User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree467Likes

Thread: Being discriminated for buying food from dollar store!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Is it really a lie? Many many people have replied to this thread to say they've encountered the same policy at other dollar stores. That second manager might have made an exception. We don't know.

Now aren't you discriminating against him by making these really mean bolded accusations? Saying he has a sinister personality? You don't know him personally and now you're discriminating against him because he wouldn't allow it even though he was likely following store policy?

Yes you keep saying the second store manager allowed it. You don't know if the store was individually owned. Or if the first manager got in trouble hours earlier for allowing an unauthorized return.

Nobody knows someone's financial situation based on what they purchase and where they purchase it so how can you assume that he was doing this based on what you bought?

Sometimes we don't like store policies or we get unreasonable managers or we get managers at other stores who are super nice that make others look mean.

This doesn't mean that bullying is involved. It's just life.

Quote Originally Posted by Freestuffrighthere View Post
    I have been asking myself this question since the very begining, and the only answer that I can come up with is me discriminated me based on choosing that bag of pasta for exchange. I didn't know him personally, nor any of his friends. I wasn't a regular customer, never really chat with him. So, why did he made up a false policy saying that exchanges must be done within a week when I checked with another branch and found out that is a lie? The only thing I can think of is he has a sinister character, and wanted to bully the poor. He had the prejudice that I was poor, and discriminated me and bullied me. When he lied about the policy and refused to do the exchange when I had every right to, that is a form of bullying. I had the right to because there was no policy such as exchanges must be within one week, and I had my receipt and items were unopened. And I confirmed that I had the right because I actually did the exchange at another branch. Why don't you guys see that this guy mistreated me because he had some kind of prejudice against me. This is a form of discrimination. And for what reason he discriminated me? The only one I can think of is that bag of pasta, that I am poor.
    Last edited by torontogal12; Sun, Mar 1st, 2015 at 09:36 AM.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Freestuffrighthere View Post
    OMG, you are making me pulling my hair out. I said: "I bought some items that I wanted to exchange for pasta" Not the other way around! Their policy is" We will gladly exchange any unopened item with original reciept. We do not offer refunds." This is printed on their receipt. I showed him the receipt!!!!
    Wow. No need to be so rude to me and others. Sorry this situation happened to you, but why are you being rude to people who are trying to help you figure this out?

As I wrote previously, stores lose money on food returns because they have to throw it away. There's any number of explanations.

EDIT: It appears you left out critical details in your first post about this exchange policy and now you're taking this out on people who didn't know.
    Last edited by torontogal12; Sun, Mar 1st, 2015 at 10:18 AM.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Funny thing when I saw this original post I didn't want to touch it. I think it's presumptuous to say he's a discriminating jerk. Maybe he is or isn't. I agree with the post -just don't shop there anymore. The kicker is he probably forgot about you after 2 minutes while you were ripping out your hair days later.

Trading Score
    60 (100%)

The other day, the manager at a Walmart wouldn't let me use two coupons that state "one per customer" on them. The only explanation I can think of for this is that he was discriminating against me for having blond hair since my friend is a brunette and was able to use those same coupons at another Walmart store! He obviously has a prejudice against blond hair.

>>>Tradelist & Wishlist<<<
    |MILK|CHICKEN|ARCTIC GARDENS|CHAPMANS|EUROPES BEST|SYB PINS|OJ|

Trading Score
    34 (100%)

I just don't see how wanting pasta from a dollar store tells someone that they're poor... I stock up on WW pasta from any grocery store when its on sale for .99c (I've bought the WW Primo pasta from Dollar Tree for $1.25) .... I don't see how that tells someone that I must be poor.

I think it was a matter of the exchange being longer than the 7 days & wasn't personal.... no one here is attacking you (I know you didn't say that but the tone used in past posts has given the impression that you are very upset at anyone not seeing your point).

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I too have always seen no exchanges allowed written in all the $ shops i'v been in too! where are you OP?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

An exchange is when you swap out the same item, ie: you got the wrong size or colour and you exchange it for the correct size/colour item.

