User Tag List

Page 11 of 58 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
Like Tree6265Likes

Thread: Dashing December Savings (frugal chatter 2014)

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiegirl2010 View Post
    I can tell you first hand that this is a very scary situation to be in and it happened so easily.... None of our debt is consumer debt either. All vehicle and home repair expenses... Owning a home is definatly not all its cracked up to be. Make sure when buying a house you not only save for a down payment but have a large emergency fund as buying a house is buyer beware!
    Buyer beware for sure. Friends of ours just bought a house in July. One week later they had carpenter ants and still do despite fumigating. Apparently there are different types of inspections that are available not just the basic one that most people get.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    oh hun how stressful, the insurance co./adjuster should be given the receipts for the recent expenses put into the car i.e. tires, etc. because for ex. if you put $4000.00 into repairs and the book value is $10,000.00 you still just put $4000.00 into repairs, I would contact the insurance co. about that directly. And I don't see why a car seat would not be replaced as it was involved in an accident and is no longer as "safe", definitely call transport Canada if for nothing else but peace of mind.

Good luck with your car search and don't be afraid to haggle, I mean really haggle it's such a competitive market and right now they want to clear the 2014's as the new 2015's have in some makes already been released or are soon to be in Jan/Feb. Don't be afraid to walk away but say here's my # incase you change your mind, you just never know.

If you don't mind my asking why do you need to provide dishes for your new daycare? Is she only using throw away dishes or something? And is this childcare provider providing the meals or are you providing the meals?
    The tires will be taken off, so they won't be getting them at the time when we drop it off for the rental. We've had repairs done to the car, but in the last claim with this insurance company, they find the lowest price of a comparable car off of kijiji and give you that. DH thought the price they gave was fair. I imagine they would argue that you don't have to pay tax on kijiji so what they offered they won't change. The recent repairs don't increase the value of the car (they're not upgrades) but just to keep the car on the road (new serpentine belt, new wiper blades, new oil undercoat, etc.). If they said no, I don't know what I would say.

The new daycare doesn't provide anything in terms of meals. Parents have to bring all their own cutlery, bowls, cups, etc. and it all gets bagged up and returned at the end of the day. I'm not comfortable using "microwave safe" plastic bowls so I would have to bring and label all of them. Getting labels on little forks and spoons is going to be a challenge!

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I forgot to mention that this adjuster never answers her phone. It takes her about a week to get back to you (if ever) and we only have a weekend to find the car. That means when we buy, it's all coming out of pocket. There won't be a cheque until much later.

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    I'm surprised it's not higher , I look at my neighbours, people we know who have new cars, big houses or vastly renovated houses and their kids have everything, they are dressed to the nines, they get coffee in the mornings, buy their lunches, go out for supper very often, I'm not jealous I just wonder what I am doing wrong like Ashley said in the November thread
    The number was "average", so half really do have more debt.

I'm not sure it's that you're doing anything wrong. One of my schoolmates went to Alberta (where she's from) after university and got a great paying job in her 20s. I didn't. Over the years, her industry (oil and gas) was booming. Mine tanked. Her DH also had a really great job. Mine doesn't. Both have short commutes. We don't. Because of her industry, she also gets cheap gas. With her travelling, she gets a subsidized car. She's allowed to expense many things at her work (because of the nature of her job) and they only look at expenses over $50. When she comes to visit, the lunches are free since it's always under $50. They make her travel a lot (currently she's living in the US for the next two years) and because they've made her move, they subsidize her housing, her daycare, clothing for a new climate, etc. She's renting her Canadian house (fancy and in a high end neighbourhood) and making a very good income from that. Let's just say on the rental income from her house alone, I could stop working completely....

Both her and her DH have very good incomes. A decade ago, she complained that she moved into the highest tax bracket and was disappointed about the higher taxes. I'm sure she's seen many increases and bonuses since then.

Our company is a bit of a tightwad in comparision with each expense scrutinized. It's a totally different world. I remember she saw how much she made once and she exclaimed that she had no idea how it was possible to survive on so little. I know she's not used to it. She never lets me pay her for her cast offs to me. We've inherited her old couch (with a rip in the back and the underside) that they couldn't fit into their basement, and a lot of her stamp sets (so I can make cards if I ever find the time). She let me have some of her maternity sweaters when I was pregnant with LO and generally been quite kind. Sometimes, I wonder if she feels sorry for me. I just thank her from the bottom of my heart and appreciate the excess of what she's not using.

She has humble beginnings so she's an SCer at heart. Imagine two large incomes and frugal ways (in some respects) and you can see how she lives the way she does with lots left over for vacations and retirement. And by the way, she has a really good pension, so she doesn't even need a lot in her RRSPs, but she's saved the rest just in case the world stops driving in our lifetime and no longer needs gas. Ha ha....

I can't really compare my situation to hers. We're worlds apart financially. I'm sure people must look at her and think she must have tons of debt, but it's quite the opposite.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

sweet sparrow I would argue the taxes because once you go to the license bureau to change the ownership you will be charged taxes on the amount of the car purchased atleast that's how it is here in Ontario if buying privately.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    I forgot to mention that this adjuster never answers her phone. It takes her about a week to get back to you (if ever) and we only have a weekend to find the car. That means when we buy, it's all coming out of pocket. There won't be a cheque until much later.
    Gee, seems like you are going through hassles with this, big time - which obviously you don't need at this time.
    Don't know if it's our location, our insurance company, or just darned good luck, but we have always have things settled with vehicles very quickly and fairly - and cheque in hand as we left, once things were settled.

Wishing you luck finding a new-to-you vehicle!

