User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: No more fed. tax on feminine hygiene products July 1

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Conservatives remove federal tax on feminine hygiene products as of July 1

The House of Commons unanimously adopted an NDP-sponsored motion calling for the change earlier this month — a motion that passed after women in the Conservative caucus threatened to boycott the vote if their party didn’t approve.
    Opponents of the tax have long decried it as being entirely discriminatory, as it is only paid by women, and on an essential product, while other goods deemed as luxuries escape the levy altogether.

After the motion passed, the government said they would make the change in a future budget bill, but on Thursday a notice appeared from Finance Canada that the tax would indeed disappear on July 1.

The Finance Department notice says the tax will no longer apply to “a supply of a product that is marketed exclusively for feminine hygiene purposes and is a sanitary napkin, tampon, sanitary belt, menstrual cup or other similar product.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/conservatives-remove-federal-tax-on-feminine-hygiene-products-as-of-july-1/article24667909/

-
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by Natalka; Thu, May 28th, 2015 at 06:13 PM.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Don't know if it's a coincidence, but Happy Global Menstrual Hygiene Day!

http://menstrualhygieneday.org/

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Personally, I think this is just a PR opportunity, looks good on them, but nothing more. Really, how much do most women spend on taxes on these products? I think about $1 a month is a fairly high estimate, so an average woman of childbearing age will save maybe $12 a year. Those who coupon, the amount will be way less. And for those of us who use a reusable product like a Diva Cup (like me), it's maybe .50 a year in savings.
    Ciel and ticul like this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    Personally, I think this is just a PR opportunity, looks good on them, but nothing more. Really, how much do most women spend on taxes on these products? I think about $1 a month is a fairly high estimate, so an average woman of childbearing age will save maybe $12 a year. Those who coupon, the amount will be way less. And for those of us who use a reusable product like a Diva Cup (like me), it's maybe .50 a year in savings.
    $12 a year x 35 years* is a reasonable amount of money to save IMHO...Especialy s I'm buying supplies for my daughters

* guesstimate based on menarche at 12 and menopause at 50 and allowing for several pregnancies .

But it's more about the principle of the matter as it's a tax on being female though the use of a Diva/moon cup or reusable pads can keep the initial outlay down.
    Ciel, Midnightly, walkonby and 8 others like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    $12 a year x 35 years* is a reasonable amount of money to save IMHO...Especialy s I'm buying supplies for my daughters

* guesstimate based on menarche at 12 and menopause at 50 and allowing for several pregnancies .

But it's more about the principle of the matter as it's a tax on being female though the use of a Diva/moon cup or reusable pads can keep the initial outlay down.
    OK, I getcha on that. Over years, that does add up.

But in reality, this is tax dollars, and what's a small amount per year per person adds up to a lot. If there's, I don't know I'll make up a number, $1 million less in revenue to government coffers, what gets cut to cover it? Your MLA or MP is not taking a pay cut to cover this, it's a service to the public that will take the hit. Wrong? Sure it is, but reality, any time a tax cut happens, someone other area pays for it, not politicians. For the record, civil servants don't get a pay increase over this either.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Pretty random, but I'm happy with it. Wonder if other toiletries will follow suit down the road ex men razors being more expensive than women's
    Natalka, Ciel, ticul and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

i do think it's the principle of the thing.. as a woman i have to buy this.. often over priced... product because i NEED it not because i want it.. i cannot go without it.. it's not something i enjoy having... then to be taxed ontop of it is like a kick in the butt when your already dealing with cramps and feeling bleh
    Natalka, Ciel, seylz_gurl and 6 others like this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Thank you Natalka for the info. ..................................
    Natalka and Ciel like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightly View Post
    i do think it's the principle of the thing.. as a woman i have to buy this.. often over priced... product because i NEED it not because i want it.. i cannot go without it.. it's not something i enjoy having... then to be taxed ontop of it is like a kick in the butt when your already dealing with cramps and feeling bleh
    Most of the argument was that it was discriminatory. It essentially taxes you for having a female reproductive system. Many countered this with that toilet paper should not be taxed either because it is not a luxury item, yet both sexes use it (although women probably use more of it), that is the difference.
    Natalka, Ciel, walkonby and 1 others like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

About time!
    Natalka, Ciel and walkonby like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

three cheers for this, it is the principal of the thing, not really about the saved $$ for us here.

babies teach us acceptance

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Now if only they could find a way to lower the price of them all together - To dream, right! Women should really be making MORE than men haha
    Danielle | livedlearnedblogged.com

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Makes sense to remove it on toilet paper too..:/
    Ciel and Shirnette like this.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by A007 View Post
    Makes sense to remove it on toilet paper too..:/
    ahh but toilet paper is an equal opportunity tax.. both men and woman use it.. where the tampon tax (all feminine hygiene products) was strictly a tax on a woman's only product
    Ciel and trishka like this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Now only if they could remove some redundancies in the political scene, for sure we would see a huge reduction in other taxes.
    Ciel and Shirnette like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information