Page 21 of 43 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast
Like Tree3498Likes

Thread: Tightwad August Frugal Chatter 2014

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  74.6 KB I just made taco salad quick for late lunch. Salvaged the romaine lettuce that was in fridge longer then should have. My youngest loves this but not the oldest. But both love tacos and salad lol
    Last edited by Frugalbigmama; Sun, Aug 17th, 2014 at 03:37 PM.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

J&C, just stay away from the prepackaged stuff - not just because of price, but also nutrition.

Instead of buying chicken breasts, buy whole chickens and use the pieces; or buy chicken thighs when on sale, they are the most flavourful and versatile.
    Plus, you can do way more with all that meat than just the breasts. I'm a white meat fan, too, but I've learned to eat some dark - all depends upon how you cook it.

It's been ages and ages since I've bought ground beef, it's just been too pricey.
    Will be buying 10 lbs of ground pork from the butcher this week, though - we need to have some variety.
    Last edited by Natalka; Sun, Aug 17th, 2014 at 04:01 PM.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

just got back from Niagara on the lake-bought myself peach jam -yummmm
    -hubbies bother and his wife treated us to breakfast at a 50's diner
    - I got a evelyn and crabtree small lemon hand lotion was 15.00-10.00 pd 5.00 paper coupon I have had for 3 year -no crabtree near us

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Inquiring Minds Want to Know!!!

Some of us have separate banking accounts for certain savings, payments, utilities, vehicle upkeep +++++etc

Would you consider and take all the monies from those accounts/savings and pay down a debt be it credit card, loc, school loan, whatever the case may be and start over and rebuild your savings account, bill payment nests, etc in and over time???? Would you do this To have this debt vanish or be a small fraction of what you currently owe?

If you don't mind share your reasoning for or against....

Thanks for all your input

In the past four years I have become a firm beleiver in the idea that my I need to have funds going towards my debt, my Emergency fund and my TFSA. I would not remove funds from the last two to pay off debt. I have a utilities savings account as well which if It came down to needing an extra chunk of payment I would not have a problem taking $$ from that account.

I feel that If i deplete the TFSA or the Emergency fund something will come up to put me right back into debt debt again. Like our tub for example. I could have taken all the $$ in my EF to put on my CC this july and made it 100% paid off but...i chose to leave the cc alone and pay it off a bit at a time. Our tub tipped and we had to come up with $$500 to get a new surround pay buddy to help and other supplies to get it back in working order 2 days before my family arrived. We were able to do it without adding $$ to my credit card and rack up more debt. The EF has to be replenished however it was there when we needed it VERY suddenly.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

J & C, have you tried cabbage roll casserole. It is really easy and tasty to make, with no exotic ingredients and cabbage is in season

1 lb ground beef (although I'm sure you could substitute any kind of groud meat)
    1 onion, chopped
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1 can spaghetti sauce or 2 3/4 cup homemade sauce
    1 can or 2 3/4 cup water
    1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
    4 cups shredded cabbage

1. Brown ground meat with chopped onion
    2. Add garlic, salt, pepper, spaghetti sauce and water
    3. Bring to a boil and stir in rice
    4. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes
    5. Place 1/2 of cabbage in a greased 9 X 13 baking dish
    6. Cover with 1/2 meat and rice mixture
    7. Repeat layers
    8. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour

Serves 6

NOTE: If I want to give this dish a little more zip, I sprinkle it with parmesan cheese when I bake. Serve with salad and chunky bread and it is great

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Hi All,

Trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals are so hard because my dh & kids are super picky.

My kids don't eat veggies with the only exception being corn, they won't even eat mashed potatoes.

They are not roast eaters or casseroles either so it makes it super hard. So nothing like sheppards pie, etc are no gos.

I do appreciate all the suggestions but
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

My family was here today (brother's family). We had a lot of fun. I made up a scavenger hunt around our back field and pond. DH wasn't feeling great so this kept everyone busy while he rested. I offered a $50 gift certificate from a "strange" store in our community as well as a Tim's card with???? Left on it and an overnight stay at our house as prizes. The gift certificate I had received as part of a gift basket that I won at Xmas. Everyone was motivated to join the hunt,- even my "stuck-to-his- I-phone" nephew. They had to prove what they found by taking pictures.

