User Tag List

Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
Like Tree4723Likes

Thread: June 2015 Frugal Chatter

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    We made the difficult decision to post an advertisement on a busy local garage sale Facebook page in an attempt to find a good new home for one of our cats. He is a good animal, but would do better with older children. Today I was shocked and dismayed to get two nasty posts in reply to my advertisement.

"I had a 2 year old and newborn twins and never felt the need to get rid of other family members to make room! Just more to love"
    This was promptly followed by another member.
    "Maby if her twins don't get along she will try to get rid of one to poor excuse for getting rid of your pet"

My husband adopted this cat 7yrs ago. There is a chance that we might still keep the cat, but our son is over 2.5yrs old and just got scratched in the face beside his eye on the weekend. We also know that our cats will not be getting the attention that they deserve once the twins arrive. Some people can be so nasty. These people brought me to tears.
    Just ignore the idiots. Or pity them. They may be human, but clearly they are not humane.

How does your LO feel about the kitty? Is he now scared of him? When I was about that age, my Grandmother's very large German Shepherd knocked me down and tried to play with me the way only a large breed puppy can. Didn't phase me one bit, but that might have had something to do with no one making a big deal of it. Since I only spent my summers there and didn't go back til I was 5ish, the dog forgot about our happy times and attacked me (he slipped his leash & told me in no uncertain terms that I did not belong - he grabbed my arm & was leading me off the property). Within 12 hours, I was sitting on the back porch with a giant head in my lap (Alex was 3 times my size).

Only you know what's best for your family. We are all here to support you in your decision (we've gotten to know you through your posts, your character shines through your words).

Have you tried checking with friends and relatives? That might be a better avenue. I had a lot of issues when I was looking for a dog (pre Lily dog). Every pup needing a home had strings attached. One individual's idea of a "reasonable adoption fee" was nearly $1K. For an older mutt. Another tried to initiate a bidding war with those interested in his 'baby'. Guessing this has to do with the high concentration of crackpots in Toronto (I swear they all drink the crazy juice and move here).

Sorry you have to deal with this. (hugs)

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Didn't bring my lunch to work today but was a good girl and went home and made a quick grilled cheese on rye. And watched Till debt do us part. Then right back to work quick since I have to leave early today

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

@Angela273: Sorry to hear people are making quick judgements on you without knowing your situation. I had that happen recently and it's not very nice. I find that people seem to be a lot worse over the internet because they can hide behind their usernames. Obviously they don't know you or else they wouldn't be saying such things.

@Andit: I haven't been able to get in touch with my SIL about the tapioca pudding recipe, but I made a first attempt myself. I think it was a failure, but DH and LO gobbled it up and are asking for more. Did you still want the recipe? It was just an experimental attempt and I didn't add the vanilla bean and taro like you're supposed to. Somehow, I still got rave reviews and it's pretty simple.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

SO i thought i'd pop in and say hi.
    been sick the last couple with a cold. going to have to bust my butt to get better and FAST.
    I need a few prayers. Dad's going in Monday for major surgery. only way to remove the stone thats lodged.

Why do i keep getting tested.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@Angela273 sorry to hear about the awful remarks about your posting. @Andit welcome home @MrsSunshine prayers for your father and hope all goes well
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

I used vistaprint and ordered a banner sign for my yard. Can't wait to get it I think it will be money well spent considering how much it costs to advertise in the newspaper...

I also changed up what area I posted my ad on kijiji in (I was in the Kitchener one but switched to Guelph - I'm an hour from either city so maybe I'd have more luck with Guelph since its the same county). I also added my ad to a different FB mom swap board in hopes to reach some different families.

I have to do something to get my name out there. I want to be home for my kids and don't want to close my daycare until my youngest is older.
    Last edited by bobbiegirl2010; Thu, Jun 4th, 2015 at 04:58 PM.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    My husband adopted this cat 7yrs ago. There is a chance that we might still keep the cat, but our son is over 2.5yrs old and just got scratched in the face beside his eye on the weekend. We also know that our cats will not be getting the attention that they deserve once the twins arrive. Some people can be so nasty. These people brought me to tears.
    Ignore haters. These strangers do not know you, your family situation, how much you thought about this before making the decision. They hide behind anonymity of the World Wide Web and post freely what they know nothing about. Sheeeh!

