User Tag List

Page 37 of 67 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 ... LastLast
Like Tree2781Likes

Thread: Canning Pics, Feel free to post yours!

Trading Score
    129 (100%)

I haven't canned/jammed a lot for the past few years, but had a great garden this year and started again. We also have blackberries grow wild everywhere around here so I've been out picking! So far I have pickled green beans and beets, as well as blackberry jam and a few pies (already devoured by the family!)
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by sctich; Mon, Aug 11th, 2014 at 04:15 PM.
    Kitty77, harbie, Lynn49 and 5 others like this.
    Remember, a kick in the bum is still a step forward

I've started a blog to stop talking to myself Join me on my journey....http://stretchingmypennies.blogspot.ca/

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysaver View Post
    Cherries .99lb < That will probably be the best price we see this year. A 500 ml of a good brand of cherry pie filling costs about $3. This costs less and will give you some bragging rights. (remember you need 2 500ml jars for a pie.)
    Attachment 251694
    How to can cherry pie filling.
    I just canned 8 pints of this recipe and followed her directions. I love the taste, not too sweet. She does a wonderful job in this video describing how to use clear gel.

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/ladydarcie
    I made $695 on Swagbucks last year
    and $206 on Clix and I only joined this past April http://www.clixsense.com/?6397531 (if you like to do tasks, then Clix is a great site as they pay you a $5.00 bonus for every $50.00 worth of tasks you complete.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I have a ton of green beans in the garden ready for picking. Your canned beans look wonderful. Can you share your recipe Sctich?
    harbie, cheekysaver and Karlina like this.

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/ladydarcie
    I made $695 on Swagbucks last year
    and $206 on Clix and I only joined this past April http://www.clixsense.com/?6397531 (if you like to do tasks, then Clix is a great site as they pay you a $5.00 bonus for every $50.00 worth of tasks you complete.

Trading Score
    41 (100%)

Hi Everyone, have been super busy canning in the kitchen, made dill pickles, beet pickles, beet and horseradish sauce, and blueberry jam.
    Ran out of jars, so off to Walmart the 250ml and 500ml (pint) jars are on roll back for $5.47 case of 12.
    Great Value Vinegar $2.47
    Garlic 3 Bulbs for .48 cents
    Certo and Bernardin lids were not on sale, regular prices was $2.47,The Bernardin 1 Litre jars were $13.99, but would have to check the Walmart website for sure.

Co-Op West has lots of canning supplies on sale;
    Club Pickling spice 110g $2.99
    Sifto Coarse Pickling Salt 4 for $5
    Lantic Jam & Jelly Mix 900g $2.99
    Certo Crystals 3 for $4.98
    Co-op Vinegar $2.99
    Liquid Certo 2 for $6
    Bernardin Standard Lids and wide Mouth Lids 3 for $4.98
    Bernardin 1 Litre jars $12.99
    Plastic Freezer jars and Lids 3 pack 2 for $7
    Not sure if these a great prices but are available here.

This week will make Strawberry, Apricot jam, more pickled beets, bread and butter pickles and mustard relish.
    Harbie, Ladydarcie and Scitch you have been super busy canning, awesome!
    Thanks Cheekysaver for posting the video about making your own canning rack, using the smaller jars, don't need such a big pot.
    Happy Canning!!
    harbie, cheekysaver, ticul and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    129 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ladydarcie View Post
    I have a ton of green beans in the garden ready for picking. Your canned beans look wonderful. Can you share your recipe Sctich?
    It's a new recipe I tried when I ended up with so many beans in my garden this year! The recipe is called "Crisp Pickled Green Beans" and I found it on the Allrecipes.com site. It has great reviews and I loved the fact that the beans are supposed to stay nice and crisp. I didn't put any pepper flakes in my jars (I'm such a wimp when it comes to spicy) but many people add some "kick" for a nice addition to your caesars! Start to finish I was done in 20 minutes.....my kind of canning!
    Remember, a kick in the bum is still a step forward

I've started a blog to stop talking to myself Join me on my journey....http://stretchingmypennies.blogspot.ca/

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Wow there is yummy stuff getting put up! Nice job Sctich! I love the pics!
    harbie, ticul, sctich and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Right now I am about to head to my parents. Mom and I are going to make instant potato soup in a jar. I am not sure how it will work out so we are are making a test batch between us. We get to reduce the chemicals in the soup and have it be instant as can be. I will let you know later.
    harbie, ticul and Karlina like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I haven't been able to do any canning yet with this stupid broken-repaired leg! No bread and butter pickles, no yellow mustard beans, no antipasto for crackers and cheese, and no red pepper jelly!
    I hope I can walk be September and get the stuff and get to it!

You've all done a lovely job with your preserves....good for you! And your families!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Sweet Lynn you certainly did a fantastic job of messing up your leg! I hope it heals up fast. My hip is right now dislocating a couple times a day. I do almost all of my work sitting on my tookus. I also use the motorized carts at walmart to get my shopping trips done. I hear you.

Here are some modifications I have done so I can can!
    I heat my jars in the oven to sterilize them on a cookie sheet at 220 for 20 mins. I can do more at once this way.
    I cut up everything at the table with a nice cup of tea, because it isn't a race.
    I pick things that don't require massive amounts of time at the stove, if what I am canning requires more standing time I see if my Mom is interested in canning it too... then we take shifts according to who is up to what.
    I use Mom's kitchenaid adjustable food processor every chance I get to reduce my workload. The blade is adjustable and it is a workhorse!

I don't know if that will help, but I hope it does.
    harbie, Lynn49, ticul and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysaver View Post
    Sweet Lynn you certainly did a fantastic job of messing up your leg! I hope it heals up fast. My hip is right now dislocating a couple times a day. I do almost all of my work sitting on my tookus. I also use the motorized carts at walmart to get my shopping trips done. I hear you.

