User Tag List

Page 39 of 67 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 ... LastLast
Like Tree2781Likes

Thread: Canning Pics, Feel free to post yours!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Just fyi...these are the bread and butter pickles I made last summer, and I guarantee, they
    were exceptional!! Everyone loved them and honestly, I crave them! Loved them on burgers
    as well as a side with roasts, etc....The only difference I made was to process them for 10 minutes
    so that they'd be shelf-stable.
    In the pic: my antipasto, and the B&B pickles...

Here's the recipe, so simple so delish!! Enjoy!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Microwa...r_results_p1i1
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Lynn49; Sun, Aug 17th, 2014 at 11:39 AM.

bmc
    Female
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

not any jelly or jams or veggies but made some garlic chili oil using peppers from my garden!

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

Just finished a batch of blueberries in a Tahitian vanilla and citrus syrup and a batch of blueberry jam 

Name:  IMG_20140822_135110.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  103.2 KBName:  IMG_20140822_135452.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  111.0 KB

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Yum Harbie! They look great. I am busy today and tomorrow LOL I will see if i have time to post some canning deals this weekend. I do recommend you check out the thread on wm price matching to find some if you are in a hurry. Cinpow puts up a great list every week. Her list goes up on fri afternoons. Happy canning!!!
    harbie and Lynn49 like this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bmc View Post
    not any jelly or jams or veggies but made some garlic chili oil using peppers from my garden!
    That looks tasty. How did you make it?
    harbie likes this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by scouponer View Post
    Awesome.. I added the chili peppers and the red pepper flakes but the liquid in mine has turned colour a bit...not cloudy , just nor clear...I am thinking maybe the red pepper flakes?
    today I did 4 more jars...mostly cauliflower with some onions and a small amount of carrots and celery. Turned out okay
    How did you make the dehydrated onion?
    harbie likes this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Want to learn how to canning for next summer. Any suggestions? What will I need for supplies? Thinking would like to do tomatoes sauce & diced tomatoes. Love eating local & want to stay as organic as possible.
    cheekysaver likes this.
    Ebates Rocks!! Shop online & get cash back...
    http://www.ebates.ca/referrer?referrerid=4GCxUWjWWJs%3D

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweetnadz73 View Post
    How did you make the dehydrated onion?
    I didn't use dehydrated onions I used pearl onions.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

this is my 3rd year of pickeling and 5yr of jams/jelly. I've expanded my canning too. New this year is my pickled beets and grape jelly. I also bought a23q presto canner/cooker. I haven't sent the regulator in to be tested. Other than presto, where can I get it tested?
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by barbiei; Sat, Aug 30th, 2014 at 06:54 PM.
    harbie and cheekysaver like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    14 (100%)

Could someone please share a canning recipe for Salsa. Would be greatly appreciated!
    LIVE SIMPLE likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Hi Keykey, to get started in canning you need a big pot and you can put a wire round cake rack in the bottom upside down. The pot needs to be big enough to cover the jars with 2 inches of water at a full boil. You really do need the jar lifter with the canning funnel starter kit... it is under $20 and you need canning jars, lemon juice (it has to be the bottled stuff when you are canning to ensure the correct acidity.) You will also need some salt. The salt has to be non iodized. Walmart sells a course no name salt and it says for pickling... that works fine I have used it for years. I am posting a vid below showing you how to can tomatoes. For tomato's and pasta sauce you can get away with water bath canning. You do have to follow recipes. Good luck!!!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Barbiei you can get your gauge tested at a radiator repair shop. They have the proper tools to test it for you.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Romom here is a recipe for canning salsa. http://www.bernardin.ca/pages/recipe...51.php?pid=194
    I have not tried this recipe. Perhaps others will share a recipe.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I decided to get back into some preserving today, of course I had donated all my equipment, jars and paraphernalia away about 8 or 9 years ago ( doh!!), thinking there wasn't much need for me to bother anymore. My kids were never real pickle eaters at all, so I never made them anyway, but DH and I enjoy many things like beets, relish, jams, etc but there were only so many jars of things we could have around.
    Luckily I remembered I still had the deep pot to at least do the hot water bath method so I grabbed a box of the RCSS tomatoes, picked up cheapo Golden Harvest jars at WM and began!
    Too bad I realized once the tomatoes were skinned, cored and about to cook that the big pot I needed was buried so deep in the garage somewhere in our camping trailer. I could not even get near it! So back to WM to hope to find some makeshift item.

