User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree206Likes

Thread: Would you install Windows10 on July 25,2015

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by frugallegemom View Post
    We have two other computers in the house. One runs 8. I don't like 8. The other is running Windows 7 and works very well but doesn't have the message to install 10 for some reason.
    In order to get the tray icon to appear:

First: you must have a legitimate license for those machines (assume you do)
    Second: You cannot have "Enterprise" editions installed on said machines. You have to have anywhere from Standard/Basic/Pro/Ultimate editions.

Third: have the current Service Pack/updates...
    - On your Windows 8 computers: Ensure you have the update to 8.1
    - On your Windows 7 computers: Ensure you have Service Pack 1 installed
    (both of the above are available through Windows Update).

Also, there are a number of Optional Updates that include patches to various optional components to your OS. Ensure these are installed as well... not JUST the required updates. (Things like Skype and Silverlight are not essential, but other updates and patches to things like .Net etc are)

After you complete these updates to your current OS, in about 24-48 hours the tray icon promoting Windows 10 should appear.

I've done 6 machines now, a few were fresh installs, and a couple were currently in use. After the updates, I eventually got the icon on all of them.

Cheers.
    cath007, dededi and Davetherave like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm going to wait at least a month to see what fails before I upgrade.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

After my previous post, I was thinking that maybe I'd wait until I knew what the user interface looked like/worked. I installed IOBit's Smart Menu 8 because I preferred the desktop to the metro screen.
    Ciel, cath007, dededi and 1 others like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Got the same message. Been thinking about switching....not sure....

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yes, though there are many instability ever since the new Windows system coming out, I still cannot refrain from the temptation of it.
    Ciel and Davetherave like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

As of now, I'm not inclined to...I'll just bide my time, I'll revisit after 5 months.
    --- My favorite money-making sites and apps ---
    [SIZE=2]- GrabPoints ($129.43 this year)
    - eBates ($74.85 this year)

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I find Chrome really slow on Windows 10 but other than that no issues

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Have anyone tried the browser, windows edge ? is it really better than IE?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I was reading an editorial about windows 10 and the writer said to wait to install after the first service pack comes out. Which makes sense really, the first lot of issues would be addressed.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by elektra86 View Post
    Have anyone tried the browser, windows edge ? is it really better than IE?

I installed Windows 10 yesterday... and I've had a chance to try Edge.
    In my opinion it's not as good as IE11. If you ever used the browser from the Windows8(.1) Metro/tablet/RT side, it's basically the same as Edge. I'm not too fond of it, but fortunately IE11 is still part of Windows10 so I turfed Edge and run IE11.

maybe I'm just old-hat, but I customize a lot of my IE preferences and dont go with the out-of-the box settings. I know where those settings are in IE (I could probably do it with my eyes shut).
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Mon, Aug 3rd, 2015 at 03:17 AM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm going to stay with windows 7.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Good idea. I am on 7 and won't be jumping the gun to Win 10 just yet for so many reasons until all the bugs have been worked out.

Windows 10 Is Spying On You: Here’s How To Stop It

For those who are totally concern about Microsoft spying on you. Here's how you can minimize it but it won't totally safe guard all your privacy. Just surf wisely and use Tor and VPN and ect...

How to opt out

OK, here’s how to take control of this stuff if you’re worried about it. No, opting out is not especially simple, although if you take an absolutist approach it doesn’t take at all long to set everything to ‘no.’ If you’re yet to install Windows 10 and are concerned about all this stuff, you can head most of it off at the pass by declining Express settings and choosing options yourself, refusing any request to let the OS or apps access your location and turning the Cortana search assistant off. If you missed the boat there, you’ll need to do any and all of the following. Even if you were super-cautious during setup, be sure to follow step 3 below if you’re concerned.

1. Go to Settings – Privacy and go through the 13 different screens there and turn anything which concerns you to off. The biggest, most universal settings are under ‘General’, while the other screens let you choose which apps can and can’t access your calendar, messages, camera, mic, etcetera. There may well be stuff you want to leave on – for instance, I do actually want Windows’ Calendar app to access my calendar data (obv), I just don’t want it to sell that data on because I don’t want to be bombarded with flower ads when it’s my mum’s birthday.