It's not exchanging say a packet of hair pins for a bag of pasta.

Your crying discrimination devalues the word.
    walkonby, Decaf, Lyssia510 and 6 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by daynabas View Post
    The other day, the manager at a Walmart wouldn't let me use two coupons that state "one per customer" on them. The only explanation I can think of for this is that he was discriminating against me for having blond hair since my friend is a brunette and was able to use those same coupons at another Walmart store! He obviously has a prejudice against blond hair.
    @daynabas , I have a Revlon FPC I can give you. Use it on the blonde shade of your choice and see what happens - social experiment a la SmartCanuck lol

After reading through this thread, all I can think is 'let it go'. The $2 (or so) exchange just isn't worth this type of aggravation. Just this week, I got rammed with a cart and an old lady sneakily got in front of me while I was in line at the coffee shop. She then proceeded to ask me about the weather and pretend like she was always ahead lol I wouldn't have minded, but she took 5min trying to figure out her order at the till *ugh*

Perhaps you should consider emailing head office about your experience. They may address it, or they may not, but it can serve as a outlet to release some of your frustration.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    Is it really a lie? Many many people have replied to this thread to say they've encountered the same policy at other dollar stores. That second manager might have made an exception. We don't know.

Now aren't you discriminating against him by making these really mean bolded accusations? Saying he has a sinister personality? You don't know him personally and now you're discriminating against him because he wouldn't allow it even though he was likely following store policy?

Yes you keep saying the second store manager allowed it. You don't know if the store was individually owned. Or if the first manager got in trouble hours earlier for allowing an unauthorized return.

Nobody knows someone's financial situation based on what they purchase and where they purchase it so how can you assume that he was doing this based on what you bought?

Sometimes we don't like store policies or we get unreasonable managers or we get managers at other stores who are super nice that make others look mean.

This doesn't mean that bullying is involved. It's just life.
    Please read my original post carefully before making any comments. "I bought some items that I wanted to exchange for pasta and he said oh no the price didn’t match, so he couldn’t give me the exchange. So, then I went to get items of the same price, then he said oh,no, you bought these too long ago, can’t give you exchange. I was like what?? He was like you were supposed to ask you can exchange within how many days!! I was so mad!!! I called another branch of the dollar store, and they said they don’t really have a time limit policy on exchanges. So, I was like why did he made it so hard for me, then I realized he discriminated me for choosing the pasta from there. I was a stranger to him."

The stores are not individually owned. I called all the stores in the city to find out, and they all told they are all the same and all other stores told me that they all allow exchanges as long as the prices are the same. They don't have a time limit on exchanges. You know you should read carefully before replying. I said clearly in my post that the first round of exchange, he didn't let me do the exchange because he said the prices were not the same, then I brough items to him that were the same price, and then he started picking on me about how long ago I bought the stuff? You see how the focus has changed from price to how long I have bought the stuff? He was just looking for excuses.
    Last edited by Freestuffrighthere; Mon, Mar 2nd, 2015 at 02:10 AM.
    dededi likes this.
    GET $5 OFF Herbal and Nutritional Items Coupon Code: XIF785 http://www.iherb.com Low shipping charges to Canada Save about 30-40% Off retail prices. 14,000+Brand-Name Herbal & Nutritional Items Pay No TAX on items!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by pippinelkhound View Post
    An exchange is when you swap out the same item, ie: you got the wrong size or colour and you exchange it for the correct size/colour item.

It's not exchanging say a packet of hair pins for a bag of pasta.

Your crying discrimination devalues the word.
    Please read my original post carefully "I bought some items that I wanted to exchange for pasta and he said oh no the price didn’t match, so he couldn’t give me the exchange. So, then I went to get items of the same price, then he said oh,no, you bought these too long ago, can’t give you exchange. I was like what?? He was like you were supposed to ask you can exchange within how many days!! I was so mad!!! I called another branch of the dollar store, and they said they don’t really have a time limit policy on exchanges. So, I was like why did he made it so hard for me, then I realized he discriminated me for choosing the pasta from there. I was a stranger to him."