No need! I found an enamel preserving pot with the metal rack and lid!! Just one left ( biggest size, holds the tall jars easily with plenty of room to have 2" water over the lids ) The supervisor gave me a discount on it because it had a small chip on the top rim, my OOP was $20.00 I thought that was o.k.
    Then just before I got the pot on the stove I discovered on line that I might be risking damaging my relatively new glass top stove by placing that pot on it because the bottoms of these pots are often concave ( not perfectly flat bottomed) AND apparently it
    " might " suction down and adhere to the stove top!! Then trying to lift it off can crack/break the surface, so.....

IF anyone knows anything about this tell me please??

I ended up making a wonderful spaghetti sauce adding minced garlic, onions, bell peppers, fresh parsley and basil from my yard,
    Just too scared to risk my stove, so I lugged all the the jars and the big pot out to the BBQ single side burner!! lol
    The water boiled rapidly and I got my 45 minutes in even though I was worried the whole time that my propane would run out.
    I had to set up an extension cord and spotlight out there to see the BBQ because by the time everything was ready to process it was almost midnight!!
    Ended up with 3 x 1 Litre size and 12 x 250 ml size jars filled and while I have been sitting here I have been hearing the popping sound of the jars sealing!! hooray! it worked.
    Last edited by walkonby; Sun, Aug 31st, 2014 at 01:37 AM.
    harbie, Lynn49 and cheekysaver like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    I decided to get back into some preserving today, of course I had donated all my equipment, jars and paraphernalia away about 8 or 9 years ago ( doh!!), thinking there wasn't much need for me to bother anymore. My kids were never real pickle eaters at all, so I never made them anyway, but DH and I enjoy many things like beets, relish, jams, etc but there were only so many jars of things we could have around.
    Luckily I remembered I still had the deep pot to at least do the hot water bath method so I grabbed a box of the RCSS tomatoes, picked up cheapo Golden Harvest jars at WM and began!
    Too bad I realized once the tomatoes were skinned, cored and about to cook that the big pot I needed was buried so deep in the garage somewhere in our camping trailer. I could not even get near it! So back to WM to hope to find some makeshift item.

No need! I found an enamel preserving pot with the metal rack and lid!! Just one left ( biggest size, holds the tall jars easily with plenty of room to have 2" water over the lids ) The supervisor gave me a discount on it because it had a small chip on the top rim, my OOP was $20.00 I thought that was o.k.
    Then just before I got the pot on the stove I discovered on line that I might be risking damaging my relatively new glass top stove by placing that pot on it because the bottoms of these pots are often concave ( not perfectly flat bottomed) AND apparently it
    " might " suction down and adhere to the stove top!! Then trying to lift it off can crack/break the surface, so.....

IF anyone knows anything about this tell me please??

I ended up making a wonderful spaghetti sauce adding minced garlic, onions, bell peppers, fresh parsley and basil from my yard,
    Just too scared to risk my stove, so I lugged all the the jars and the big pot out to the BBQ single side burner!! lol
    The water boiled rapidly and I got my 45 minutes in even though I was worried the whole time that my propane would run out.
    I had to set up an extension cord and spotlight out there to see the BBQ because by the time everything was ready to process it was almost midnight!!
    Ended up with 3 x 1 Litre size and 12 x 250 ml size jars filled and while I have been sitting here I have been hearing the popping sound of the jars sealing!! hooray! it worked.
    I had similar issues as you...stared prepping stuff. Went downstairs to find canning pot, can't find where dh put it last year so had to wait for dh to come home. . Barely have enough room on my stove for the canning pot, another large pot of water to make sure have enough coverage, a big pot for whatever I am making and a small pot for keeping the lids warm. The canning pot takes up so much room that the small pot for lids only half fits on burner. I put the jars in the oven as I don't want to put them in canning pot as we are on a well with lots of minerals in the water and I don't want to use that much of our purchased water for that purpose so the jars go in the oven, but then it takes so long to get the canning water boiling so with all the pots on the stove going full blast it overheats the computer panel that it shuts off my oven and it won't work again until it cools down so it delays round 2. Ridiculous as it was an expensive oven..and don't get me started on the self clean feature which requires a visit from the repairman every time you use it. ..so I sympathize with you having to use the BBQ and rigging up lights so you can see and worrying about running out of propane. Made me smile...it is all worth it when we eat our yummy stuff in the dead of winter and it tastes like summer. the popping sound of the lids sealing is the best sound after all the effort...it's like thank god it worked! We bought a new BBQ so hopefully side burner will work for canning. Fingers crossed!
    walkonby and cheekysaver like this.

Page 39 of 67 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 ... LastLast

Thread Information