Cable is out since yesterday, have been on and off the phone with a wonderful tech over the last hour trying to figure things out, to see if it can be fixed remotely before having a tech come out. An update to the digital box was done in our area yesterday, apparently ours isn't happy about it!
    Nothing beats Shaw tech service, though - on the rare occasions we have needed them for cable or internet help, they are always wonderful!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

SS-you are so right that some provinces have better financial opportunities than others. I grew up in Ontario and in some ways would love to go back but I don't think the economic/work opportunites would be as good for my teen as she grows older-plus most of my extended family is in Calgary now-most of us moved out here. Yesterday I was at our local small shopping plaza and saw at least two help wanted signs-retail but a good starting point for young people doing part time work while in school. I guess any of us are free to move to the booming provinces( which do change from time to time)- but it is hard to leave family, jobs, sell houses etc.

My parents emigrated from England with 4 small children on a boat across the Atlantic when I was 5 years old( and I knocked myself unconscious in the middle of the sea but that is a story for another day!), and I know for a fact that all 5 of us kids( one more born after we arrived) have had much better educational/work opportunities because of their decision and I am thankful for that. They had very little money( borrowed the boat passage fare from the Can govt and paid it back at $25 per week according to my Mum) and left their families behind -it must have been scary and risky but it gve us all a better future. Something to think about for all of us as we choose where to live and work-I have had lots of friends work in the Middle East too for the high salaries so they could retire earlier but that never appealed to me-nor working in the US even though my DH is from there-but the weather would be nicer down in the Southern US for sure!
    Last edited by lizzie bargain; Thu, Dec 4th, 2014 at 01:21 PM.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by macw1960 View Post
    Buyer beware for sure. Friends of ours just bought a house in July. One week later they had carpenter ants and still do despite fumigating. Apparently there are different types of inspections that are available not just the basic one that most people get.
    This is the reason my hubby and I decided to go for a new build when we bought last year. We did have to pay extra but were able to take out a smallish LOC which we will have paid down in about two years. Hubby isn't a handyman at all so it would cost us a lot if major repairs were needed should we have bought an older home. We did our research and the builders we bought the home from had a good reputation (still building a lot of homes in our area so we know they will be around for a while) and they have been fantastic. One outstanding issue is a noisy wall when hot water drains from the upstairs. They say that the drain pipe probably expands and makes noise when it rubs against something. They are going into the wall in May and fixing it.

The previous home we lived in for 22 years was great for us but going to cost us a lot in repairs and updating. When we bought the home, after a short time we noticed the lawn spongy and soggy - sure enough, there was an underground water leak that needed to be fixed. There were other issues with the home as well and repairs sure added up quickly. But, all in all, we were happy to sell the place for 2-1/2 times the amount we bought it for so it was overall a good investment. We just had to move because of an absolutely horrible neighbour whose yard started looking like junk, plus he would drive over our lawn! I can't believe actually that we sold our place with the state his yard was in.

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Taxes are included on the price. We're not getting much because DH drives so far each day so the mileage is quite high, but it's all highway. Last time we went through this insurance company, we had the cheque in hand in a few days. This time, I think it's just the adjuster.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Things went a little sideways with the pre-op stuff (have to go back tomorrow - they had an emergency, since I've been the cause of things going wonky with my own emergencies, I really have no cause to complain).

On the plus side, I've been emailing back and forth with someone needing a home for their critter. I should know by tonight whether everything works out as planned & my friend has a new roommate. Fingers and paws crossed here.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

SS good luck in your car search.

Trading Score
    41 (100%)

@Ciel they are fantastic! you truly can not taste the 'green' in them. My recipe doesn't really go by measurements but i put in, one handful of spinach, chunk of cucumber, one very ripe banana, about a teaspoon chia seeds, shake of frozen mangoes (lol), milk, and sometimes a tablespoon of peanut butter for a rich taste. Never would have thought i would love peanut butter in smoothies! mmhhhhm
    My Tradelist and Wishlist

Join the Purell Loyalty Program for easy rewards such as gift cards and coupons!

Get FREE Men's Boxers when 1O friends sign up
    http://www.comfortableboxers.com?kid=55D9S

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

sweet sparrow good luck -you sure have been thru a lot hon
    -well got my haircut -checkout51 check came in today and use that to pay for it
    -my hairdresser said she always loves the baskets i make up -see people do appreciate them
    then stopped at fortinos for a few groceries
    -my tree is not fully done but hey it will get done in a few day -babysit on Friday/sat too

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

The soup I made was delicious, the boys enjoyed their pizza and blueberry muffins are made - all 18 of them, put 8 away in the freezer quickly (wink) for another time.

Photocopied and mailed our dental and prescription receipts, feels good to finally having done it, I just find the whole process so overwhelming.

Tomorrow I plan to do some more baking as I didn't feel like tackling the banana muffins tonight but that's okay, we'll probably make pecan pie muffins tomorrow too as the oven will be going anyways, this way there will be a good variety for lunches/snacks.

Dh has scheduled some massage therapy appointments to give his back some much needed relief - he might as well take advantage of this coverage as the year end is coming and he is allowed a certain amount, so he's super happy that he is going tomorrow and a few other appointments throughout the month

Nothing much planned for the weekend and that's okay....really need to finish up some Christmas shopping but trying to do it in strides as the budget allows

Wishing everyone a good evening
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Gifts/poems are done yeah! Our traditional gift giving is Sunday night (Sinterklaas) - each year my extended family all pick names out of the hat. We are required to buy a gift for just one person ($20) limit and have to make a poem to go with the gift. Most of the poems can be hilarious = we just have a ton of fun. And that is it for gift giving for us and then we just focus on Christmas - church, family dinners (usually potluck), music evenings, etc. Very relaxing! I'm just so thankful that we never have to deal with the frenzy!

Page 11 of 58 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread Information