User Tag List

Page 24 of 44 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 ... LastLast
Like Tree4723Likes

Thread: June 2015 Frugal Chatter

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Well dh is off running errands by himself - he needs to borrow at pc at a school to put his name back on the CYW substitute list for the fall, so that's great and he said that if he gets calls before school is out he will take some of them as he can't work everyday because of his back injury/pain which is understandable I think that being out of the house will do wonders for his spirits.

Friday I have an appointment so I will pop into WM to return an item that we purchased which we really don't need, I will take the store credit and put aside for Christmas time should be enough to pickup a xbox game or something of that sort.

Vacuumed the whole upstairs, will do washroom after my soap .

Also going to talk to dh as we have some scrap metal sitting in a pile and the town that my appointment is in has a baker so hopefully we can load up the truck and cash in .

Wishing everyone a wonderful afternoon
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wendymac View Post
    Hey, Sweet Sparrow. I know the feeling! and I'm so glad you reconnected with your keys. I lost my purse (actually, I thought I'd lost it but found it) a few months ago and I felt such panic. You don't know how much of your life is carried around on a strap or on a key chain until, that is, you lose all access to it. Then it's like losing access to your own life and who you are. I cannot tell you how careful I've been with the darned thing ever since. Just like you are with your keys, I bet.
    It certainly was a panic! I thought they were the only keys we had to the car in the entire world. Later, DH told me there were two other keys at home. Now I take one key to drive with and one key in my zipped pocket, just in case!

@Andit: For the tapioca pudding, you have to get a package of tapioca pearls, or sago, as they're also called. I've had real problems trying to find them lately. I ended up buying a package from the Guyanese section of the ethnic grocery store. My brother finds them at NF, but I couldn't find it at RCSS. I did find lots of tapioca starch though!

Boil them in water, about 1 cup of sago to four cups of water, until they're almost clear. You should see a small dot of white at the center when finished. Stir, stir, stir to prevent them from sticking. If you're using a thicker base like coconut milk or homo milk, I like to rinse them in water or it tends to become a big glutinous soup. If you're using 2%, 1%, or skim, you could get away with not rinsing (Mom does this) but it's just personal preference for me.

After rinsing, empty all the water and boil again in a can of coconut milk. Swirl in some honey to taste. I usually go two rounds with the honey bottle around the pot. Store unused portions in the refrigerator.

Next time, I might try with taro and a vanilla bean or using homo or skim milk, just to experiment. DH and LO love the above recipe though and gobble it all very quickly.

**PS to all readers, the above recipe is by no means an authentic one. It's just my experimental cooking.**

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Afternoon All,
    I must say it is funny (not in a ha ha way but more of a sad way) how complicated things like invites and potlucks have become.

Going back to what Angela said I know at our work we have run into issues with collections. There are certain things we all put in money but over the past few years it has some what become a topic of controversy. In our cases we have been asked for money for gifts for people we do not know or have been told about gifts that have been bought after the fact with little regard to what our current finances might be, instead we get a this has been bought for ___ each person needs to put in $20. As well as being invited to showers for people we do not know and be given quite the expensive registry.

I have developed the rule that if I do not work directly with you and have at least what I call a "work friendship" I do not participate. As well I have taken it one step further and follow the same rule when it comes to fundraising for local schools. This may sound mean but a couple years ago we ran into one staff member asking all staff and then when other staff found out before you knew it you were bombarded with numerous requests and when you said no it is like how can you give to ___ child and not mine. So now to make it far unless I have a "work friendship" with you I am sorry but I cannot afford to support everyone's child and this is the only far way I can think of.

As for Pot Lucks yet another controversy as we have had many people not sign up saying "I am not sure I will be there that day" but then when do end up here they have no issues eating the food (and in some cases making plates to take home with them for "family members" but do not participate). In the work environment I no longer participate for various reasons I have discussed in the past. As for personal our standard rule is who ever is hosting is in charge of a main dish and everyone else can bring as they please but everyone is expected to bring something. I must say within the group of people we normally have potluck events everyone is great and extremely generous. They are my mom's friends but a number of their children come (range in age from 18 to 31) and when they bring a child along they bring a second dish since technically 2 people are attending.

