User Tag List

Page 37 of 71 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 ... LastLast
Like Tree8085Likes

Thread: Just chilling in January (2015 frugal chatter)

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-lilo impressive way to go girl
    -can you us p.cpoints on gift cards If you dont have thier p.c credit card -i am thinking maybe not but just wanted to ask?
    -busy day today -funeral at 11.00 then off to daughters condo for a lovely meal -she wants use there at 2.00 supper will be 4.30 early

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Good morning, everyone. .

Happy (belated) birthday to anyone I missed. And Bon Voyage to those folks going off on an adventure (please take lots of photos, so I can live vicariously through them ).

I've been feeling a bit out of sorts & think it might be my body getting rid of the happy juice I got at the last surgery. Even tho it wasn't real anaesthetic (as in "knock her out cold so she'll stop squirming to see what's going on"), it always takes a while for these things to get out of my system. On the plus side, I did manage to get in some playtime with the critters, so the day wasn't a complete waste.

Have a few things I have to get done today, so no excuses. Since they're mostly fun things, it won't be a problem.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    What do you think is coming in the near future given all the changes in the financial world (Canada)?

What I mean is with the oil prices going down, the closure of stores such as Target Canada, Sony closing stores, Sobey's closing 50 stores across Canada and other economic factors.

What do you predict or what have you been saying to yourself, family, friends.
    We'll see whether the trade deals with Europe change things (if they ever get off the ground). I'd prefer the dollar be at $0.90ish US - good for manufacturing and tourism & still low enough for consumers.

In terms of day to day living & food prices in general, I don't see costs going up significantly. I can still remember wanting raspberries on my b-day when I was quite young & my parents explaining that $6 for a tiny amount was not in our budget. Now, they routinely go on sale for less than $2 a box in the dead of winter. A few years back, there were a few stores that increased the price of bread by 20%, then within a few months, the price went back to normal (if I recall correctly, it was a bad year for grain crops). There are quite a few items in the grocery store that haven't increased their costs in years, so there might be a bit of a change, just in keeping with general rates of inflation. As for Sobeys, the one near me closed to make way for condos (the building was in need of major repair and they didn't want to put any money into it) - I miss their baked goods and deli section, but the prices were still quite high compared to NF or FreshCo (the NF moved in across the street and took away some business, same as they did when they moved in across from Rabba).

As for Target and Sony closing, both had flawed business models. Sony was always too expensive for what they offered, especially in an age when most shopping for electronics is done online. Target came in without due diligence, at least in my Mom's neighbourhood (in one location, Target was to take over an old Zellers and kept everyone on the hook until they scrapped the idea, when Walmart came along, gave the old Zellers employees jobs & set up shop, the other location just never opened). I realize they were under time constraints to set up shop, but opening up too many stores at once is a recipe for disaster.

jmho, for what it's worth.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Does anyone know if you can redeem your pc points on other products besides food ie. such as dvd/bluray movies, xbox games, etc or gc's for other stores that pc stores sell like restaurants, etc?

I *think* you can purchase GCs if you have a PC mastercard, but not if you only have a PCPlus card (if that makes sense). As for buying all those items, many of them are available at RCSS (if you have one nearby). The one near my Mom has a nice electronics section - I've bought a few DVDs there and friends have bought TVs there (they often have sales on, not sure if they PM electronics or not).

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Morning All,
    Slow start to the day, I am up and all but not a lot getting done yet. Still feeling really warn down for some reason, might try going on some B complex vitamins to help. I have had this happen a few times, I always go and get blood work done and they can never find anything wrong so I am kind of on my own here.

On Thursday my dad was back in our office and took me out to lunch to talk about work. It was good he did not talk to our controller but told me too which I did on Friday (more on that to come) it made me feel a lot better to know if I need him he was behind me and fully understood everything I was saying and agreed I needed more time in each branch. As well they are going to get me some leadership training, I know this was my bros idea as he told me he was going to ask my dad to get me some training. He said to me and this is as close my bro would come to a compliment "you know what your doing your good at what your doing but at times you get flustered and speak quickly so you need to work on the way you deliver information at times to the guys". So I will be meeting with the trainer at my Dad's house which is literally like 2 to 3 minutes from work.

On Friday I spoke with our controller and he agreed to let me re write my schedule and do it how ever works for me. I did not get a week in each locations but was able to spread my time out where I think it is needed and everything is still flexible if something comes up I stay longer, if I finish early I come back or move to the next location and everything depends on weather. Bad weather hits where ever I am I stay and work from there until I can head out again. In the next 3 weeks I have a lot going on but it feels a lot more manageable now.

Based on the work I got done in the basement earlier this week Mom has changed her plan again. Originally we were to sort as we emptied the room but now she wants to empty and sort as we move stuff back in which means I can get some of it done this weekend well she is working. The next big step will be to find shelving for our basement, this is the part I am not looking forward too, all I can see is $$$. Hoping Mom an find something at the Re Store she likes as this is the only way this will be done with spending a lot of money.

