User Tag List

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree626Likes

Thread: What's in your Herb / Vegetable garden?

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

With much hard work, I got an area cleared for my raspberries. There was an old tree that had been cut down some time ago and the roots were still everywhere, so I spent a very dirty weekend digging and pulling them up. I also had enough room to plant a bunch of tomatoes and cucumber plants. As well I seeded a bunch of lettuce in containers so I should be knee deep in salad in a few months In my other garden I put in peas, beans, broccoli, zucchini, dill, and more tomatoes. Also planted some sweet pea seeds, calendula, and violas. I like putting flowers in with the veggies, it makes the garden look pretty.
    Join Beyond the Rack here and get a $10 credit!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

What kinds of flowers do you plant in with your vegetables? I put marigolds, nasturtiums, and pansies in the veggie garden yesterday, but would like some other ideas!

By the way, has anyone here grown leeks using "jigs" or collars? I read about it in the winter and am trying it for the first time this summer.
    It is supposed to ensure a cleaner leek when harvested, and produces leeks with longer blanched areas. I'm looking forward to seeing how they do!

Name:  May Garden 002.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  639.1 KB

Last edited by TrueNorthTreasures; Mon, May 25th, 2015 at 07:00 PM.
    ROMEO, Ciel, kidsteph and 2 others like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

I have broccoli, brussels sprouts and basil starting to sprout in my little greenhouse Still waiting on the squashes, zucchini, cucumbers and melons but I think they take longer to germinate...

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Mesclun and green leaf lettuce seeds were directly sown last week. Am trying to remember to give the seeds water every 2 or 3 days but I was hoping Mother Nature would rain substantially on Tues or Wed-big zero in the water dept.

Going to have to pull some more green plants that are not seedlings to avoid their overtaking any emerging seeds. Do I need to water canteloupe seeds more often?
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

@Ceil This is my first time growing Canteloupe (well first time growing anything lol) but I'm pretty sure they just need the same amount of water as seedlings as other seedlings. Its once the plants have fruit that they need LOTS of water.
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I have a couple more spots for herbs in my little stacking pots, think I'm going to plant a couple more rosemary, and maybe a couple more thyme. I like that herb, and my Instant Pot instructions seems to suggest that using a whole sprig of fresh herbs works better for this when you're cooking a roast, stew, etc. (pictures show a big sprig tied to your roast in it). So I think I'll use a lot of those!

Although I only planted them recently they seem to be doing very well, I just trimmed off a sprig of rosemary, some thyme and a few chives to put on some chicken with garlic, olive oil and pepper. I've put them in a Foodsaver container to marinate awhile, then I'm going to brown them in my Instant Pot and pressure cook, see how well that works out!
    Ciel, bobbiegirl2010 and redhdlois like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

How is everyone's gardens coming along?

We harvested all of our radishes yesterday along with some green onions and baby greens (thinned out romaine and red lettuce and some spinach and mesculin mix that was ready). Made a nice salad for the 3 of us (just added a bit of grocery store romaine to bulk it up a bit).

Radishes did not do too well. Mostly all too small or didn't grow any root. They were planted 28 days ago and were supposed to be ready for harvest at 25 days. I don't think I thinned them enough or watered them enough (it was really dry the week we planted the seeds) Oh well... I'll try planting more radishes between my broccoli and brussels sprouts. I heard that they are good for keeping bugs from eating your other plants.

Also finally planted my tomato plants and pepper plants and my one little small cilantro seedling. I was afraid to plant them last wknd because it got very cold overnight last Sat.

My other seedlings are still growing in my greenhouse: pumpkins, cucumbers, zucchini, winter squash (hubbard, acorn and butternut), canteloupe, brussels sprouts, broccoli and basil. I will probably plant the pumpkin seedlings this week as they are getting quite large!

