User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree168Likes

Thread: I am I being "offensive" and not being serious [story/rant]

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't get it. There has to be something going on with him that has absolutely nothing to do with what you said. I don't see anything offensive about your text.
    ROMEO, Lynn49 and ticul like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think he over reacted. You have known each other for a long time and he would know how both of you joke and banter back and forth. I didn't find what you said offensive. Is it possible he was having a bad day, maybe going through something personal that made him act this way? Hopefully he will realize and come around.
    Natalka, ROMEO, Lynn49 and 1 others like this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

To me...Your co-worker is sounding rather entitled to your services as a driver..

Offering a lift is one thing, but expecting one every day is another.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    To me...Your co-worker is sounding rather entitled to your services as a driver..

Offering a lift is one thing, but expecting one every day is another.
    Absolutely! Couldn't agree more. Although offering to help with a lift now and than is courteous, feeling obligated to so is awkward and personally I would never ever want to drive someone every day. Too much stress being on time, going straight home rather than having flexible plans after work....would he expect to tag along on your after-work dates or errand runs?
    I think this worked out rather nicely for you, truth be told. Just a guess, but it seems as if he felt there was a understanding between you two about his intrusion into your life, and your little joke, as innocent as it was, likely reinforced to him, that he was butting in, and that you had "caught on".
    Whew! I think you dodged a bullet there!
    walkonby, erin9mmm and Cata like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sounds like your friend cant take a joke!
    Join Swagbucks for free amazon gift cards! $500 earned so far!!

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

Win.. where ya been?? life good ? hope its treating you well
    just brush it off my friend.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by win-star View Post
    I responded "Who is this?! I forgot!! .... Joking haha"
    Any chance auto-correct changed your text into something weird? I hear that happens.

If not, then he sounds like a loon.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am the type of person who likes to joke around but when I sense someone who doesn't like or tells me they don't want to joke that day ... I'd stop joking around.

People who I talk to and close to, then i would joke alot.

I turned off auto correct for my text messages so no bad corrections.
    DaveP likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have never seen someone with this type of attitude ... I am not the first person he has done it to, so I wasn't hit with a surprise.

I don't mind losing him as a friend as some of you have stated and I've relized ... he's all nice when he's in need but when he's "done" he kinda brushes off the person.

I treat all my friends with the same respect as how a person would like to be treated.

I just brought this up to get him off my mind and get along with my life and make new friends
    Last edited by FallenPixels; Wed, Jul 2nd, 2014 at 10:49 AM. Reason: removed quote from deleted post
    GoJays, DaveP, walkonby and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I guess he's just a proctological nuisance with everyone, so no reflection on you joking with him. Might have a screw loose, best to keep it a business and not a friendly relationship. At the very least, he has a short fuse! You're good people, Win, and I'm sure there are better friends in your future....hugs!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by win-star View Post
    I don't mind losing him as a friend as some of you have stated and I've relized ... he's all nice when he's in need but when he's "done" he kinda brushes off the person.
    Then he wasn't a friend to begin with. Time to write it off.
    Lynn49, GoJays, DaveP and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Let the friend be; perhaps some basic thaw will come back in your friendship. Maybe a colleague at work will divulge if friend is explaining why he felt offended.

But given recent hot weather, your friend may have worried at possible loss of ride in the heat or someone has stood him up in past on a ride, thus his reaction. I reacted this way recently-someone promised a ride on a couple of occasions. The second time it fell through, I let person know I was not happy and why.

We are each different in our ability to respond to what seems as a simple matter. But that adage about the same situation is seen differently by each person observing the situation applies here. The friend did not like the joke; maybe he'll share why when the event is more distant.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Even If I am at work, I try to make friends there also!!

No matter where I am, I try to broaden/widen my friendship [if this makes sense When at work, i mix friends and work [depending on the situation] i know that's not a good idea but so far it's working with the "better" friends I made at work [except for this one out of the ordinary]
    Lynn49 and torontogal12 like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Such a weird response.

If it was me, I'd be tempted to say I found his response to the joke offensive - and that if he feels that the friendship is over because he didn't find the joke funny, then maybe the friendship wasn't worth much to start with.

I can understand having a bad day, and then someone's joke just bugs you even more - but if after a day or two you can't recognize that you overreacted and apologize, then I think that person is actually rather selfish and self absorbed. There really are some people who wait for someone to say/do something they don't like, and then use that to somehow build themselves up. The guy just sounds annoying now.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

There was nothing offensive about what you said. You didn't say anything bad about him, or vulgar.

What you said was sarcasm and he doesn't understand the difference.

Maybe next time you shouldn't be joking and he'll learn a valuable lesson to lighten up

Or you should say something about how he should respect and tip the chauffeur?

That'll hopefully quash stupid comments like that. Don't worry about it, you were definitely not in the wrong here
    Last edited by torontogal12; Wed, Jul 2nd, 2014 at 08:14 AM.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information