Ignore them.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Andit: welcome back, sound delish. I love cruising.
    Friday is a PD day just for our youngest, this is when I lve my job. I can work at home so that way he can have a friend over with no worries.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

took my brother to his appt today -I didnt ask him what the doctor said and respected that maybe he wanted to talk to his wife first
    -then went to giant tiger on the way home -got cheap toilet per 1.97 after cpn and snapsaves oh and fruit of the loom udies for me 6 or 7 pk for 10.00-1.00 cp= 9.00
    -oh and a puzzle 4.00 another treat for me

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiegirl2010 View Post
    I need help trying to come up with new ways to advertise my daycare business. I have a contract with the county to provide childcare for subsidy clients but they currently do not have any families in my area looking for care (and I am the only licensed provider in my town). If I have vacant spots then I am free to advertise and look for families privately.

So I have been advertising for 2 months now with no luck I have an ad on kijiji, on 2 different local FB mom swap pages, the local Early Years Centre and at the local grocery store bulletin board. (the school and local county run daycare centre do not give out names and phone numbers of childcare providers). So I am at a loss of what else I can do to get my name out. I am thinking maybe I should make up a banner sign for my yard....

I have had a home daycare for 4 years and I always have difficulty filling daycare spots. There are a lot of daycare providers in this small town so the competition is high. I'm also "new to town" (lived here 5 years - not my whole life) so I'm not as well known as other providers.

Does anyone else have any ideas??!!

PS: I do not advertise my rates (my ad just says "reasonable rates".) Instead my ad focuses on what services I provide. Families that are interested can contact me for my rates. IMO publishing your rates just gives other providers opportunity to undercut you.
    How about having an "Open House" day or two - it could be stressful but maybe you could try a board in front of your house like they use for home sales?

How about t-shirts for you - you could order one from Vista very reasonably. How about making sure that the Welcome Wagon (if you have one) has a flyer or business card to provide to new moms. You could send "Congratulations cards" to new moms who advertise their baby's birth in the newspaper - and slip in a business card.

I don't know if you have time to create a website?

Just ideas that popped into my head. - Good luck!
    Andit, Crochetlady, Ciel and 6 others like this.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by avoncallingu View Post
    How about having an "Open House" day or two - it could be stressful but maybe you could try a board in front of your house like they use for home sales?

How about t-shirts for you - you could order one from Vista very reasonably. How about making sure that the Welcome Wagon (if you have one) has a flyer or business card to provide to new moms. You could send "Congratulations cards" to new moms who advertise their baby's birth in the newspaper - and slip in a business card.

I don't know if you have time to create a website?

Just ideas that popped into my head. - Good luck!
    avoncallingu, good idea about Welcome Wagon
    WW would advertise local services for new families moving into the area

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    SO i thought i'd pop in and say hi.
    been sick the last couple with a cold. going to have to bust my butt to get better and FAST.
    I need a few prayers. Dad's going in Monday for major surgery. only way to remove the stone thats lodged.

Why do i keep getting tested.
    Hoping you get better quickly!

Prayers for your dad, and that things will be much better for him once surgery is done.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Today, I'm going to try get some things in order around the house before things get hot towards the end of the weekend and into next week - when it crawls close to 30 and over, I can't do a thing except be in front of a fan, lol!

-maybe TMI - I've had a tough time with my period - had it last week, thought it was over, but it came back more furious for this past week and I'm just a mess hormonally and pain-wise. Hopefully it will stop soon!

Got a frugal oil change yesterday, son did it at his shop with my husband - it's just amazing to get that 'free' labour!
    Milan will come over tomorrow and help with yard work - we have this teeny house and a huge lot which we don't use for anything - yes, I know it's such a waste, we sure would have loved it a decade or more back!

Brag: Milan got notification yesterday that he's qualified for his third year apprentice electrician - so awesome! Now he'll have to wait to see when he can get to school for the next level - it probably won't be for a while (a year?) because there are limited spots and only one location it's done - thankfully, it's here in our city!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

mrs .sunshine prayers for your dad

nat-awesome news about your son -hope you feel better in a bit -l do what you can my dear mother always said "people or friends come to see you not your house"

todays stay in and clean day-did one load ,one bathroom clean already
    -finished a hard xmas puzzle its very dark

this is my list for today
    -cut back lawn
    -clean other 2 bathrooms
    -wash floors
    -vaccum
    -don't have to cook supper as hubby is on an later run -may get in at 5.00 or 6.00

-lets see what I get done today -maytake a bit of time to read -I have margeret trudeau's biography book from the libarary
    -just finished "still alice" nice read that was -cant imagine alzeheimers at age 50

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

TGIF!!! Hope everyone has a great day. I am stuck at work but that is ok A quiet night tonight because I am picking up my BFF at 7:15 am to go to our annual garage sale in a town 20 mins away. Will be a fun morning I have been saving my change for the past 2 weeks and am ready to splurge The youngest had a sleepover last night since they have no school tonight. Lets just say they will be very tired today lol

Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread Information