My very exciting news is that my Paula Red apple tree (planted last fall) has baby apples on it The Macintosh tree also flowered but I don't see any baby apples on it yet. My Honeycrisp tree never flowered so maybe next year.... My pear tree also hasn't flowered yet...
    Last edited by bobbiegirl2010; Sun, Jun 7th, 2015 at 09:18 AM.
    Ciel and redhdlois like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

We are noticing the tomato and pepper plants are growing and the broccoli planted from seed is growing too! I love looking at them everyday lol. We had rain last night and this morning so I don't have to water them yippee!
    Ciel and bobbiegirl2010 like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

@Frugalbigmama I love looking at mine everyday too We got a lot of rain today too so no watering here and the plants are loving it and are noticibly bigger since yesterday lol.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    368 (100%)

I look at mine every day too lol.....one day it was just a container of dirt.....the next day the spinach was an inch tall......it still amazes me what grows from a tiny little seed.
    And my two little organic tomato seedlings I bought a few weeks ago are growing like mad and I see they are starting to have little babies : D

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

So far I've picked some basil and rosemary. They are growing nicely. My radishes and corn are about 1.5 inches tall. Strawberries are fanning out like crazy. Everything else seems to be slowly coming along except my cucs, they died a horrible death in the cold a week ago... will be dug up and replaced.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I too have been enjoying the benefits of the rain taking over the watering, @bobbiegirl2010 !
    When I weeded the garden on Tuesday night, I did see two or three possible canteloupe shoots above the ground in one section but the shaded one seems not to have anything sprouting. Green leaf lettuce looks indecisive but the mesclun is playing catch me if you can and growing up!
    I'm going to have an issue if the 6 obvious cuke plants develop large leaves as they are within 6 inches of each other. Maybe a transplant is going to be in the works but putting them to face south is doing the trick in terms of sunshine.

Whoever has fresh rosemary-it'll be so worthwhile to make your own flatbread with sea salt on it and your crushed rosemary on top!
    bobbiegirl2010 and redhdlois like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

@Ciel I have 8 canteloupe seedlings growing. I transplanted 4 to a hill into the garden. They look just like the cucumber seedlings so its a good thing I labelled the pots I was growing them in lol.

My spinach is growing like crazy now so I'll probably harvest a bunch tomorrow for salads. The romaine lettuce is growing like crazy too but I'm going to let most of it keep growing. The red leaf lettuce and mesculin mix are growing really slow.

Yesterday I took advantage of the only non-rainy day so far this week and transplanted almost all of my seedlings: 10 broccoli (fit in one row), 8 brussels sprouts (also fit in one row), then: 8 canteloupe, 2 cucumber, 2 zucchini, 1 hubbard squash, 2 acorn squash and 2 butternut squash seedlings. These had to be planted in hills so started with 4 hills 5 ft apart (2 hills of canteloupe, 1 hill for cucumbers and 1 hill for zucchini). The winter squash need a huge amount of space (8 ft lol), and I ran out of space lol, so I made 3 hills (1 for each kind) in between the lettuce and onions (which will be done before the squash plants get really big - well I hope so lol).

All I have left to transplant are the pumpkins and basil. The basil seedlings are really small but at least they are still alive! I plan on planting them between my tomato plants but I'm not sure if I should wait until they get bigger or not. I have not had any luck growing herbs. I killed my rosemary plant and all my other herb seedlings except for a few cilantro which somehow survived and have been slowly growing in the garden near the tomatoes.

On the other hand the pumpkin seedlings are huge and need to be planted but I've run out of garden space (apparently each plant needs 50 sq ft!!!!) so DH is going to till up a pumpkin patch for me on the other side of the yard and I'll let them grow out into the lawn.

I hope everyone else's gardens are doing well. Who knew gardening would be so fun
    Last edited by bobbiegirl2010; Fri, Jun 12th, 2015 at 07:52 PM.
    Ciel and redhdlois like this.

Trading Score
    368 (100%)

Planted two more window box containers with spinach seeds today...as well as some more basil and cilantro seeds. I planted romaine (coastal star) seeds weeks ago but it sure isn't amounting to much.....anyone else ever planted that variety of romaine before ??
    My organic tomato plants (two diff varieties) are getting too much sun I think, they are wilting in the heat of the day....but it looks like I should be getting some fruit from them...crossing fingers as I don't have a lot of luck growing tomatoes.
    My balcony is getting crowded I sure miss having a yard garden.
    walkonby likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

Help! Something (I think it's birds) are pulling out/ripping my recently transplanted squash seedlings!!!!! Anyone else have this problem before? I'm so sad that some of the plants I grew from seed in my greenhouse were destroyed a few days after I transplanted them I tried planting new seeds in hopes that I'll get more plants but I am afraid they will get ripped out too if I don't do something to protect them. The same thing happened to my bean plants. They don't seem to mess with anything else in the garden just squash, canteloupe and beans. Has anyone else had this problem and/or know what I can do to protect my plants?
    Last edited by bobbiegirl2010; Tue, Jun 16th, 2015 at 06:46 AM.
    Ciel likes this.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information