User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Has the return policy for cosmetics at SDM changed?

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Hey! So I'm wondering what the return policy is for used cosmetics at SDM?

Back story- after making a large purchase a couple weeks ago, I found that 2 items, that I tried once, didn't work for me (breakouts/rashes galore!). I've never returned cosmetics to SDM before but I thought that after talking to a cosmetics manager at another location that they accept returns, as long as it's within 30 days and with receipt. So it was within 30 days and with receipt but the cashier refused to accept the return. It was so embarrassing as other customers stared at me and she made it seem like I was a complete idiot and made huge fuss about how they can't resell them so why would they return them, etc, which I of course realized but stated that I thought they would send them back to the manufacturer.. So she called the supervisor, and even though I tried to explain in a multitude of ways what I was trying to do, and what I thought the policy was, she also wouldn't accept the return. She told me that I needed to return the items when either the general manager or the cosmetics dpt manager was there, so I had to come back the next day and they would decide whether or not to accept it. She told me that the cosmetics dpt had a meeting and that she thought their policy had changed, or wasn't sure if it had..or something.

So, does anyone have a recent policy? Can I email head office, and if so what is the contact? I know there is the broad statement for returns that they are able to refuse to accept returns for any reason at any time, but I'm so confused. I shop at SDM all the damn time and have never been treated like that..

TLDR: Return refused. What is the return policy for used cosmetics for SDM, and who can I contact?

TIA
    This thread is currently associated with: Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

if you say the product is allergy for you, then it should no problem to return it.
    or you could try to call the customer service, the number is on the back of your optimum card.
    If I remember correctly, it is 1-800-shopper

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    162 (100%)

Never have been able to return items that are used on the body at any store ie make up, undies, etc. Best bet is to contact the manufacturer instead. May offer coupon or something for your trouble.

Every now and then a shoppers does a promo swap of bring in an old lipstick and get a new one on a deal. Imagine the old ones are recycled rather than garbaged.
    Zoombucks are back: Please consider using my link to sign up again: https://zoombucks.com/?ref=IIHO0L

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've been told that Shoppers will accept returns and exchanges if you have a reaction to the product or there is a defect. You have to fill out a form for quality assurance. I would contact the cosmetics manager or head office
    Last edited by jsmile; Wed, Sep 10th, 2014 at 04:59 AM.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

As far as I know, they only accept returns of open Quo/Life products since they are the manufacturer of them unless you bought a faulty product rather than not liking the product.
    Since SDMs are generally owned by the pharmacist, some have better return policies as they want to keep customers happy, but this also means the store owner is out of pocket with returned cosmetics that are used and cannot be resold.

They used to have a section in the return policy about opened cosmetics but they seem to have removed it. When I tried, the told me to contact the manufacturer who gave me a refund and a coupon to try a different product so I was actually better off going through them
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by momof3heathens View Post
    Never have been able to return items that are used on the body at any store ie make up, undies, etc. Best bet is to contact the manufacturer instead. May offer coupon or something for your trouble.

Every now and then a shoppers does a promo swap of bring in an old lipstick and get a new one on a deal. Imagine the old ones are recycled rather than garbaged.
    You can return all purchases from Sephora no questions asked.
    beckie.c likes this.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by annedougherty View Post
    You can return all purchases from Sephora no questions asked.

I've never had a problem returning at the Mac kiosk either.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

SD has always been a problem with cosmetic return. What's worse is their attitude and ability to make you the customer feel stupid--publicly too boot!!
    Sephora is amazing. They will help you, will provide samples to take home and try, they don't give you any hassle if you return..no reason needed..and they only ask that you don't use all the produce before returning it!!!
    I have spend thousands of $ at SD on p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Oops...product I was unable to use and they never once gave a care! Take your cosmetic business to Sephora. I just returned a powder compact I tried for several months without a problem and I was give a birthday gift!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Kayley View Post
    Hey! So I'm wondering what the return policy is for used cosmetics at SDM?

Back story- after making a large purchase a couple weeks ago, I found that 2 items, that I tried once, didn't work for me (breakouts/rashes galore!). I've never returned cosmetics to SDM before but I thought that after talking to a cosmetics manager at another location that they accept returns, as long as it's within 30 days and with receipt. So it was within 30 days and with receipt but the cashier refused to accept the return. It was so embarrassing as other customers stared at me and she made it seem like I was a complete idiot and made huge fuss about how they can't resell them so why would they return them, etc, which I of course realized but stated that I thought they would send them back to the manufacturer.. So she called the supervisor, and even though I tried to explain in a multitude of ways what I was trying to do, and what I thought the policy was, she also wouldn't accept the return. She told me that I needed to return the items when either the general manager or the cosmetics dpt manager was there, so I had to come back the next day and they would decide whether or not to accept it. She told me that the cosmetics dpt had a meeting and that she thought their policy had changed, or wasn't sure if it had..or something.

So, does anyone have a recent policy? Can I email head office, and if so what is the contact? I know there is the broad statement for returns that they are able to refuse to accept returns for any reason at any time, but I'm so confused. I shop at SDM all the damn time and have never been treated like that..

TLDR: Return refused. What is the return policy for used cosmetics for SDM, and who can I contact?

TIA
    What were the products that you were trying to return?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

You can return ANY cosmetic item as long as it is within 30 days.
    It is ALL SDM policy.

You don't have to lie and say it was an allergy.

You aren't happy with the product.
    Call head office. Also ask for bonus points for your troubles.
    luckbealady likes this.
    Get free gift cards for amazon & paypal. I've earned $100's with the click of my mouse!
    Swagbucks: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/TremorKitty
    Superpoints is BACK! https://www.superpoints.com/join/5Gp...0VOe51KdfmpCzw

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by heylids View Post
    Oops...product I was unable to use and they never once gave a care! Take your cosmetic business to Sephora. I just returned a powder compact I tried for several months without a problem and I was give a birthday gift!!!

I know! It's so embarrassing. Thanks for the input- I would totally shop at Sephora but ATM the nearest location is 5+hours away, and their online site is so annoying for Canadians. Plus I use a mix of drugstore and high end cosmetics...arghh.!

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I've returned shampoo before, after my DM had reactions to it without issue. I haven't needed to return cosmetics. But it would be the same theory.

BUT

I found out this past weekend that cosmetics can't do returns. I had checked out at the cosmetics counter, and she missed one of my personalized coupons for $$ off. She said I had to go to the regular cashiers to return it and repurchase it, as she couldn't do it at her till.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sarajk View Post
    You can return ANY cosmetic item as long as it is within 30 days.
    It is ALL SDM policy.

You don't have to lie and say it was an allergy.

You aren't happy with the product.
    Call head office. Also ask for bonus points for your troubles.

Thank you for this!

FYI- Last night I asked the cosmetics dpt manager at another store 45 minutes from the first one and she said the same thing... that she is supposed to take back any return as long as it's within 30 days and with receipt, even if you just didn't like the product.. I mean I guess I could see if they refused it because it was like 60% empty or something but..

It's still so frustrating how many differing opinions there are on what the actual policy is, as evidenced by this thread..

does anyone have an email address that I Could use? I just think the only way they'll listen to me is if I have something written about the policy to show them..

Also- what about returns to other locations? I would prefer to just return it to the initial one but man that was embarrassing. I'll likely end up keeping it for fear of going through that again, even though I'd really rather not.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The shoppers customer service line is very helpful and they answer facebook messages promptly. I'd go either ways if the store is not accepting the return (especially if you have a reaction to the product. SDM Should stand behind all their products)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information