attachment to someone you hardly knew let alone understand
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information