As for dietary restrictions I view this more on the person that is attending. In my family we have many dietary restriction we are willing to go to certain lengths to cover those needs. But the rule of thumb is what is severed is what is offered, take what you can eat leave what you cannot. To tell someone the morning of would not fly in our family, it be here is dinner take what you can eat leave what you cannot.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    I used to stress now I just ask him what he is making.
    Yes this!!!

T-minus 1 hour until guests arrive. Trying to stay positive.

DD#1 at school. DD#2 with mom. Midwife apt. Baby scored perfect on last week's ultrasound tests (heart, breathing, movement) and belly grew 3.5cm since last week so I do not need another! Very happy about this news.

Did groceries and got a bunch of GF clearance at my fav market so I am VERY happy. Prepped food for 1.5 hours and tidied. Now am doing the computer thing with ice on my lower back to rest. Planning on making weed spray and spraying weeds for a bit too before company arrives. DD#2 is now home and playing. She is waiting for my rest to be over so she can go outside.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

heh everyone. popping in quick to say hi.
    busy here. working on getting sons car up and running. my word my son will be driving by himself to work. yikes..

also trying to get time to put a few fairy pots together. they are an addiction. on top of my crocheting. lol.

everyone here is so busy with life..

well... dad is now across the street from his new residence to be. he's in a larger hospital. hoping to find out what is wrong..
    we have an idea.. however it may be the worst if we are right..

so for now were dealing with it one day at a time...

and between taking care of home and visits.. im keeping in shape and not doing much spending. basic needs yay..

take care..
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Thinking of you and your family Mrs Sunshine. Hugs.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@Granger hope everything goes well with the dinner guests @MrsSunshine take care hun @SassyAshley some great points on contributing to functions, fundraisers etc

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Moose steak cut up and marinating for tomorrows supper. Just chillin until ds2 gets off the bus in 10 minutes. Dh ran his errands, however the needed items needed to be ordered so he will wait for the call to pick them up perhaps next week. DH was well received at the high school he went to use their pc as, he used to substitute their a lot and they were all chatty and asking if he has back on the list, he said yes!!!! So now we wait and see if the phone rings (lol), he said he might as well take calls now if they come in....yippee....

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Thinking of you Mrs. S.

So here is the good the bad and the ugly of the get together.

Good: conversation stayed neutral, we will get together with the family again. Kids had fun and my friend helped with clean up.

Bad: we will not get together over a meal again.

Ugly: my friend said she was bringing pasta and fruit. I told her that was fine as I wanted to keep it simple and not be making food when we had so little time to visit (hence my 1.5 hours of prep before they arrived!!!) Think meatballs in crockpot and salads premade! She walks in with uncooked pasta (plain) and unwashed grapes and an uncut watermelon. Umm you brought work...she did the prep...but lessened our time to visit considerably.

I don't get some people.
    Last edited by Granger; Tue, Jun 16th, 2015 at 09:39 PM.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Ah the dreaded potluck. I must confess that I am not a picky eater but I am very picky about whose food I will eat at a potluck. Thankfully my mom and one of my aunts are great cooks, others not so much.
    I have been pretty stressed lately because I had an unusual result on my mammogram so I had to go back for another and an ultrasound. Scary because I am the same age now as my mom was when she was diagnosed. Thankfully the ultra sound was clear and the second mammogram did not see whatever the 1st did. Needless to say I am pretty relieved.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

^ great news, lilo!

Well, my period woes are over - thank goodness! There's always a day or two of residual back pain, but I can surely deal with that!

My sweet husband did some great shopping over the past few days, he's gotten quite good at it! With coupons, I make sure to only have him use them at places where I know there will be no hassle at all - and he doesn't mind using them.

