User Tag List

Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
Like Tree3498Likes

Thread: Tightwad August Frugal Chatter 2014

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

We seem to eat out a little too much also.

This afternoon we picked up 3 large buckets of apples. The last thing I need right now is to deal with them. Hoping hubby will make some applesauce with some of them.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-well we went to a peach festlval with my son andhis wife and ashlyn-my son bought a sub in line for me -I bought them a peachsundae-and lovely scarf (5.00)for my daughter-in-law and a necklace i will put away for xmas cost me 2.00-mind you I gave her the scarf now-baby was good-it was fun then I had a tear in my eye as they left my house(but I called my daughter-in-law's mother and told her have a nice time and her hubby too-and she told me they would be there for the baby too so I think I will sleep better tonight

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Fast food, take out, deli meals and coffee are so expensive, dh and I have spoke and no more whatsoever. We don't have the $ and after you are finished the product whether pizza, coffee etc the enjoyment has passed and reality has taken effect (lol) atleast that is how it is for us. So I spoke with dh & we are going to sit down over the next few days while the boys are gone with the in-laws (Mon-Wed) and both go through the banking and make a budget together. We will also have a weekly meeting to see how things are going, this way we are both involved and both aware of what the balance is and what we need to have for the next week.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Nancy you`re fortunate that your DH is willing to be involved in your finances. I pay all the bills and hubby doesn`t get involved unless there are extra expenses that sometimes need to come out of a different account. I sometimes wonder what would happen if I suddenly wasn`t around.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cath007 View Post
    Cannot have an insurance life at my caisse because I dont work and cannot have a credit cart....I have all the solvabilty required...that is just nut...I will have to search option for the first issue.
    Hi Cath! A friend of mine is on disability and found it hard to get a credit card. He actually got one from Canadian Tire and was able to use it as a Master Card. I don't know if that helps.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

We were actually discussing this the other day at work and having one person in a relationship taking care of everything and the other person not knowing how to handle day to day tasks. Whether it be paying the bills, knowing the household budget or even taking care of children. You never know what is going to happen and both need to be involved so that if something happens they can step up and take over.

I have seen it with my own family, I am not sure what would have happened if Nanny had passed before Hezy because they were the typical couple from there generation Hezy went to work and Nanny took care of the house which included paying all the bills, doing the cooking and taking care of everything. But on the flip side of that I guess you never know until it happens as that was also Oma and Opa and as Oma`s health deteriorated Opa stepped up and started taking care of everything he started to cook and clean and took over the household bills because Oma could no longer do it. Now at times I have no idea how he does it, he still works ridiculous hours at work and takes care of the house and Oma and manages the people who have been hired to help with Oma`s care as she can no longer be left alone.

But I will say if I ever meet someone I am more than happy to take care of certain things like paying the bills but he will need to know and stay within out budget and will need to know how to handle everything in case I cannot (it will be like job sharing at work 1 out of every 3 months he will need to do it to show me he can). As well if we have kids we will need to know how to handle them, getting them where they need to go as well as appointments as I will not be the only one taking time off work if needed as well if anything was to happen and I needed to be away he needs to be able to step in and take over. For me my thought is I have had it before where I have been asked to travel to a location to fill in which would mean me being in a hotel for a week and being in the job I am in, I do not see that changing so I need to know if this happens he can be there.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cath007 View Post
    Thank you for your comment .I know I dont have to paid the debts. But my brother had money had his place,plus a computer that was ''saisie'' by the cops...........So........for having that I have to discuss with the notaire it is for paying the other half part of the funeral cost 5000$..plus even on juridic aid it still cost money...It take time to resolve a I expect 2months,andI am just tired to see all the debt on papers.....PLus I wont get back what my brother owned me with the fraud I was victim on is part,and even dead the caisse do nothing about that by the delay expired.And my brother sign proof he own me a good amount but that is not sufficiant....and the cherry on the sunday,he did not have life assurance,at least the funeral would have been covered..so yes...I feel pretty mad and irratable by those money lost.
    Cath, being angry is one part of grieving. You do have a legitimate right to be upset, but as time goes by, this should get better as you get used to the idea that he is gone. I send you my sympathy for all you are going through.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Well, I'm finally caught up! And I used the lap-top, so I could "like" you! LOL! You all know I "like" you but it's nice to hear it every now and then, right?

My dh cooked some ribs tonight that were to die for! He cooks most of our meals.

