User Tag List

Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: disability tax credit questions

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Question: If we were approved back to 2007, Will the CDB be reassessed from January 2007 or July 2008?

I only ask because the January 2007 - June 2007 payments are based on my 2005 return (assessed in 2006 and paid out July 2006 - June 2007)

The CDB based on the 2007 tax year would have started to be paid out on July 2008.

Thanks to anyone who can clarify!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedasher View Post
    Hi JasperandChar.......when approved I understand they will only pay you back for three years. CRA said I could request 2010 to be paid back. What do I state in my letter? Thanks
    I believe they can go back 10 years, they will go back as far to a max I believe of 10 years but it depends on the year indicated on the form by the doctor.

Just make a letter stating that your son/daughter was approved, please find attached a copy of the letter of determination, please amend my taxes for the following years.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by platapus381 View Post
    Question: If we were approved back to 2007, Will the CDB be reassessed from January 2007 or July 2008?

I only ask because the January 2007 - June 2007 payments are based on my 2005 return (assessed in 2006 and paid out July 2006 - June 2007)

The CDB based on the 2007 tax year would have started to be paid out on July 2008.

I believe how it works is any periods during 2007 would actually be considered tax year 2008 onwards for their assessment however I may be wrong for example if Approved this July 2014 and diagnosed since 2009 - you would be eligible for tax years 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 BUT I could be mistaken and if so I do apologize.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks Jasper. We were approved back to 2007, but I wasn't sure if that meant we would get the CDB from January 2007 or July 2008.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    I believe they can go back 10 years, they will go back as far to a max I believe of 10 years but it depends on the year indicated on the form by the doctor.

Just make a letter stating that your son/daughter was approved, please find attached a copy of the letter of determination, please amend my taxes for the following years.

The doctor dated 2006 on the initial application but then put 2010 on the questionnaire, so could I ask to be paid back to 2006?

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedasher View Post
    The doctor dated 2006 on the initial application but then put 2010 on the questionnaire, so could I ask to be paid back to 2006?
    I would say no as the doctor was not consistent with his dates, you could try getting the doctor to change the date on his copy of the questionnaire which would have gone in your child's medical file along with a letter of explanation and fax that off to DTC/DB, it's worth a shot.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    I would say no as the doctor was not consistent with his dates, you could try getting the doctor to change the date on his copy of the questionnaire which would have gone in your child's medical file along with a letter of explanation and fax that off to DTC/DB, it's worth a shot.

Ok thanks

I've gotten myself so mixed up with this DTC and back pay etc...

I have seen online that my amount for monthy CTB has been increased but when I hear people talk about back pay were do you find that amount? Is that the Disability Benefit I should have gotten in previous years? Is it online? Or in the letter? I know I also need to apply to have my taxes adjusted that is a seperate back pay amount.

I need a manual to navigate CRA lol

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi all, I noticed yesterday on cra website they updated one of my children to entitled to claim but my other 2 it's still processing, has anyone who has applied for more than one child have that happen? And after the 'entitlement' update what happens next?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm curious about the next step as well. Is the disability benefit automatic once you see that "You are entitled to claim the disability tax credit" ? And if so, how long after does it show up on the CRA website?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi @jgdmama when I checked my ctb it said that the one child has been approved for the dtc. ...not sure when they make the calculations or how much the calculations are.
    Last edited by dainty3; Thu, Aug 28th, 2014 at 10:29 AM. Reason: spelling error

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So, I logged into my own CRA account today (the original application was done under my husbands) and I see that my monthly payment, starting in September, has gone up significantly. I wonder if I will be getting the retro amount by check, anyone know? And will it be a lump sum or installments?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If you get all your credit by direct deposit you will get the retro amount by the same way and I believe it'll be in either 2 to 3 installments. How long after you got the update of being 'entitled' did you see the update to your ctb...I saw my update yesterday but they still haven't adjusted my ctb. ..or it could be because I'm waiting for my other two to be approved. ...I don't know why they didn't do all 3 at the same time..
    .Grrrrr

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't know exactly, but it was likely the same day, or just a day or two after. Both updates were done this week.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by jgdmama View Post
    I don't know exactly, but it was likely the same day, or just a day or two after. Both updates were done this week.
    Oh ok thanks so maybe tonight or tomorrow I should hopefully see something on my ctb...then hopefully they'll update my other two also.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by platapus381 View Post

I was approved back to 2010 but CRA decided to pay me back to July 2012 so I had to write a letter to request to be paid back to January 2010.

Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast

Thread Information