User Tag List

Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree4701Likes

Thread: April Showers of Savings the sequel - 2015 Frugal Chatter

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Afternoon all,

I think going forward for the month I will stay off the laptop until NOON, what a difference it makes!!!

Chili in crockpot
    2 large apple loaves
    2 mini apple loaves
    dishes done and tidied up

Supger tonight is Tuscan chicken, using up the last spice pack, a pack off noodles and chicken breasts.

Question for you smart folks re: Giant Tiger Flyer

Has anyone ever purchased the ham in the flyer, thoughts???? salty, is it pressed meat????

Also have anyone purchased the chicken breast boxes recently? I purchased some boxes years ago and I'm wondering what peoples opinions are, I remember them being water logged or something, shrinking considerably in size and the texture not being like the fresh chicken breast or fresh chicken breast that are frozen- hope this makes sense, kinda of tough (just mind opinion).

Anyone have any input on the ham & chicken breasts?

thanks in advance
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I haven't bought their branded ham, but I've bought many in general. I've found that not getting a good name brand, or from a butcher, that it can have big pockets of fat/gristle? Yeah, they are not 'real' ham, and are always salty and watery, I find. It's worth it now to get a real ham when they are on for 4.39/kg here.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I don't love the 1 & 2 day sales, the other thing that now annoys me is the flyers don't line up. So if I want to PM at RCSS with Metro I need to remember they now expire on wednesday.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Question for you smart folks re: Giant Tiger Flyer

Has anyone ever purchased the ham in the flyer, thoughts???? salty, is it pressed meat????

Also have anyone purchased the chicken breast boxes recently? I purchased some boxes years ago and I'm wondering what peoples opinions are, I remember them being water logged or something, shrinking considerably in size and the texture not being like the fresh chicken breast or fresh chicken breast that are frozen- hope this makes sense, kinda of tough (just mind opinion).

Anyone have any input on the ham & chicken breasts?

thanks in advance
    My Mom has bought the GT ham. It's more like a cottage roll than a traditional ham.

I went over to NF this morning (needed missing ingredients for my baking) and ended up buying the ham that was on the front page of the flyer (that ends today) at $0.97/lb. For under $10, I got 4ish kg of really yummy ham (I bought it to make dinner for Lily dog and when I started cutting it up, realized it was smoked so ready to eat). So far, I've cut up a third of it (it was the smallest one in the store), and in addition to a very filling lunch & some set aside for dinner, I'll likely have enough for another 12 meals for me (ham with veggies, ham salad on bread, ham instead of bacon in my salad) plus 10ish meals for Lily dog (the not so nice bits that are a bit fatty, which she loves). Oh and some bits for treats for the brats (Lily dog has had a large handful of bits as has Quincy cat, who is actually full and walked away from the kitchen, which is unheard of!).

It is quite watery (I learned the hard way when unwrapping the plastic), but not too salty.

hth
    Last edited by Andit; Thu, Apr 2nd, 2015 at 02:26 PM.
    Natalka, Crochetlady, Ciel and 4 others like this.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

As for the flyers, I prefer the week long pricing. I can't always make it out to the 1, 2 or 3 day sales (I refuse to shop on the weekend, unless I absolutely have to). I don't mind the Fri-Sun sales, since I can sometimes make it out on Fri, but again, not always. And they don't always get their stock in on time.

The other thing is that my NF won't PM 1 or 2 day sales and by the time I add in transportation costs, the sale price isn't always worth it.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

@Andit I bought 2 of the hams last Fri when I went to No Frills. Lucky I did since I went back today to try and get 2 more (since there was a limit of 2) and they were sold out At least I got some of the cheese bars and the grapes (2 day sale only) and I had to pick up 2 prescriptions so it wasn't a wasted trip.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

im right with ya nancy

so far the house is cleaned, dinner is done, 4 other meals prepped for the busy weekend/week ahead. laundry gets started shortly.
    kids are working on their rooms. their 'easter gift' to me. im more than happy.

I really only like 'short' day deals if i can get to them. and esp. if i know about them. we used to get our flyers (for PM'ing) Friday night only to find out that there were Friday only deals..

only spotted a couple of deals this weekend.
    hope i don't forget about them.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-helped hubby dismantle part of our deckhard work -I have a few callus on my hands from pulling nails
    -went to shoppers and got 20 times the points added later when you spend over 50.00
    cooked chicken ,green beans ,mashed potatoes and corn for supper

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Glad to hear the ham was yummy. My family loves ham so I had picked up two for the freezer.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

1/2 a large Apple loaf and a small loaf are already gone , I guess everyone thought they were yummy .

Logan is working on moving things from his old room to his new room so that's awesome stuff.

Dh hung some things up on Logan's walls this am so it's more personalized and his own space .

I volunteered to make dessert as the inlaws invited us over for Easter Supper on Sunday so I will make a rhubarb cake, I should have enough to make a couple and will pop the others in the freezer so I have a small dessert stockpile as my guys love their sweets.

I am happy to report that I am now waiting for my PC chequing and savings account welcome package to arrive, fingers crossed it's rather quick as I would like to advise everyone so that everything starts in the new accounts in May but I am prepared to pay another month if I need to as I don't want to close my account before I am certain everything is switched over and avoid unwanted fees or monies being deposited in the old account vs. the new account.

I have another question (blush)

If you have a scene card for movies, etc, that is not linked to Scotiabank itself, what I mean is when I close my accounts with Scotiabank will I lose our scene points as our scene card is linked with Scotiabank chequing account to earn points, I'm guessing that I won't lose my scene points but wanted some feedback.

Dh plans to redeem for 4 free movies this month anyways.

Also can you redeem your points for snacks, concession stand or is it just movies? thanks in advance

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Jasperandchar, would you please share your apple loaf recipe?
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

@jasperandchar

-There are a lot of different things you can redeem Scene points for... https://www.scene.ca/programredeem.aspx?lan=en

-Concessions is one of them! (I think it is a special combo).

-I am not sure about your Scotiabank question, but it sounds to me like points are automatically applied to your Scene account, so once they are there they wouldn't be lost, but no new bonuses would accrue. If there is a number on the back of your card, I would call and ask. DH keeps our Scene card in his wallet or I would check for you.
    Last edited by Granger; Thu, Apr 2nd, 2015 at 05:48 PM.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

You can still use and earn scene points without the scotia connection. You just won't earn very fast.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Granger View Post
    @jasperandchar

-There are a lot of different things you can redeem Scene points for... https://www.scene.ca/programredeem.aspx?lan=en

-Concessions is one of them! (I think it is a special combo).

-I am not sure about your Scotiabank question, but it sounds to me like points are automatically applied to your Scene account, so once they are there they wouldn't be lost, but no new bonuses would accrue. If there is a number on the back of your card, I would call and ask. DH keeps our Scene card in his wallet or I would check for you.
    Granger thanks so very much

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by terry2144 View Post
    You can still use and earn scene points without the scotia connection. You just won't earn very fast.
    thanks @terry2144

Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread Information