Well time to go wake Mom up so she can help me before she goes to work, have a great day everyone.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Remember my friend's brother who passed away very suddenly last fall? J paid for the funeral, made all the arrangements. J's brother's on-again off-again gf's sole contribution was to play a recording of herself singing a not-appropriate-for-a-funeral song during the service. She's now contesting the will (she thinks she should be sole beneficiary cause they were "common-law with separate addresses").

Sometimes I hate people.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Andit View Post
    We'll see whether the trade deals with Europe change things (if they ever get off the ground). I'd prefer the dollar be at $0.90ish US - good for manufacturing and tourism & still low enough for consumers.

In terms of day to day living & food prices in general, I don't see costs going up significantly. I can still remember wanting raspberries on my b-day when I was quite young & my parents explaining that $6 for a tiny amount was not in our budget. Now, they routinely go on sale for less than $2 a box in the dead of winter. A few years back, there were a few stores that increased the price of bread by 20%, then within a few months, the price went back to normal (if I recall correctly, it was a bad year for grain crops). There are quite a few items in the grocery store that haven't increased their costs in years, so there might be a bit of a change, just in keeping with general rates of inflation. As for Sobeys, the one near me closed to make way for condos (the building was in need of major repair and they didn't want to put any money into it) - I miss their baked goods and deli section, but the prices were still quite high compared to NF or FreshCo (the NF moved in across the street and took away some business, same as they did when they moved in across from Rabba).

As for Target and Sony closing, both had flawed business models. Sony was always too expensive for what they offered, especially in an age when most shopping for electronics is done online. Target came in without due diligence, at least in my Mom's neighbourhood (in one location, Target was to take over an old Zellers and kept everyone on the hook until they scrapped the idea, when Walmart came along, gave the old Zellers employees jobs & set up shop, the other location just never opened). I realize they were under time constraints to set up shop, but opening up too many stores at once is a recipe for disaster.

jmho, for what it's worth.
    We don't even have a Target anywhere near us so we've only shopped there once. However we did all our Christmas shopping this year online and Target does not sell anything online and their website has no pricing for items in their store except for their flyer. So we bought nothing from them. If I can't look up their pricing online or order online its not worth my time to drive an hour to the store to "just look around". I wasn't too impressed with Walmart's online business (I had to call and followup as I still did not receive a confirmation that it was being mailed after 5 business days) but it still saved me time from going into the store. Toys R Us and Amazon are far better online retailers and will do all my online shopping their from now on.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Happy Saturday! Felt good to sleep in a bit this weekend. And no hockey till Monday night when playoffs start. Today plan is to do house stuff/shopping. Clean a shelf of old paint cans that was left from previous owner. Then I can really sort and clean laundry room.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  61.3 KB dinner my honey made for us last night for date night. Was good!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I taught all 5 days this past week. 4 of the days were out of town.

Today's plans: check fliers, buy a few things, dh & LO have haircuts at lunch time, nap this afternoon (no nap since last weekend), 6pm BBQ at friend's house (have to buy 2 bags of hamburger buns for it).
    Andit, Crochetlady, Ciel and 4 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Have fun Angela!

I have had a lazy day so far, but will have to get bum in gear for nephew's birthday at 3pm. He will be one...can't wait. I guess he shares his date with Avon - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

I already Skyped with a friend living in Czech Republic this morning. That sounds productive to me for a Saturday! Should do some report cards too (groan!!!)
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Scottishgal
    Trading Score
    480 (100%)

Good Morning Everyone Just about done my morning routine so I think I will finish organizing my coupons today. Such a big job but once it is done Want to sort through some clothes and purge as well. Sorted into boxes now to go back and make the final decision. Have a French Canadian Meatpie ready for supper so just have to pop it in the oven. Maybe with Horseradish gravy and sauted carrots. Also want to get a walk in. Guess I'd better giddy up but wanted to pop in for a minute and wish everyone a great day
    saundyl, Andit, Natalka and 8 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

No big plans for today other than attending my great nieces 3rd birthday party and starting to go through paperwork and add up medical expenses etc for income tax time.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Paint shelf done and cans ready to dispose of. Another bag of old cleaners etc in garbage. Went shopping. Didn't buy much but found great deal on stuff and stocked up and received 6000 PC points. Gathering laundry to take to my moms to wash. Took chicken out to cook for meal this week. Going to go through freezer to plan other meals and prep what I can.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Yes! You can use pc points for everything they sell.
    Okay just going to double check even a gc for Kelseys or EB games?
    Andit, Crochetlady, Ciel and 2 others like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Page 37 of 71 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 ... LastLast

Thread Information