Used several of the BOGO cereal coupons, Healthy Choice, Chef Boyardee, Orville popcorn; Playtex FPC, Tylenols of various types, and a great promo at Sobey's to buy one McCain fries and get a French's ketchup free. Some other assorted ones, too, I probably am not remembering.

Have any of you tried the French's ketchup if you are usual Heinz fans? I'll try it at lunch.

Knowing my day will be much less hassle-free is a very good and positive thing! Not that I'm up to my usual, but it will be SO much better!

Have a wonderful day, everyone!

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Morning Everyone,
    Mrs S thoughts and prayers with your family, aging family members is never something that is easy to deal with.

Lilo great news, always scary in these situations.

Granger wow showing up with uncooked pasta, I must say I wonder how some people's minds work or maybe it is just me. If I told someone I would bring pasta I would never show up with it uncooked. Maybe it is from seeing my own family meals and never knowing what stove/oven space will be available that I always show up with everything ready to go as the likelihood of a burner for me to use is slim.

Still fighting this cold, I am actually feeling better but so dang tired. Not to mention so over people telling me how bad I sound or nicely pointing oh that sucks to get sick when you have to work this weekend. Um yeah thanks I know I am fully aware I work this weekend and I will be here thank you.

We went grocery shopping last night and some how ended up over budget. I should never shop when sick as my guard goes down because I feel horrible and just want to get home. Mom got some Popcorn which was on sale and not in the budget plus we grabbed a few packs of Chinese Dumplings again on sale but not on the list and this pretty much accounts for the overage. As well I asked anything we just need items like Milk, yogurt, nope we are all good. Well Monday night well I was making my lunch I noticed we need both so had to pick those up. I will look at it tonight, since I have a flexible budget I think we are good (I set aside $50/week but due to my overtime we can afford $75 if needed as long as it does not happen week after week, but shhhh don't tell Mom) but now she wants to go to No Frills and get Beef/Pork blend which is on sale at our location this week as we are deemed Northern (whatever that means, we get a different flyer at times). Feel like groceries is our new up hill battle every time I think we will come in under budget we end up over budget but in the flexible area. I would really like to find a way to get a surplus here but so far it is just not happening.

Well better get back to work, have a great day everyone.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

morning
    had a great last night with son /his wife and "ashlyn" that ham I bought for 4.49 did us all-lemon pie was a bit runny-filling) maybe the humidity -it still held its shape
    -granger who would bring unfinished dishes-wow
    -lilo-great news on the mammogram(those uncomfortable tests)
    -mrs.s take care it is hard in our lives when elderly parents need extra help (I know I lived thu it-even working when I did and running from my job to my mom's apt-hank goodness my job was understanding many year ago )
    -nat -glad you are feeling a bit better-you have a great hubby helping out with coupons and groceries-oh and the French's ketchup is tiny bit different(more spices or tartness) -I noticed it and don't mind it -mind you my 2 kids would never eat it they love heinz (i tried over the years)

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

just read back a few posts, funny about your dinner guests granger, odd for sure. Glad your worry about the mammogram is gone lilo, Nat, having to be still suffering from monthly cycles, no fair! Glad your hubby was there for support. Ashley, I feel the budget woes you describe, if it is not on the list why do we always weaken and pick up extras?
    Personal best for me, into week 2 of the self imposed once a week shop, and look at that? here it is Wednesday and the
    " sky did not fall " despite DH thinking it might. The only real way for me to stick tight to my new plan is to not be in the stores when I do not have to be.
    have a wonderful day everyone.

babies teach us acceptance

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I used to pop out all the time to get stuff (it was my escape to get out of the house I think) Now I try hard to plan what we need/look at the flyers ahead of time and shop Friday/Saturday so we have what we need. I will go to the stores Wed/Thursday to pick up deals on fresh fruit/veggies to carry us through the next week. It seems to be working really well for me. So tomorrow I will make sure to get asparagus ($1.99 LB Foodland) since that will go great with bbq chicken Friday or Sunday night (we have a birthday dinner SAT night )

Page 24 of 44 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 ... LastLast

Thread Information