Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Samantha MacGregor
  • 1 Post By blueeyetea
  • 1 Post By anastasia1009
  • 1 Post By dashingjames

Thread: Moving from Ontario to Sasketchwan

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

I am been going through this site and another site trying to get advice. Hubby got a job teaching a U of Regina plus doing his Post Doctoral Degree and starts mid September. We are selling and buying in Regina but we are hoping we can find a place, see pictures and just move there.

Trying to find a moving company maybe Uhaul pods or another one. Plus moving with 4 cats.

I am in such a panic mode

thanks for reading my crazy posting
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Whatever you do don't use Trillium moving services. They are horrible. A lot of very valuable china was all smashed, along with wallunits and other items. Best of luck with the move!
    anastasia1009 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Is the university offering any kind of help with your move - like finding someone to help you house-hunt?

If you're taking your cats with you on the long drive there, you might want to ask your vet about tranquilizers. You might also look at leaving them with a friend for a week or two, then have your friend put them on a plane to Regina. Better to be stressed for a few hours than days. I did that for a friend that moved to California.
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

If DH's job does not come with some moving money or money for you to leave your job and move along with him, can you arrange to have a friend or family member move in with you? You'd keep the house, the job and the cats/vet care. DH can visit you or you him. In your field, you probably have to take exams to work in SK? There needs to be a compensation discussion if you are going to pack up and go to SK too.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

we haven't seen the contract yet for him they are working on it now. I am hoping $5000 moving bonus
    Ciel likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Definitely can claim moving expense on your income tax.

(Kinda missed Regina, my old high school was Balfour Collegiate)

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Whatever you do, don't go with UHaul. Their trucks are TERRIBLE! We moved from Alberta to Toronto and the truck's A/C stopped working (we moved in the summer), there was a hole in the ceiling and when it rained it ruined half our stuff. (including our engagement photos). We ended up suing UHaul and won.. in fact if you google them you'll find a lot of lawsuits that they've been involved in.
    I hope this helps.. not sure what advice to offer in terms of who to go with.. but of who NOT to go with.
    Good luck with the move!!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Gee, very different experience with U-Haul here - we've used them three times and had great experiences each time - way back in 1991, then 1995, then just last fall.
    Last edited by Natalka; Sat, Jul 26th, 2014 at 10:30 PM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I bet you should google some moving company for you to choose. Try to pick the best one that will suit you and don't forget to get quotes from them (it really helps a lot). Good luck on your move and may the odds be ever in your favor (Geez I like watching movies).
    Last edited by dashingjames; Thu, Jul 31st, 2014 at 09:20 AM.
    Natalka likes this.
    <style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>My way to storage and removals melbourne that will surely help me with my problems

Thread Information