Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree178Likes

Thread: Expanding my Savings Horizons - Thank You

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by venkatkolla View Post
    what is flypp app?
    Hello...

like ivanasavalot ( I assume Ivana ) Said.... Flypp (spelled Fl i pp) is the first flyer price find app i was recommended by a brand new coworker (Naomi if your out there.. You Rock Woman). For whatever reason if you use the correct spelling, the name get's deleted from the post... So I can only assume it's a competing product the affiliates of this Website don't want us to use?

I'm fine to use a different app, but thus far it's the only one I used.. and I found it really easy and quick to use. So I don't see any point in changing just yet. Unless of course someone can point out an app that automatically matches all available Cash back promotions from all canadian cash back apps, to all flyer sales so we can instantly determine the mega awsome deals without checking each app manually, one after one? (maybe such a thing is out there? if so please let me know secretly. lol)

*wave*

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by amira84 View Post
    I think it's a better idea to teach you these things here because then a lot of people will be able to share their wisdom with you and others and we'll all learn from one another.

I still haven't used this app. I am in BC so i don't know if it works in BC or not.

And i agree with coupongirl about coupon trades on SC. You should join SC coupon trading thread too and see which type of coupons are rolling in Canada right now.
    (And BTW those toppings on your frozen pizzas are not considered veggies. Stop dreaming poobah! )
    Lol..

1. Can't say thanks enough for all your help, and others.
    2. I'm pretty sure Flypp works anywhere in Canada.
    3. I'm completely coupon less, but I got a few good idea's... one I'll be checking out soon. However I live up in Sudbury, I think the pickings locally may be sliim. (and stores slimer).
    4. Hey now... those are making my kids and wife fat. Not me! lol. i prefer aspergus or brussel sprouts with a Single chicken leg, or 5 ounce steak etc.. *unless I fall of the wagon, then look out*.

Quote Originally Posted by jasper23 View Post
    I love checkout51, snap & zweet... but how did you get those pizzas so cheap at shoppers? How do their points work.. feel like I should start shopping there...
    Well this how it all went down...

I had a coupon for 22000 points when I spent 100 dollars.. Not my favorite but It was the best I could do at the time.... Coupled with Preloading gift cards with a shoppers mastercard and a couple personallized offers including a 4000 point bonus for birthday... i made a significant amount of points on my total purchase. (not as much as I had in the past, pre-digital unfortunately... )

So for simplicity sakes...

$100 dollars loaded on a gift card with a Optimum Mastercard equalls 100 x (10+15) = 2500
    Base points on actually spending the gift card 100 x 10 = 1000
    Coupon 22000 points / 100 = 22000
    birthday points = 4000
    Finish Gel Packs = 3500
    Bread = 500

So approximately 33500 points on about 105 bucks spents... of which the pizza's cost 20 bucks.

33500 / $105 * $20 = 6380 points

My average redemption up to recently was 200 dollars (currently slightly under, but I'll get it back up there by christmas...)

$200 / 95000 points x 6380 points = $13.43 cash back in shoppers points.

$13.43 + $6.00 cash back from Snap = $19.43 back in my pocket for 20 bucks worth of pizza's (pizza's which regular sell would be even much higher then that.)

Wow... I really have a motor mouth don't I?

Anyway thank guys... I'll have to try that Reebee next and keep on putting my savings hat on. Oh and to those mentioning Lablaws, I'm up in Sudbury. No Lablaws here. Lots of independant's, 1 Canadian superstore, Metro, basics, Walmart and the smallest crappiest Foodland ever (there yesterday). i'm going to stop talking now.
    Last edited by Poobah; Sat, May 30th, 2015 at 12:36 PM.
    coupon girl, Cata, amira84 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Poobah View Post
    But thank you... My wife loves at least one APP.. and it's called Facebook. God i love her, but she's so wrapped up in Facebook now, I hardly am allowed to talk to her without getting the evil eye for the "disturbance".
    Facebook?! Awesome. Coupons are delivered by Facebook likes. We'll get her to the SC side eventually
    amira84 and toronto166 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

I would recommend getting the local paper and read posts to see where people are getting their coupons from. If you live in an apartment you can sometimes get extras of the coupon flyers (red plum, smart source etc.) from the papers left unclaimed or from neighbours who don't want their coupons.