Here are some modifications I have done so I can can!
    I heat my jars in the oven to sterilize them on a cookie sheet at 220 for 20 mins. I can do more at once this way.
    I cut up everything at the table with a nice cup of tea, because it isn't a race.
    I pick things that don't require massive amounts of time at the stove, if what I am canning requires more standing time I see if my Mom is interested in canning it too... then we take shifts according to who is up to what.
    I use Mom's kitchenaid adjustable food processor every chance I get to reduce my workload. The blade is adjustable and it is a workhorse!

I don't know if that will help, but I hope it does.
    Oh, dear heart, so sorry to hear about your hip! That must be incredibly painful for you! And like you, I've become familiar with that scooter in Walmart! Love that it has a basket! What a blessing it is...although they should have a couple more...

I've read about sterilizing jars in the oven, but always had visions of them going BANG! in there and
    bursting! Just silliness, I know... You know....when my Mom started having back problems she always had a high stool tucked under the kitchen counter (where our wall phone was...hahah) that she's sit on while doing a lot of,prep,work. The other week, my hubby raided our kids' pool room and brought home one of their gas power bar stools, but unfortunately I wasn't able to hoist myself onto it because I couldn't put my foot down on the ground. Now, however, I could do that!!
    THANK YOU, Cheekysaver....I tend to feel rushed when doing some preserving...slowing down? Why not!!

I wish you less pain and more preserving, Hon!!
    harbie, cheekysaver and ticul like this.

putting the kettle on.. sweetproserpina's Avatar
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Great work everyone! Those pies look delish

Cheekysaver- so glad you mentioned sterilizing your jars in the oven. I do that too! I put them in when the oven is cold and then turn the oven on so they slowly come up to temp. And for everyone trying this- be careful taking them out of the oven! I put mine on a cookie sheet so I can hold that steady and carefully grab a jar at a time, which I transfer to another cookie sheet (lined with a silpat) on the counter, where I fill my jars assembly line style.

I haven't done any canning this season so far- with both kiddos at home full time (4 and 1yo) it's been impossible. I got some strawberries frozen and dehydrated, and last week I cleaned out the deep freeze and am trying to use up the last bits of last years fruit and veg. I also have done an inventory of the cold cellar, and counted jars. I still have loads of pickles,peaches, and grape juice from last year- but will need more pears and salsa.

We are on our very last jar of jam (eek!). Sobey's has a good deal on blueberries (3.77 for 2lbs, i think) so I'm going to do blueberry jam this weekend. Yum!

ps.
    Has anyone ever come across a Fruit Punch recipe?
    I would love to can my own, because the store-bought stuff has so much added sugar..
    Last edited by sweetproserpina; Tue, Aug 12th, 2014 at 10:20 PM.
    I love free books! Earn points at Swagbucks and get great Amazon GCs or Paypal $$.
    RLF: Goldfish!!, Butter, Astro Yogurt, Triscuit Thincrisps...

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Okay experienced canners: today I canned 6 jars of jardinaire(sp?) and 6 jars of harbies spicy green beans. Whew that was more work then I thought.
    I have a couple of questions:
    1). I have a ton of cauliflower left and love the cauliflower that comes in the jars do pickles. I am wondering if I can make the jardinaire and instead of using all the mixed veggies (carrots, peppers, celery etc) can I just use the cauliflower and the onions? If I use the same quantity of veggies? I know you are supposed to play around with the recipes.

2) when I made the beans impackedmthem as tight as I could but when I added the liquid the bloody beans, and chili peppers started to float so I stuffed some more beans down which seemed to help but after futilely trying to push the beans down, I gave up and stuck the lids on them and processed. Is this a problem? Is there a trick to stop the floating situation?

thanks for your help and any advice.

also I decided to sterilize the jars in the oven, so I gave them a good wash and put the first 6 in the oven in a tray and they were in there for about 1/2 hour when my oven shut off because the canning pot gets so hot boiling the water it shuts down the computer on my oven shutting it off...burners still work. So I had to take a break between batches waiting to be able to turn on the oven. I hope that is enough time to sterilize jars..they were very hot. This was a pretty expensive kitchenaid stove but definitely wouldn't buy again because,of this issue, because the oven is a bit small and because you can't use the self clean feature as it breaks the oven and costs about $400 to,fix every time you self clean it. Ridiculous. Sorry off topic. Thanks for listening.
    Lynn49, cheekysaver and ticul like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

every summer i do that, really fun and economic !
    ticul likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

scouponer that recipe should be fine for the cauliflower. It can be pickled. Here is a reference link. They say when you are pickling cauliflower to was it and cut it into small pieces to prepare it. From there any good pickling brine can work... sweet, spicy, tangy, whatever tickles your fancy! Please double check your processing time and remember to do altitude adjustments as needed.
    http://www.bernardin.ca/pages/recipe...51.php?pid=226
    harbie, Lynn49, ticul and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

We did make the instant potato soup mix. We had lots of instant potatoes sitting around not doing anything and we had powdered milk to use up so it was a easy thing to make up. Well did it EVER take tweeking to get it where we wanted it. We now have a recipe for loaded baked potato soup. It is of course not as good as fresh soup but it is good. I will make a vid on it later. (it has cheese and bacon in it too)

LOL I do on occasion make youtube vids but my camera is resting in a couple pieces right now. I can fix it and I will get a new camera in time. The vids I have been posting lately are not mine. They are from experienced canners on youtube.
    harbie, Lynn49, walkonby and 2 others like this.

Page 37 of 67 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 ... LastLast

Thread Information