I have not devalued the word discrimination. I am just sad that many people here don't really know the full mean of the words they hear everyday such as discrimination. Please read the following post to find out
    the full meaning of the word and how it applied to the situation. " The definition of the word "discrimination is action that denies social participation or human rights to categories of people based on prejudice. This includes treatment of an individual or group based on their actual or perceived membership in a certain group or social category, "in a way that is worse than the way people are usually treated"" . What I am saying is that he discriminated me for being poor (buying food from dollar store). Another way of saying it is he categories me into the poor group and treated me worst than what normally people would get treated in a situation like that. Normally, managers would follow the store policy which was they will gladly exchange any unopened items, and no refunds. I met the requirement for exchange, I had my receipt, my items were unopened, but he refused. He came up with the excuse that the store had a policy that exchanges must be within a week which was a lie because I checked with another branch of the store, they said I can do exchanges any time does matter when. I did do the exchange at the other branch. So, my conclusion is, the first store's manager didn't allow the exchange because he did want to based on some prejudice, and the only prejudice I can think of is that I chosed a bag of pasta for exchange. There is nothing else. I didn't know him."
    dededi likes this.
    GET $5 OFF Herbal and Nutritional Items Coupon Code: XIF785 http://www.iherb.com Low shipping charges to Canada Save about 30-40% Off retail prices. 14,000+Brand-Name Herbal & Nutritional Items Pay No TAX on items!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by MillieH View Post
    I think your original post was confusing as you didn't put the info about Dollar tree and their return policy, nor did you state why you think its you personally that they are refusing to honor it for. I've found many think they are being discriminated against and its just not the case.. However, I was at a store once where the people (african american) had to have their $20 bills scanned because the store had received counterfeit bills.. They didn't scan mine though.. so I know it exists, sadly.
    Thank you for your understanding that such does exist! OMG, what has happened to this society, half of the viewer here can't read, and half can't understand what they have read,and there are some just simply refuse see the truth. I am just sad !
    Last edited by Freestuffrighthere; Mon, Mar 2nd, 2015 at 02:12 AM.
    dededi likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I envy you.If this is the most upsetting thing that has happened to you lately,rejoice and count your blessings.The guy's a jerk,and his behavior made you feel discriminated against and upset you.You suffered no permanent harm except to your pride.You've vented and now it's time to let it go.Don't allow this incident to have any further impact on your life,it's not healthy to dwell on the petty hurts and insults life throws your way.You'll get an ulcer or something.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by daynabas View Post
    OMG, you didn't qualify as it clearly states"one per customer". come on!!! But I did qualify. The receipt said they will gald exchange with original pacakage, no refunds. He was just making up excuses saying there was a time limit. and when I called all other stores, they were all saying there is no time limit. what are you trying to say? I am being unreasonable?
    Last edited by Freestuffrighthere; Mon, Mar 2nd, 2015 at 04:37 AM.
    dededi likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

Life is too short to spend this much energy and emotion on one bad shopping experience. Life isn't always fair and I can guarantee you that the dollar store managers moved on quickly. sometimes the kindest thing we can do for ourselves is to turn the page and move on.
    So many coupons....so little time!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by secheltsaver View Post
    I envy you.If this is the most upsetting thing that has happened to you lately,rejoice and count your blessings.The guy's a jerk,and his behavior made you feel discriminated against and upset you.You suffered no permanent harm except to your pride.You've vented and now it's time to let it go.Don't allow this incident to have any further impact on your life,it's not healthy to dwell on the petty hurts and insults life throws your way.You'll get an ulcer or something.
    Thanks for the advise. Honestly this is easier said than done. That frustrated, irritated, upset, furious, burning, and sad feeling doesn't go away easily. I mean I am trying to ease it out, but it keeps coming back. I did put a complaint in, but it is a dollar store, I don't think they care about customer service too much.
    dededi likes this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information