I recommend getting a printer that you can get ink for cheaply. I have an HP and I have the setting as fast draft and use the black only as often as I can. It saves on ink.

If you plan on stocking up you also may want an area where you can store the extra items so that they can be accessed when you want them. many items have best before dates on them. Some people are more picky about using things before the dates than others. Things like toothpaste and deodorants have dates on them but I have used them past their dates. I even asked my dentist about the toothpaste and he said it was fine to use after the best before dates had passed.

I have quite a stock pile of items like cleaning supplies, toiletries and paper products that I am not shopping for them much any more unless the items are basically free or better. The deals for food are harder to find and often are from price matching and trying different brands that are on sale rather than using coupons etc.

I personally dread walmart shopping so I a willing to spend a few cents more and buy my items elsewhere.

One of my favourite 'new' stores is Almost perfect. I believe there is one in Toronto. They have some great deals on items that are close to date, less than perfect or stock over runs. Some of the small stores also have some very good deals on items to compete with the big retailers and are worth checking out.
    Swagbucks- http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mom2teens

Carrot Rewards Promo Code: kerryj6770

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

LOOOOOVE me Apps!

Soo, now that you've move onto apps an price matching - allow me to blow your money-saving mind with 2 additional concepts:

rebates and buying things you do not want/need - both should be done to bring you money/stretch your dollar.

So - for rebates, I buy all sorts of crap (goes straight to co-workers) because the $ value bulks my total to get a spend threshold at Shoppers (points), Safeway (Airmiles) or Save on Foods (More Rewards) which all translate into money for ME. Things I don't want/need - same idea if coupons/apps/points combos mean I make money a it.

So - example:

SDM this Saturday 20X for $50- I Don't WANT to spend $50!

I bought:

Huggies Diapers $12.99 - $3 coupon + 3000 printable VIB point coupon
    Huggies Wipes $2.99 - $0.75coupon + 2000 VIB coupon - for the combo got $4 back from SNAP!
    Pampers Easy Ups $10.99 - $2 coupon (combo with wipes) + 3000 VIB - $3 back from C51
    Pampers Wipes $2.99 + 2000 VIB
    Durex Condoms $11 (rebate) + 10X points
    Aveeno shampoo $7.99 -$2 coupon + 1000 in store + 1500 personalized
    Miss Vickies $1.49

I spent $46.01 at the register - got back my app rebates ($7) so now I'm out $39.01 - mail of the Durex and I'll be out $28.

However my points earned was just over 23500 - I only Mega redeem so basically $47 points for a $28 spend.

I kept the chips and shampoo entered the Pampers/Huggies points to gain swag and then donate them (kids long out of diapers!)

I almost aways use a rebate item at Safeway to hit the AM promos!

Have fun, couponing is a game of wits!

I

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

A lot of the coupons can also be found right in store especially at shoppers. They will have them right in front of the products and if you shop at RCSS, they have a board dedicate just for coupons at the front door. Also while shopping, keep an eye out for peelies and hang tags. Peelies are coupons that are stick onto the product, and hang tag, coupons hanging on the product.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

@Poobah . About your wife not into using coupons and not interested in how you can stretch your dollars using coupons, rebates and loyalty programs......

You are not alone in this poobah. From time to time you will see some rants from SC members about their spouses giving them the same "protocol" as your wife does to you when it comes to saving money. A lot of us go through this but you have to be persistent in your new hobby. You will see, sooner or later, your wife will start admiring you saving money on these expensive staples.

