User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: No "Stuff" Christmas gift ideas

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I am trying to accumulate less "stuff."

I don't want Christmas gifts that will sit around and clutter my house. Especially when there are people who could use that stuff more than me.

I don't need 3 teapots (true story)
    Or skincare. I have crazy sensitive skin so can pretty much only use coconut oil. People know this yet keep giving me things that I cannot use for health reasons. And I smile so they don't feel bad. And they waste their money

Are you having a less "stuff" holiday?

I know people still want to show they care. But I don't want people to spend their money on something that will sit around.

I can tell my family this no problem. But how to tell others like the in-laws and still be polite?

I told DH To get me nothing, but if he must, I am looking for food or a ticket to something interesting.

I'll probably tell him to take that cheese gift box from the Cheese magazine and put it to use.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by torontogal12; Sat, Nov 29th, 2014 at 11:56 AM.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I do agree with the accumulation of stuff becoming an issue ( the more you age the worse it gets! ) so for a few years when we were all still exchanging gifts within the family ( adult siblings, etc) a few of us politely requested anything that could be used up
    ( eaten/drank ) in a short time was acceptable, but knick knacks/decor/figurines/collectables would not be appreciated. We no longer exchange now which is even better! Good luck on handling your situation, even when you inform people sometimes they feel guilty unless they get you a REAL gift.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I do understand how you feel - like WOB, our extended family doesn't exchange gifts any longer.

I just don't think it's a good thing to tell people what you want, or don't want.

Gifts are given from the heart, and you just need to be a gracious recipient - remembering the spirit of the season.

If you can't use the gift, see if you have a family member or friend who would like it - if not, you can always donate it.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I hear you. DH and i don't exchange gifts, MIL insists on sending us something (even last year after we'd agreed we weren't doing that anymore). I would LOVE if someone wanted to give me a gift, please give a donation to a charity, a food bank, tell me you did this with me in mind.

Trading Score
    346 (100%)

I ask for consumables .. nothing that will be around.
    I also ask for them to donate to Plan Canada - chicken, goat, ....
    Or I ask for something - they're really really good at -- love a jar of your xyz;
    sometimes I ask for the gift of time - can we go for coffee and I've always wanted to know how you do x y z

I like coffee - so starbucks gift card will never go to waste. I can sell, trade, regift ..
    Extra cash here - earn by searching/watching videos/doing offers on swagbucks - it's a legit site and pays reliably.

Already do swagbucks?try Instagc or pm me for invite codes for Gifthulk.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

A great idea, to ask how do you do X. Plan Canada is a great idea too, we have a friend whose family does this, gives chickens and goats, etc.
    Angela273, macw1960, ticul and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I like the charitable gift ideas if one has friends/family that want to gift you but you know there is real need for causes. Always good to test the relatives and ask which causes would they like to support in your name?
    Angela273, macw1960, ticul and 1 others like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

I really understand you Torontogal. We only buy what we really want or get GC. As for others, I am like a child, exited to receive and open a gift. If I do get something that I dont need there is always someone else in the familly that may need it or a friend.

I love this time of the year. The giving time. It always make's me fell good wen I give a gift so, it probably make's them fell good also. Thank you for sharing..............................

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

One of the best gifts I have recieved was for an evenings babysitting when we had small children. It meant we coud spend time as a pair of adults and not have to worry about the children..

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

The last few years I've been giving family members, gift baskets with a years supply of different items in them from my stockpile.. This year, I'm giving my kids, money and then all family have to byobs (bring your own bags/boxes) and let them take a years supply of whatever products they want to use.. I'm too tired... or lazy, not sure which is true.. feels like tired.. I don't want any gifts.. in the past I always asked for gifts of time.. a gift certificate to go for lunch or coffee at a later time.. they never feel its enough and give me stuff.. I don't want stuff, I don't need stuff.. so now I say a gift of time or a walmart gc..that way I can use it cover tax sometimes when I'm couponing :O)

My fella is home for Christmas this year and I have an awful feeling he is going to buy me an ipad.. I don't want an ipad.. he brings it up now and then.. i state all the reasons, I don't want it and then he states why I'd like it.. so it seems to be in my future.. I really don't need anything.. I have enough stuff..
    macw1960 and torontogal12 like this.
    Be sure to click like and post a brag if you get the deal.. It makes my day!!! Flattery may just get you more deals

Be sure to double check your flyer, points and cashback offers~ YMMV

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    A great idea, to ask how do you do X. Plan Canada is a great idea too, we have a friend whose family does this, gives chickens and goats, etc.
    An older couple told me that her son and his wife asked them to do that instead of buying gifts for the kids at Christmas time.. She said it was a good idea but she really enjoying finding gifts the kids would like..They no longer had their own small kids and couldnt spoil their grandkids a wee bit.. Perhaps the parents should buy the goats and let the grandparents be the fun ones.
    Be sure to click like and post a brag if you get the deal.. It makes my day!!! Flattery may just get you more deals

Be sure to double check your flyer, points and cashback offers~ YMMV

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I love the chickens and goats idea. Those can mean a lot of income for a family (selling eggs/milk).

Also, how can you not love the Gordon Pinsent voice on that goat!

Me and DH have decided on making a donation to that and a medical association close to our hearts. I do want to do some research on their admin costs first.

We will still get physical gifts for people who like them.
    Last edited by torontogal12; Sun, Nov 30th, 2014 at 11:26 PM.
    Angela273 and macw1960 like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

I could have written this post myself - SO we tried secret santa with parents, siblings, inlaws and one sibling took such issue with it she refused to be included. Same sibling refused same idea this year - so what am I "stuck" doing.. Stuff.. Well I've narrowed it down to gift baskets (I posted about this) with great full sized items that I got FREE and have included a gift card with some, not all..

It's the "stuff" but also the pricetag of all of that stuff that is incredibly annoying - needless to say We have pretty well gone the route of wines (for those who actually drink it) Chocolates for those with a sweet tooth and gift cards (to places we know they actually like). Can't beat LCBO and Canadian Tire.. I feel that at least the GC ensures they will get somethign they like/need/otherwise would have spent $$ on..

No snow globes that's for sure..

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    One of the best gifts I have recieved was for an evenings babysitting when we had small children. It meant we coud spend time as a pair of adults and not have to worry about the children..
    Our son is 2yrs old and we would also love this as a gift. We both don't have local family, so our friends are that much more important to us.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I totally understand the whole no stuff thing. I have far too much stuff to begin with and I don't have space for more. My family doesn't usually exchange gifts. We do give a box of cookies or chocolates to each family but we don't do individual stuff for the kids any more. We do gifts for my second cousins because they're children, but my mom, brother and I are the 'boring' family who don't gift toys. We like to gift books to them because they have far too many toys. For my mom and brother this year, I've symbolically adopted their animal of choice from WWF. It does have stuff in that it is an adoption kit, which has a small stuffed animal, an adoption certificate, poster of the animal and a re-useable bag.
    macw1960 and torontogal12 like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information