User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Well DD will be one on Friday and I have heard that it might be time to start the transition form bottle to cup/sippy cup.

This is where she gets all of her milk from (she is on whole milk now). She has her bottles at the beginning of every meal. Do I try and add her milk to a cup and still give it to at the beginning or should it now accompany her meal? I am afraid that she won't get as much this way. I tried to give her milk in several different cups but she spit it out. She is now getting the hang of using a sippy cup with juice. I think she thinks milk should be in a bottle only.
    I want to make sure she gets enough milk each day. How much should a 1 year old be drinking each day? Any tricks or ideas?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I couldn't tell you how to get them off the bottle because I have two boys who refuse to get off. My eldest is 3 yrs old and drinks 2 ounces before bedtime still in a bottle because he loves it for comfort I know. My 19 month old still has his too but I think he is too young to ween off. I know they say around 2yrs is a good time to get them off the bottle, prior to that in my opinion they are losing out on milk they need and love. I know doctors and dentists say it is no good for their teeth but I just don't have the heart to take it away from them

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by amycrows View Post
    I know they say around 2yrs is a good time to get them off the bottle, prior to that in my opinion they are losing out on milk they need and love. I know doctors and dentists say it is no good for their teeth but I just don't have the heart to take it away from them
    That is what I am afraid of... not getting enough milk and possible tooth decay. But DD first has her bottle, then her solids and we always brush her teeth before bed. She has never taken a bottle to bed.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

My boys do not take a bottle to bed with them, even if they take it up to their rooms they bursh up or wipe before they actually sleep. My youngest might be easier to get off of it because he sucks his thumb (I know a whole other can of worms) so he has something to suck on to sleep and comfort. My eldest will kick and scream and throw a major tantrum so all I put is 2 ounces and he is content. I don't get it, the doctors told me to make him put up a fuss but its easier said than done sometimes when you already have another baby sleeping in the room next door and don't want to awake.

Good luck

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    78 (100%)

i took my son off the bottle when the whole "bpa" thing came up. he was just over a year. i switched him to the nuby sippy cups that have a silicone nozzle. they are very bottle like. the spout is almost like a nipple. you could give that a try. whenever my son is thirsty i give him milk, with meals and in between to make sure he drinks enough.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

my youngest - 18m still uses a bottle and i love it, he still looks like my little baby haha.
    i don't think there is a huge rush

Trading Score
    56 (100%)

From what I've read, at 1 year old they still need between 12-24 oz. of milk each day (12 is the minimum requirement). But don't forget that things like yogurt and cheese count towards that requirement too. I didn't have any problems switching my son off the bottle, so I can't really give you much advice about that. But he's 2 now and he has lot's of milk in his cereal, plus usually at least a glass of milk each day. He also eats cheese and yogurt regularly.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

My DD is 6 months old and I've been giving her a sippy cup with some water in it. She hasn't been able to drink from it yet, but rather just chews on the spout, but drops do come out. I hope eventually she'll be able to figure it out. It's the BPA free Avent one that I got for free through the mail offer.

in the Ghetto of Richmond...apparently :rolleyes:
    Trading Score
    111 (100%)

My daughter is 6 months old too and my goal is to wean her off the bottle as soon as she gets the idea of holding something bigger than a ring toy. Mommy BK can your daughter hold on to the sippy cup?
    :pottytrain2: :pottytrain2: :pottytrain2:

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

don't rush babies off the bottle. Six months is just too early. Mine refused to take a bottle at 7 months, and now I have to give him lots of cheese and yogurt through the day just to get the minimum requirement.
    SwagBucks.com - the premiere digital dollar. Earn SwagBucks to redeem for great prizes. Amazon.ca are available here!

LeadPrizes.com - I have redeemed for $6 into my PayPal account in just under two weeks. You can too with this awesome PTC site!

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

My sons 18 months old and at the eyar amrk we made the switch to sippy cups. It was pretty entertaining watching him use them to draw pictures on the floor, table whatever.
    We used the nubby ones for a but now we have switched ot these pooh bear ones from wlamrt he loves thema nd they are insulated so it keeps juice, milk cold.

He gets 2/3 cup milk in his oatmeal every morning with fresh fruit followed by a yogurt.
    I do alot of juicing so snacks its fresh juice or milk in his sippy cup.
    He goes through about 3 - 4 sippys full of milk a day. Along with cheese he loves cheese (grilled cheese luches a few days a week) plus on average hes taking in 3 - 3 of those mini go yogurts. He loves them so much it was his first word, yogurt...
    Also milk in his cereal befor bed. We rarely if ever bust out the bottle now. he got it a few days last week as he was sick and we thought a bottle of warm milk might help calm him down and make him feel better. Comfort food for toddlers....

Have fun and worse case you drink from the sippy cup to show how its all done.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

my 19m old son SUDDENLY decided 2 days ago that he hates his beloved bottle and will now ONLY drink from a sippy cup. Even to go to sleep he wants to now take his sippy cup into his bed.
    This happened out of nowhere, with no help from anyone lol

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I had both of my daughters on sippy cups at 10 months.
    My first was easy to please, took the first cup I gave her no problem. My youngest was alot more finicky, and I had to try a few different types before I foind one she would take. Eventually, the ones that worked for us, were the ones with the built in flixible straw. She still had to suck a bit, like with her bottle, so I think that;s what appealed to her.
    I kept trying with regular sippy cups every few weeks or so, until she was comfortable with them.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I switched from bottle to cup when i switched formula for cows milk. i found it easy this way. cows milk went in the sippy cup and formula in the bottle. they always perfered the cows milk so it was easy i gave them a choice what they wanted to drink. formula only in the bottles while sippy cups had juice, water or milk.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

My son has now changed his mind and loves his bottle again. lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information