A lot of SC members (including me) have mentioned that our spouses get embarrassed when we take out our coupons or competitor's flyer to pm in the grocery stores, but you have to choose if you want to see saving money as an embarrassing thing or paying crazily inflated prices for everything and keep whining that you don't have enough money.

It will take time but you will see one day your wife asking you if you have a coupon for this item, or if there is any discounts in that store etc. We have already experienced this cycle of coupon life, and I am telling you my own experiences. Lol

And i am very impressed (and a little jealous) that you have learnt a lot in such a short time. Good job!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

kerrylj... Oh gosh, I sure hope I don't end up with a stockpile. I do live in a large townhouse with 3 floors, 5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, laundry room, kitchen, living room, theatre room, dining room... and yes one large storage room. I suppose I can clear house in the storage room and and put that project under consideration. But for now, I'm honestly pretty satisfied with just a few extra items.... however after reading BCcheapMom I can see how on occasion things such as free toilet tissue and Free Paper towels could happen.... hmmm anyway. lol

Damn.... was going to say more. But Gota run. lol
    Ivanasavalot and amira84 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

@Poobah re: wife not on board with couponing
    Try keeping a spreadsheet of the essential items you purchase - have a regular price column and then a column with sales/coupons/rebate apps etc. This will really show the huge difference in savings. Tally it all up at the end of the month (or better yet, at the end of the year!) to see how much it all adds up to
    Maybe a visual will help!
    Or...speak her language, eg. 1 year of couponing = 2 pairs of Louboutins + 1 family trip to Cancun lol
    TooCouponCrazy and amira84 like this.

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

It is shocking to find you Poobah anywhere other than the shoppers drug mart bragging about optimum deals, I thought for a second I clicked on the wrong section.
    TooCouponCrazy and amira84 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

The advantage of a stockpile is that you can shop when the items are on sale/have coupons and have enough to last until the next good sale. The sale rotation can be 3-4 months between a good price on some stuff.

There is nothing that beats finishing an item and being able to go into the storage section and be able to pull out the next item right away that cost far less than if you had to go and get the item when you run out.

These day I shop less and target the items I can use and can wait for a good price vs buying the items I need right now. I can make meals with what I have on hand and I save time and money.

With things like dishwasher tabs and such I have not paid for the items in years because I have all the ones I got free with various rebates. The savings go towards other things. It all adds up.

Keep track of the savings...it will shock you.

Quote Originally Posted by Poobah View Post
    kerrylj... Oh gosh, I sure hope I don't end up with a stockpile. I do live in a large townhouse with 3 floors, 5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, laundry room, kitchen, living room, theatre room, dining room... and yes one large storage room. I suppose I can clear house in the storage room and and put that project under consideration. But for now, I'm honestly pretty satisfied with just a few extra items.... however after reading BCcheapMom I can see how on occasion things such as free toilet tissue and Free Paper towels could happen.... hmmm anyway. lol

Damn.... was going to say more. But Gota run. lol
    coupon girl and BCcheapMom like this.
    Swagbucks- http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mom2teens

Carrot Rewards Promo Code: kerryj6770

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Poobah, I hope you're able to convince your wife to coupon!! There were coupons when my kids were little, but nothing like today, no optimum points, I would have made a killing on diapers and formula..I was still able to stay home with my kids for 10 years, pay off my mortgage when I was 40 ( one of my goals), take trips every year with the family, Jamaca, Punta Cana, riviera maya,( went mostly off peak times and saved a bundle) Maine. Bought a trailer, took the kids camping all summer, they still talk about their great camping trips!! Helped put 3 children through university, was laid off of work a few years ago and decided to take a semi early retirement at "50"!! If this doesn't convince your wife to coupon, be frugal, use discounts, ask for discounts, bargain( it's easier than you think)..garage sales..I could go on and on about the advantages of never paying full price, never paying retail etc..stock piling!! But the best thing is my children are doing it now too, not like their crazy Mom, but it's a great start!!
    coupon girl and WINNIPEGZELDA like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information