User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: It's not like SHE'll use math once she leaves school

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

The general public doesn't use algebra or trig outside of school --thank god, I was bad at math-- but my elementary-level math education has proven invaluable as I get older. Some people are just dumb
    Anna Michele likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The general majority do not use algebra nor trig, but I do use math, like +- X/, basic budgeting, interest, counting change, etc....and mostly if you use math it is for winning a contest -- math skill question in order to win the grand prize!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

When my kids ask that I always ask them how else will they know if they are getting the right change back at a store etc. Math is used everyday and much of the time we don't even realize it.
    Earn Gift Cards With Me Click the link below
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/erin9mmm

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

That's just crazy! I'm not terribly good at math, but in daily life you use it all the time.
    Natalka and Ciel like this.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 17th, 2015 at 11:03 AM.
    Insane, Ciel, kellyanna_99 and 2 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

My daughter, since she was little she loved math, she won awards for math in school, in grade 12 she wanted to take physics but since there were not a lot of kids taking it she had to do it on line..she got high marks and received a scholarship to go to university, she had a very small class and smaller at graduation. She was in a class with very few girls and even fewer Canadians, most of them were international students..she is only 22 and has a high paying job with the government and gets great benefits!! Am I proud, extremely..why did I say all this,because that is how important it is to have MATH!!! Please encourage your children to take math, it might not make sense to them when they are younger, or they may think they will never use it..but you need it every day!!
    Ciel, lecale, Anna Michele and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Chantel View Post
    The general public doesn't use algebra or trig outside of school --thank god, I was bad at math-- but my elementary-level math education has proven invaluable as I get older. Some people are just dumb
    Smart Canucks use algebra weekly.
    Ever see a buy one get one half price sale? A newer version of the old buy one get one free deal?
    That's algebra!

Smart Canucks try and figure out if the deal is a deal with BOGO and BOGO1/2 price advertisements
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Fri, Dec 19th, 2014 at 09:50 PM.
    Ciel and Anna Michele like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I used algebra this week:
    27 inches of fabric width for a side curtain panel (I cut a 54" wide fabric section in half to get two panels for the window). Two inches had to be used for side seams, so 25 inches were left to put pleats and returns on. How many pinch pleats can I fit on the panel?

2 (pleat size)x (no. of pleats) + (x+2, since there are two more returns/flat areas than pleats) 3(inches per flat area)=25
    or
    2x + (x+2)3=25
    5x=19
    x=3.8 or 4 pleats, and I had 6 returns (once section was 4inches wide and it works with the traverse hardware on the rod).

Sewing is great for math challenges, esp. if there's an oops involved.

Anyone who contests and discovers a skill-testing question that involves BEDMAS can answer it if they remember the Brackets/Exponents then Division/Multiplication then Addition/Subtraction order. That's math too.
    Last edited by Ciel; Fri, Dec 19th, 2014 at 10:13 PM.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    I used algebra this week:
    27 inches of fabric width for a side curtain panel (I cut a 54" wide fabric section in half to get two panels for the window). Two inches had to be used for side seams, so 25 inches were left to put pleats and returns on. How many pinch pleats can I fit on the panel?

2 (pleat size)x (no. of pleats) + (x+2, since there are two more returns/flat areas than pleats) 3(inches per flat area)=25
    or
    2x + (x+2)3=25
    5x=19
    x=3.8 or 4 pleats, and I had 6 returns (once section was 4inches wide and it works with the traverse hardware on the rod).

Sewing is great for math challenges, esp. if there's an oops involved.

Anyone who contests and discovers a skill-testing question that involves BEDMAS can answer it if they remember the Brackets/Exponents then Division/Multiplication then Addition/Subtraction order. That's math too.
    I am so jealous:
    -->that you can sew
    -->that you can sew drapes!
    That saves so much money
    Ciel and Anna Michele like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I almost convinced her to get a portable sewing machine but that would have cost $$$. The old machine did straight stitching but could not stitch the thicknesses of pleats (thus the handsewing).

We could not find happy colours/patterns and good prices for readymade curtain panels. Our happy fabric was in a corner of the drapery store and there was enough on the roll to get what was needed. Just need to buy more pin hooks so that the curtains hang properly. A video set me straight that we were using the wrong hooks and the wear on the old curtains showed in the tops bending away from the rod.
    Yes, there was money saved--Mom spent it on something else.
    Last edited by Ciel; Fri, Dec 19th, 2014 at 10:29 PM.
    lecale, Shwa Girl and Anna Michele like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

A closeup of the pinch pleat on a larger curtain panel (for front windows):

Name:  PinchPleatCloseup.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  33.7 KB

Rocky! Rocky! Rah Rah Rah c_mcarthur's Avatar
    Trading Score
    102 (100%)

Sad but most people do forget how to use math. I work retail and have people all the time ask if its 50% off of the regular price, how much will it be?
    Well start by dividing by 2....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ciel, Shwa Girl and Anna Michele like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I work as a cashier and there are so many cashiers who I work with who are constantly grabbing a calculator or their registers never balance. Anyone who says math isn't useful deserves to have some of my slower co-workers wait on them.
    Reading your post was so frustrating! I remember when I was in grade seven I was awful at math but then I put a lot of effort into it and then one day it just clicked for me and then I found math was the easiest subject throughout high school, and I somehow got the highest mark in my advanced math 12 class (despite the fact that I am female). Don't let your daughter get discouraged by the idiots of the world! She is lucky to have you as a mom too since it is clear that you are very involved in her education
    Ciel likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

My husband has saved us a bit of money by being so quick with math. He will know exactly how much of a discount we should have received and how much the end product should be before we even get to the cash. I'm not taking 1 item either. He is pretty spot on with up to 5 or 6 items. If the cash register doesn't match his math within a few cents he questions the cashier and usually it's an error in deductions at the register. It blows my mind. I am absolutely horrible at math and have no patience to try and understand it. I did what I needed to to graduate and that's it. LOL
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

I can't tell you the last time I needed to find the derivative of something (well 2nd year university calculus probably) but high school math for sure. Outside of work, I use algebra and multiplication of fractions constantly, in particular when multiplying recipes, dishing out medicine to the kids and grocery shopping.

As for help, check out tutoring schools in your area. Or ask her teachers.
    Ciel likes this.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information