Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Looks like a squash to me

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    Looks like a squash to me
    I'm so obsessive , I've been googling since I posted.... there's a chance it might ACTUALLY be a squash a.k.a. "Shark's fin melon".... which doesn't hydridize with other squashes so I'm guessing that could explain the fruit aborting.... Aaaah, I'm so impatient to KNOW....and maybe I'm just seeing things but if it IS shark's fin... that would be sooooo exciting I've never heard of it or tried it before....
    Patty Smyth and Angela273 like this.

Friends don't let friends trade at max value

MY WISHLIST
    RRLF 2014 -> RENEE'S !!! Lactantia butter, Marc Angelo, Casa di Mama

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

These are supposed to be cantaloupe Anyone know the name of these ?

Angela273 and BC Gal like this.

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

Looooooooks like squash to me

MY WISHLIST

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

No really, the bottom one just looks like a variety of zucchini to me.... one of my curved yellow summer squash had some bumps (not as big as yours) and this is what I found when i googled about it:

" Reasons for Bumpy Squash

Rapid growth, boring insects and excess calcium in soil may contribute to lumpy squash plants. However, the majority of these fruit deformities are the result of a mosaic virus. There are many types of mosaic strains that occur in different fruit families. The cucumber mosaic virus is the variety that most commonly attacks the cucurbit family. There is also the watermelon mosaic, papaya ring spot and zucchini yellow mosaic.
    Cucumber mosaic affects summer squash and produces raised, yellow bumpy squash and warty regions on the fruit’s skin. Watermelon mosaic affects both winter and summer squash. Summer squash get green overgrowths on the exterior, while winter squash grow knobby protrusions."

I actually thought that's how they were designed , ha ! guess I was wrong

ETA: You know, the top one MIGHT still be cantaloupe.... there's a bunch of varieties of cantaloupe
    Last edited by Tbites; Sat, Aug 9th, 2014 at 08:32 PM.

MY WISHLIST

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Whatever that melon is, Tbites, it's pretty Have you and Patty been shopping at the same garden centres?
    Last edited by GoJays; Sat, Aug 9th, 2014 at 09:00 PM.
    Tbites likes this.

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    Whatever that melon is, Tbites, it's pretty Have you and Patty been shopping at the same garden centres?
    LOL thanks.... the seed was actually given to me by an SCer but she doesn't know either
    Angela273 likes this.

MY WISHLIST

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

That warty squash (melon?) looks neat!!
    Angela273 likes this.
    Unique items and great deals to be found on the Halifax Cat Rescue Society auction page.
    Love snail mail? Try
    Postcrossing!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Lemon yellow dahlias

Name:  yellow dahlias.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  64.3 KB

A leek going to seed. Pretty!

Name:  leeks to seed.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  83.5 KB

A few cabbages and Orca bush beans.

Name:  cabb.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  149.9 KB

My first ripe tomato! *L* Our season is so short, I always worry that my first will also be my last! This is a Moskvich tomato, an early variety.

Name:  Moskvich - Aug 9.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  88.2 KB

Yellow Taxi tomatoes. Can't wait for these to ripen.

Name:  Yellow Taxi toms.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  130.5 KB
    Unique items and great deals to be found on the Halifax Cat Rescue Society auction page.
    Love snail mail? Try
    Postcrossing!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I have a question for everyone. This year LO was given a pumpkin plant, so I planted it in my squash patch. Most of my squash aren't doing good this year, including my zucchini. Most of the garden isn't doing good this year except my tomato plants. Anyway, there was a small pumpkin on the plant but it turned yellow and fell off shortly after the flower went away. Can anyone tell me why and what I should do to stop the others from doing the same?
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    I have a question for everyone. This year LO was given a pumpkin plant, so I planted it in my squash patch. Most of my squash aren't doing good this year, including my zucchini. Most of the garden isn't doing good this year except my tomato plants. Anyway, there was a small pumpkin on the plant but it turned yellow and fell off shortly after the flower went away. Can anyone tell me why and what I should do to stop the others from doing the same?

Usually, fruits abort either because there's a lack of pollination (not enough bees but you can compensate for that by hand pollinating) OR stress ; lack of water, too much water, weather too hot, weather too cold.

Also... when young transplants are set out too early in the season and the temps are cool, it can sometimes stunt their growth. This is what happened with my eggplants this year...we had some unusually cold nights at the beginning of the season and they're much smaller and producing FAR less than they should.

Squash are heavy feeders so perhaps your soil quality is to be considered ? Have you given them enough compost ? (A lack of nutrients would usually first have some tell tale signs in the leaves though ) What was your garden like in the past ?

Tomatoes are a little tougher I've found they seem to be able to hang on longer without as much water or in cooler temps.... or maybe you just have them in a better section of your yard sun or soil wise ?