They got to get to know our new neighbourhood, spend time outside and have a good reason to come back soon. Everyone shared the prizes. The dogs had a blast chasing them around.
    The take a picture of the prettiest thing you see resulted in 2 pictures of their mum. The little guy said to his mum, "It fills me with joy and love every time I see you." - What a sweetheart!

Great day all around.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I currently have a double batch of zucchini banana chocolate chip muffins baking. LO loves carbs, so my muffins are a great way to get him to eat more veggies and fruit. He will be 2yrs old next month. I'm personally not a muffin fan, but I now bake a variety of healthy options and freeze them. This way I rotate the flavours and he is less likely to get bored with them.

I bought the bananas on clearance at NF yesterday. I just need to submit the receipt to my Changio app. The zucchinis I got from my neighbour.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

If it is any consolation food seems for the most part pricier here-I seem to go through as many
    euros here(worth$1.50each) as dollars at home. Bananas are $3 per kg here(about twice the price of home while gouda cheese is $10 per kg which I think is a bit cheaper than at home.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-just got enough points from surveys(took awhile of doing them)-for a 25.00 walmart giftcard -yippee groceries will be a little cheaper when I get it
    Last edited by coupon girl; Mon, Aug 18th, 2014 at 07:39 AM.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Hi All,

Trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals are so hard because my dh & kids are super picky.

My kids don't eat veggies with the only exception being corn, they won't even eat mashed potatoes.

They are not roast eaters or casseroles either so it makes it super hard. So nothing like sheppards pie, etc are no gos.

I do appreciate all the suggestions but
    Hi J & C,

Would you be able to list some of your family's favourite meals? Maybe some of us here could give you some ideas on how to make them cheaper.

If your family doesn't like potatoes do they like rice as a side? My kids and all my daycare kids love rice and its cheap and easier to make then mashed potatoes. I buy the 8kg bags of parboiled rice (whatever kind is cheapest). They like plain rice but its easy to make your own flavoured rice. I make spanish rice for me and dh - just add canned tomatoes (including the juice) and chili powder. Just add less water because of the juice from the tomatoes. I like to serve this with chicken and can be topped with a bit of cheese, sour cream, olives etc...

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Here we go (lol) here are the things my guys will eat,

hamburgers (ground beef only)
    meatballs but they can't be moist (they have texture issues) so nothing with milk or oatmeal, breadcrumbs
    roast chicken
    chicken breast
    sweet n' sour chicken
    pork chops
    pulled pork
    pea meal bacon (1 guy won't eat these)
    homemade pogos (1 guy won't eat these)
    pizza
    sausages but only spicy Italian
    steak but only rib steak

and seriously that's about it with the exception of chicken fingers, chicken wings (ya right)

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

lizzie wow the prices are steap, have a blast and enjoy yourself

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Good Morning All,

Well it has been a eventful few days here.My 16 year old son...you know the one that broke his growth plate in his ankle in June and just finished physio 3 weeks ago, had the same ankle run over by a 15,000 pound fork lift at work on Thursday morning.He was hopping up on the side and the driver mistakenly put it into gear and he slipped and it ran over his foot , he has 3 broken toes and both sides of his ankles are crushed. The accident happened out of town so he was taken to the small local hospital and stabilized and then sent home (what the heck) to wait for a surgeon consult the next morning. It took me an hour to get the poor kid out the door the next morning even with crutches and the pain was excruciating. It was confirmed he would need surgery, screws, plates and pins in various parts of the ankle.He was admitted Friday morning to the hospital and we were told the surgery would take place that day, well it is now Monday morning and his surgery has been bumped every day due to lack of OR space.So the routine is this everyday, he fasts to prepare for surgery and at 10 pm every night the nurses get a call from the OR that he is cancelled, I then run home and make him a plate of food because he has been fasting, run it back to the hospital, he eats and then we do it again the next day. Please cross your fingers today is the day!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

There is a big achievement in our household this morning. I caught LO in the middle of going poo, so he went poo on the potty!! This is the first time that he has gone pee or poo on a potty for us! So as much as it was mommy initiated, I am very happy with this accomplishment. We first started putting him on the potty in early July. Last week I bought him special stickers for a chart on the fridge. There are lots of stickers in the "sat on my potty" category, but this is the first "poo" sticker! Parents will understand how big of a deal this is.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Page 21 of 43 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast

Thread Information