My feet were KILLING me last night after I spent 3-4 hours racing around wearing my sandals (note to self - wear your "old-lady" shoes!) I could hardly get to sleep. I had to call my brother this morning and tell him I couldn't make it to church today (although I wanted to go as I haven't been all summer)

Angela, I tried to find one of those apple squisher sieves that you bought on our local Kijiji and e-bay. They are selling as ANTIQUES for almost $50!!! You got a great deal and you've been using it to advantage. There is a crab-apple tree on our communal property and I would just love to relieve it of it's fruit. By as I said to our friend Lynn49 - I don't want to spend $75 to make a couple of jars of jelly! LOL! She suggested just slowly simmering the apples and then straining through cheesecloth. Maybe! Maybe!

Like some of you have been saying, we eat out entirely too much - for lunches, usually. Our freezer is mini-sized and I find I can't take advantage of freezing many things, but I'm going to start giving it a try.

Well, my dog is dancing around, and figuratively crossing his legs so I guess it's time for a walk. Now that it's getting dark a little earlier, he thinks it's bed time.
    Last edited by avoncallingu; Sun, Aug 24th, 2014 at 09:31 PM.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

We love to eat out! Which can be a challenge and expensive with a child that has Celiac.

These are my tips:

1) Don't allow it to become a regular habit for not wanting to have to cook. Meal planning helps with this. When we don't meal plan, we are more likely to eat out than when we do.

2) Order water. No coffee, no pop. The free stuff.

3) Eat when there is a special and eat the special!

4) Share! The portions are always too big!

5) Plan for it in your budget.

We went to Boston Pizza today and had lunch for a family of four tip in for $38.

This is what we ordered: Slider meal for husband to share with non Celiac child, Glutenwise salad for me to share with Celiac child and 1 gluten free kid's meal (special $2 off) for the kids to split in addition to their sharing with us. We ate all the food and there was not a hungry tummy.

I am finding we spend $100-120 a week on groceries (paper, kitty litter...etc included) with a specialty diet. For $40 following the guidelines this is something we can do on occasion. Fast food costs us around $20 for all of us, but it is not as healthy!

Eating out is something we can cut back on to save $$$ too, but I have also learned that with some sacrifices (like drinking water) we can do it so I wanted to share.
    Last edited by Granger; Sun, Aug 24th, 2014 at 09:08 PM.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Attachment 253263 this is a pic of the chairs I found on side of road yesterday. Nice eh?
    Are you sure they meant to throw that out? It is so pretty. Huge score.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    I was feeling rather frugally defeated last night. This time of year is soo expensive. In the next three weeks we have back to school plus my parents anniversary and 5 b-days ( DH & both boys, my niece and my FiL).
    But then I realized I already have almost everything for back to school supplies. My nieces gift I bought throughout the year and the youngest son agreed that a 2015 seasons pass to Canada’s Wonderland was a good gift for him even if everyone uses it.I do have one small gift put aside so he has a real present to open. We have been helping my brother out a lot and so I added that all up. DH and I have agreed to a number we are ok with, but it means less money to going into savings. So now I am trying to figure out what other corners to cut. I depleted all my PC points last month but still have close to 100.00 in AMs so that my plan this months. My PC offers were meh anyway so I won’t be sad to not shop there this week. The one thing we have to tackle is our dining out. It is crazy how much we spend on dinners out or lunch. So last week I gave myself a budget of 20.00 for the week and I came in at less than 8.00 on lunch and coffee while at work. He is going to try and do the same.
    Wonderland seasons passes have your picture so that others cannot use them. They scan the barcode on back and your picture comes up on the computer screen. There is no picture on the actual card. Just in case you were thinking that multiple people could use the seasons pass.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

hubby and I eat out once a month-but I am meeting my girlfriend Monday night and I may have just water with the meal to save a bit

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

coupongirl...I love Coke (why???) so when I go out I just want to order it. I think ordering water is a huge! Enjoy your time out! I never want to sacrifice time with people for money. Eating is very social. We get invited to eat out a couple times a month so DH and I had a huge conversation about how can we say YES, without killing the budget...including offering other options. We had a family over here for dinner once instead to see the cost comparison and it cost $70...so eating out was actually cheaper (for us, not per family or per person). We like picnicking to save money too!
    Last edited by Granger; Mon, Aug 25th, 2014 at 08:04 AM.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    hubby and I eat out once a month-but I am meeting my girlfriend Monday night and I may have just water with the meal to save a bit
    No, it really just four the 4 of us, I meant to say we bought passes for the family. The boys are too young to drive so need us to go. The older is of an age that he has Been invited with friends so it saves money for him as well. So it was very nice of the younger to agree to this as his gift.
    Last edited by lilo0003; Mon, Aug 25th, 2014 at 08:14 AM.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

avon I don't own 1 of those sieves and simmer the apples and then strain through cheese cloth, rig up a clothes hanger to suspend and voila, don't squeeze the bag as your jelly will get cloudy (just a tip), give it a try it's so yummy.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast

Thread Information