User Tag List

Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree4723Likes

Thread: June 2015 Frugal Chatter

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Oh Nancy, I am so sorry about your flour and bread and baking being ruined. Frustrating, but I think we have all been there with mice at one point. I hate them.
    June goals are pretty much the same as usual, keep decluttering and organizing and keeping it frugal for household items and meals. We just got our estimate to replace upstairs windows and renovate our master bathroom. Embarrassing but we haven't used the tub in there for 3 years, it is marble and it cracked causing a leak into the family room below , we had the ceiling repaired but we have just been using the main bathroom and have been putting off the en-suite knowing it would be expensive.We will be selling and building a smaller home in the next four years so it is time to get this house ready to sell. We have been here 23 years so a lot as accumulated. Wow renos are expensive, 9700.00 to finish 8 windows and 16,000 to gut the bathroom and redo...I feel sick but it has to be done. Sometimes I envy people that rent, way less to worry about.
    Andit, Angela273, Ciel and 5 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Yes renos are expensive and I have a bathroom I am putting off as well. I plan to possibly sell in 3 years once youngest is in highschool so doing stuff along the way with that in mind. Thank gosh I have an amazing handy man in my life that will get the right info and try anything (almost) He layed the tile down for entrance/bathroom for the 1st time and did an amazing job. I'm scared to think what it would have cost to pay someone and maybe not have the best job done (which I have heard horror stories about!!!) So happy he did it. And he feels confident to do the kitchen next ))) Will still cost $ to get the grout etc but the worst is paid for (tiles bought on a super deal last year and free labour )

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I am trying to give my room/closet a good clean out this week (again!!) Cleaned off a counter that collects crap yesterday. Moved one empty Rubbermaid bin to the selling room. Have a full bin to move in there (why did I keep it in my room- I don't know.) Tomorrow evening I will move all the stuff on the ground onto my bed and deal with it. then go through each rack of clothing and honestly decide what to keep or toss. Then another night will attempt 3 large shelves (pull all off and decide what stays or goes. Then the last night will tackle the 3 high shelves. Will post for sale as I decide what I am getting rid of
    Andit, avoncallingu, Ciel and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    June Goals- Get the few loose ends done! Touch up patch jobs with paint! Organize "stuff for sale room" Continue cleaning/organizing basement storage room.
    We need to do some outdoor patch and paint. If only the weather would cooperate so we have a few days that are not rainy or frosty. Maybe it will have to wait until July.
    Andit, avoncallingu, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

No more fees for Bell/Telus/Rogers mailed bills

Maybe I am slow to get the news. I read today, that last year, they got rid of fees when you get a printed bill from your telecommunications provider. It was a $2 fee I think. If people have internet at home, it’s no problem. But some people don’t. And some people remember better when they get the paper bill in their mail.
    I just called Bell and the really nice lady said that we will get both an e-mail notification as usual and a paper bill in the mal as well. For us, the paper bill works as a psychological reminder of how much we use in utilities and telecommunications. Then we can look at ways of reducing the bill or finding cheaper options.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

We keep 95% of our food in sealed plastic bins in a pantry or in the fridge. Our items that get consumed quickly can be placed on table (fruit) or on top of fridge (muffins/tomatoes) or pantry cupboard (cereal/crackers). This is to prevent mice. We have only had one so far in the year we have been in the home and s/he is no longer with us. The mouse we had didn't seem to want to come out into an open, high spot for food. Sometimes those items end up in Tupperware anyway though!

Why can't frost kill weeds? Just saying.
    Andit, avoncallingu, Ciel and 2 others like this.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Last edited by jasperandchar; Mon, Jun 1st, 2015 at 05:10 PM.
    Andit likes this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@thriftygranny I feel your pain, home renos are so very expensive, just imagine how wonderful it will be/look when it's all said and done. Are there any rebates/grants for window replacements in your area?
    Last edited by jasperandchar; Mon, Jun 1st, 2015 at 05:09 PM.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    No more fees for Bell/Telus/Rogers mailed bills

Maybe I am slow to get the news. I read today, that last year, they got rid of fees when you get a printed bill from your telecommunications provider. It was a $2 fee I think. If people have internet at home, it’s no problem. But some people don’t. And some people remember better when they get the paper bill in their mail.
    I just called Bell and the really nice lady said that we will get both an e-mail notification as usual and a paper bill in the mal as well. For us, the paper bill works as a psychological reminder of how much we use in utilities and telecommunications. Then we can look at ways of reducing the bill or finding cheaper options.
    @Shwa Girl is that for landline phones or cell phone only?

I don't have a cell so wondering if this is for landlines, thanks

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@Frugalbigmama you exhaust me, do you drink red bull on the way home or something (lol).

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

heh guys. well amazing how prayers can work.. thanks for any sent..
    late yesterdays tests show no spine fractures.. yay!
    spent the morning/a little afternoon with dad. great visit. lots of info passed on by staff.
    for now they are focusing on strength building, possible test in near future to detect cause of health issue.

im just so relieved.

you guys are so busy with your budgets and selling stuff..
    for me i find its easier to bag and donate..
    however due to a large bill that will be due next year, maybe i should reconsider and start going through stuff. ever dollar counts right?

its just the arranging times/dates etc to have buyers meet.
    it was cooler today. would have been a good one for baking more banana muffins if i could find the frozen bananas.. did one of you ladies see them anywhere LOL??

well until i get a moment to 'step back in here'..
    take care..
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@MrsSunshine great news, I figure if someone wants something they will travel or make arrangements for meetups/drop off, it really does add up BUT great that you are donating that also makes a difference
    Andit, avoncallingu, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-well watched "ashlyn" for an hour today here wil son took hubby for more wood-half done the deck -yeah
    -my brother called needs to go to appt Thursday(cardiologist ) (he had tests last week ) and found out he has 90% blockage -he has been told he will need a double bypass(so prayers for him ladies)I think he is 68 or 69 this year

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    @Shwa Girl is that for landline phones or cell phone only?

I don't have a cell so wondering if this is for landlines, thanks
    We use to have a bill mailed for our land line, internet and television, before they wanted to charge.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@coupon girl prayers for your brother may all go well and I'm sure he will feel so much better after the blockage is removed

Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information