2. Depending on whether you’ve been finding it useful or not, you may want to go to Cortana’s settings and turn off everything there. It’s just working as a basic file search for me now, as I didn’t want its ‘suggestions’, I didn’t want it to lock me into Bing and I didn’t want a tiny part of my processor to be forever dedicated to listening out for voice commands I will never use.

3. This is the crucial one, and so fundamental to Windows 10’s tracking that Microsoft have stuck the setting on an external website, which they say is so that it’s on one easy dashboard, but I find it hard not to wonder if it’s in the hope that we don’t easily stumble across it while browsing Windows 10’s own Privacy menus. Said website is colourful and cheerful and can play a video at you talking about how wonderful targeted advertising is. Ignore the bumf and instead go directly here and set both options to Off. It’s the innocuous-sounding “Personalised ads wherever I use my Microsoft account” which is the likely root of all this, because having that on means Windows 10 itself becomes a hub for targeted ads. You’ll probably have set up Windows 10 with a Microsoft account, because it heavily encourages you to do so with talk of synchronised files and settings and a OneDrive cloud account during installation, but this means the OS is signed into that account all the time. As a result, Windows 10 itself has it spyglasses on, not just apps or pages that you’re signed into with your MS account.

I notice that every time I go back to that page, the “Personalised ads in this browser” setting has silently turned itself back on again. This is concerning, but I’m not yet sure if it’s a bug or if it’s exploiting sessions as an excuse to reset regularly. Judicious ad and cookie control with your plugins and browser options of choice can change this, however. Again, do remember that many websites are dependent on advertising revenue to survive, but opting out of targeted advertising – and having that opt out be respected – is another matter entirely.

4. You may also wish to remove your Microsoft account from Windows 10 and use a local account instead. This will double-down on restricting what’s harvested, though you’ll lose out on features such as settings synchronisation across all your PCs and will suffer more nagging from stuff like the Windows Store and OneDrive. Probably not a big deal for many people, I suspect. Go to Settings – Accounts – Your Account within Windows 10 (or just type ‘Accounts’ into haha Cortana) to get to the relevant options.

If you have multiple PCs already running Windows 10 you’ll need to do all of this on each of them, although your Microsoft account opt-out should be universal.

None of these options mean you’ll see fewer ads, but they do mean that not quite so much information about you will be gathered and sold, and also that the ads you do see won’t be ‘relevant’ to what algorithms have decided your interests are. It is worth noting that some folk find the latter to be preferable to entirely irrelevant ads, and in some cases even useful – but certainly not everyone. Hopefully you can use the information here to make an informed choice about what happens. Again, in many respects it’s not wildly different from what already happens on your smart phone or your browser, but it’s important that you should know about it, and that Windows now has something of an ulterior motive.

More options, or clearer options, may become available in time, depending on how much of the world frowns at Microsoft about this. I’ll let you know if I hear of anything else that needs doing in order to have Windows 10 respect your privacy.

Quote Originally Posted by rkoeklenberg View Post
    I'm going to stay with windows 7.
    Last edited by beachdown; Sat, Aug 8th, 2015 at 10:42 PM.
    Lynn49, Ciel and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm really liking it so far over Windows 7. The one plus for me is that you can have apps. So for example now I have a Netflix app on my computer and I just click that instead of having to go to the Netflix website in my browser.

The bug i've noticed so far is that I can't get a couple of apps to open. Specifically games. I think they still need work on them or my pc is just too slow for it or something.

I like that there is also a mail feature built in so now I can just click on that whenever I want to check my e-mail.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I had updated my laptop ! And my Nvidia drivers are having issues! I spoke to the nvidia team they said its an issue with the os and microsofr people told me that its the issue the driver. Pathetic service from both of them. But other than that Win10 is really light! And I am in love with Microsoft Edge!
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So here is an example of what one of my games is doing. The pink squares are moving too which makes it really annoying. It's some sort of glitch.

http://i.imgsafe.org/55260a2.png
    Ciel likes this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information