Page 22 of 43 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast
Like Tree3498Likes

Thread: Tightwad August Frugal Chatter 2014

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    Good Morning All,

Well it has been a eventful few days here.My 16 year old son...you know the one that broke his growth plate in his ankle in June and just finished physio 3 weeks ago, had the same ankle run over by a 15,000 pound fork lift at work on Thursday morning.He was hopping up on the side and the driver mistakenly put it into gear and he slipped and it ran over his foot , he has 3 broken toes and both sides of his ankles are crushed. The accident happened out of town so he was taken to the small local hospital and stabilized and then sent home (what the heck) to wait for a surgeon consult the next morning. It took me an hour to get the poor kid out the door the next morning even with crutches and the pain was excruciating. It was confirmed he would need surgery, screws, plates and pins in various parts of the ankle.He was admitted Friday morning to the hospital and we were told the surgery would take place that day, well it is now Monday morning and his surgery has been bumped every day due to lack of OR space.So the routine is this everyday, he fasts to prepare for surgery and at 10 pm every night the nurses get a call from the OR that he is cancelled, I then run home and make him a plate of food because he has been fasting, run it back to the hospital, he eats and then we do it again the next day. Please cross your fingers today is the day!
    Oh that all just sounds horrible. I remember being in the hospital with issues regarding my leg and being unnecessarily forced to fast. It was not fun. Here's hoping the surgery is today and everything goes well. *fingers crossed*
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

WOW! Your poor son! Sending him hugs! that is crazy unlucky.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

LO just had a big pee on the potty!! Yay! This is a lot of progress!
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Good frugal start to my day. Brought coffee from home, milk to have cheerios at my desk, and my lunch was leftovers from Friday nights dinner. Have almonds and a yogurt and apple for my afternoon snack. Not $ wasted on quick food/coffee I am going to really plan to use up what we have at home and not waste my spending money on coffee/crap.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Oh and I made $27 selling stuff yesterday (WII games and a kids game book) Suppose to have another sale today while I'm at work so lets hope trusting people works out (left on my porch and they are to leave money under planter- So far this has worked ) I should post a bunch of stuff tonight and tomorrow for sure.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

So sorry about your son thrifty granny. Hope he gets into surgery today.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Oh TG that is awful-you should bring him to Calgary-also Canmore and Banff are great with bones-just think ski injuries. You should not have to put up with that in your health region. Hope he is well soon.

Adding to my price comparisons here- 500 grams Nutella was only 1 euro .79 cents which is only 2.89my daughter loves that stuff which costs more in Canada

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-ohh so sorry thriftygranny for your son -hope its today for you
    -angela -it is a big thing toiet training -my son was hard to train and everybit was an achievement

well my car went into the shop today -and that is why we have a rainy day account -its 9 years old and still want to use it -hubby is just down will cost a little more than expected
    -and that is the thing when do you stop putting money into a car when it starts to get older -we l don't want to run out and occur more debt getting another one right now-uggg cars
    Last edited by coupon girl; Mon, Aug 18th, 2014 at 01:16 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Went home on my lunch and watched Till Debt do we part lol. At least I didn't go out shopping and spending money. We really don't need anything this week. Going camping on the weekend so preparing for that. Fridge is getting empty but we will live. Off the rest of the week and will be on the go and wanted to treat the boys to dinner out etc so will all work out Have to grab a Rubbermaid bin from storage and put our camping perishables in it. We have been buying and hiding chips etc too for it. Will get that started tonight I think and the laundry away that was hung to dry yesterday. Other then that having an easy night.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Thanks for the well wishes everyone, just home from the hospital to try and get some laundry caught up. Was told surgery today is very unlikely as the surgeon is swamped.
    Lizzie i did ask if going to Calgary would be an option and was told the I would be taking chances of waiting longer.Not sure what I will do if this drags out any longer.My patience is running thin to say the least. He tried to transfer to his wheel chair this morning by himself and hit his ankle and is now in a morphine induced stupor.when he had the accident on Thursday I immediately traded my shifts at work to have some days at home with him while he recovers and can't get around, I now have to return to work tomorrow and the surgery won't even be done more than likely, guess i will have cross that bridge when we come to it.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Good Morning All,

Well it has been a eventful few days here.My 16 year old son...you know the one that broke his growth plate in his ankle in June and just finished physio 3 weeks ago, had the same ankle run over by a 15,000 pound fork lift at work on Thursday morning.He was hopping up on the side and the driver mistakenly put it into gear and he slipped and it ran over his foot , he has 3 broken toes and both sides of his ankles are crushed. The accident happened out of town so he was taken to the small local hospital and stabilized and then sent home (what the heck) to wait for a surgeon consult the next morning. It took me an hour to get the poor kid out the door the next morning even with crutches and the pain was excruciating. It was confirmed he would need surgery, screws, plates and pins in various parts of the ankle.He was admitted Friday morning to the hospital and we were told the surgery would take place that day, well it is now Monday morning and his surgery has been bumped every day due to lack of OR space.So the routine is this everyday, he fasts to prepare for surgery and at 10 pm every night the nurses get a call from the OR that he is cancelled, I then run home and make him a plate of food because he has been fasting, run it back to the hospital, he eats and then we do it again the next day. Please cross your fingers today is the day!
    OMG, thriftygranny! That's awful! Poor kid! My dh went through the same routine wrt fasting and waiting for surgery in February. He got "Turkey Sandwich" for supper 3 days in a row. Since I was out of town, I couldn't cook him anything. Your poor son has compromised his summer and now he'll start school on crutches! oh, dear! I hope he got the surgery he needed today!
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Oh, thriftygranny, your poor baby boy! There should be a patient advocate you can get ahold of to help you if he doesn't get his surgery right away!

I know it's the least of your worries now, but I'm hoping there are no problems with workers' comp. for him. Make sure the incident was reported -

http://work.alberta.ca/occupational-health-safety.html

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Going out for dinner with my best friend. Long overdue!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Oh, thriftygranny, your poor baby boy! There should be a patient advocate you can get ahold of to help you if he doesn't get his surgery right away!

I know it's the least of your worries now, but I'm hoping there are no problems with workers' comp. for him. Make sure the incident was reported -

http://work.alberta.ca/occupational-health-safety.html
    Just finished all the paper work, his employer has been amazing and are paying him for the rest of the summer, he was so worried they would be angry with him and the two owners both called him today to tell him they were worried about him and he was welcome back as soon as he can work next summer.He really did love his job so he is feeling so much better about that.Well back to the hospital until 7 and then dad will take over while I get a few things done and then back to the hospital at 10 to bring his supper in..you think they would save him a tray form meal time to heat up but no one has offered so i guess it is Mom's meals on Wheels again today!

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Just finished all the paper work, his employer has been amazing and are paying him for the rest of the summer, he was so worried they would be angry with him and the two owners both called him today to tell him they were worried about him and he was welcome back as soon as he can work next summer.He really did love his job so he is feeling so much better about that.Well back to the hospital until 7 and then dad will take over while I get a few things done and then back to the hospital at 10 to bring his supper in..you think they would save him a tray form meal time to heat up but no one has offered so i guess it is Mom's meals on Wheels again today!
    So sorry to hear of this accident - we feel for our kids when they are hurting....would he be getting some sort of worker's compensation? My son broke his forearm at work three weeks ago which had to be set before casting - still another three weeks in a cast but he is receiving full pay for the shifts he would have worked. This is a huge blessing to him as he is madly saving for post secondary. He can't wait to get back to work.

Page 22 of 43 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast

Thread Information