Sorry if you wanted one short and concise answer and you're getting more questions lol, but I've found there's just sooooo many factors that come into play and that's not even mentioning diseases and pests
    Last edited by Tbites; Mon, Aug 11th, 2014 at 05:34 AM.
    Angela273 likes this.

MY WISHLIST

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

ok, so i don't have as elaborate a garden as some, but it's my first year in this house....so ive spent most of my time weeding and such to get the backyard looking better. But I do have a few flowers.

My first flower on my Clematis....i planted it a bit late so I am happy it had a chance to flower:
    Name:  001.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  85.3 KB

Some wave Petunias:
    Name:  008.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  79.6 KB

Name:  012.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  74.9 KB

Coleus
    Name:  010.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  97.7 KB

Rose of Sharon:
    Name:  028.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  54.6 KB

My Bumble Bee:

Name:  026.JPG
Views: 147
Size:  105.6 KB

And Tucker sticking his nose in where it doesn't belong!

Name:  032.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  95.6 KB

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I'll try to answer all of the questions.

My pumpkin is located in my squash patch. It got peat moss at the beginning of the growing season, not much else. I usually get about as many zucchini as I can eat, but this year some of the seeds didn't even become sprouts that broke the surface. We keep going between cool weeks and scorchers. I try to water them accordingly. The squash patch has nice fluffy, well draining soil. Unfortunately I do not know any farmers in the area that I can get good aged manure from. Although I think I'll post on a local Facebook garage sale page and ask if someone could be suggested.

The tomatoes are in the oldest garden patch in the yard. It got two bales of peat moss this year from CT, which unfortunately were badly infected with grass. I am pulling 4 grass plants for every 1 weed plant. I have never had this issue before, but no packaging left to properly complain about it. All parts of the garden was rototilled before planting this year. Nearly everything was planted May long weekend, but I usually plant later in the year because I am not on the ball. The tomato plants are the only things that I plant pre-started, usually from the farmer's market. This year I am growing a variety of yellow tomatoes because they are supposed to be lower in acid content. Everything else I plant from seed.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Peat moss may have pesticides in it among other things. Depends where it's from , what the runoff is in to the peat. WHo knows.
    Angela273 likes this.

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    I'll try to answer all of the questions.

My pumpkin is located in my squash patch. It got peat moss at the beginning of the growing season, not much else. I usually get about as many zucchini as I can eat, but this year some of the seeds didn't even become sprouts that broke the surface. We keep going between cool weeks and scorchers. I try to water them accordingly. The squash patch has nice fluffy, well draining soil. Unfortunately I do not know any farmers in the area that I can get good aged manure from. Although I think I'll post on a local Facebook garage sale page and ask if someone could be suggested.

The tomatoes are in the oldest garden patch in the yard. It got two bales of peat moss this year from CT, which unfortunately were badly infected with grass. I am pulling 4 grass plants for every 1 weed plant. I have never had this issue before, but no packaging left to properly complain about it. All parts of the garden was rototilled before planting this year. Nearly everything was planted May long weekend, but I usually plant later in the year because I am not on the ball. The tomato plants are the only things that I plant pre-started, usually from the farmer's market. This year I am growing a variety of yellow tomatoes because they are supposed to be lower in acid content. Everything else I plant from seed.
    - Peat moss is good to aerate your soil, break down clay and help retain moisture... but it doesn't contain any nutrients. If your squash is lacking in nutrients it would explain poor growth... but that would show up in the leaves. If you have any pics of the leaves ?

- I'm not really "close" to farmers either.. but I get some of my compost from CT - there's sheep & cow available there for 2.79$ a bag reg. price. HD and other greenhouses will also carry shrimp compost, rabbit manure and earthworm castings but those get a lil' pricier. Fish & seaweed fertilizer are awesome for plants but they're about 10$ a bottle. Epsom salts for magnesium , egg shells for calcium and coffee grounds early in the season for leaf production(nitrogen). Basically, I'm listing all this stuff because it sounds like your plants might be asking for nutrients... again the leaves should show this. I would try adding some nutrients next time you water them.

On a side note, I personally don't add extra peat moss because most cheaper compost sold in bags already has peat moss as a filler.

- Seeds not germinating...I don't know how old they are but they have a shelf life and once they're too old.. that can happen. I got frustrated with this myself so now I germinate my seeds with the ziploc method , waaaaay less disappointment.

- I'm really guessing here but MAYBE your tomatoes doing well in the oldest patch could be b/c it has received more soil amendments over the years ?

ETA: Sorry, I suck at being brief
    Last edited by Tbites; Tue, Aug 12th, 2014 at 10:37 AM.
    Angela273 likes this.

MY WISHLIST

Page 102 of 149 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 100 101 102 103 104 112 ... LastLast

Thread Information