• 2 Post By bargain_hunter_lola
  • 3 Post By Lyssia510

Thread: Teacher gifts

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Dd is graduating grade 6(moving to a junior high school in September) and we wanted to get her teachers something really meaniful, more than just the standard card and gift card. We were thinking of getting her two teachers(male and female, she has each one for the day) each a tshirt signed by all the kids in her class(not sure how we'd pull it off since half her class is bused, would probably talk to the principal and see if he could help us), but I'm not sure if that would be a good idea or fall into the "what am I going to do with this" catergory. Was also thinking about getting something for the school that all the teachers could benefit from since they've all been amazing, but I have no idea what.
    If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them!

**If this is in the wrong place, please move, I thought of posting in the parent thread but it's been really slow lately**
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Have you checked out Pinterest? Love that site for ideas!

What about a serving platter that each kid signs or puts their fingerprint on?

Or big vase with fingerprints on it and flowers in it?

Or have each kid fill out one of those teacher printables (what I like about... type thing) then add them together in a nice binder.

You could get each kid to draw something and then either make a photo book or shrink them down to fit in a collage frame.

If you can sew a quilt would be a handy gift.

We went with gift cards for end of year this year because I've been too busy for anything else but the teachers really loved them. We gave them wine at Christmas (I had them fill out a questionnaire at the beginning to see what they like).

Such a nice thing to do! Good for you

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I don't have pintrest and I'm not overly crafty. Whatever I do has to be something quick since the only time all the kids are together is at school and there's not alot of time during the school day when one of the two teachers aren't around.
    I usually just go with gift cards, but since this is her last year and her teachers have been beyond amazing this year I want to do something a bit more personal.
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

You could always put either a note or a printable type thing in a sealed envelope and ask the teacher to put one in each kids backpack. Then the parents could respond to you via email or send whatever back in a sealed envelope via your child.

Kind of more work though....

Fingerprints could be done fast maybe during French class when the teacher isn't there.

Or maybe just sign each kids name to a frame/platter/vase/gift.

Maybe just a big GC if you can get all the parents to chip in. I'm sure a $200 gift card for example (given that 20 students chip in $10 each) would be very memorable and appreciated.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    95 (100%)

A GC would be quick and easy for you and also much appreciated as teachers often spend a lot of their own money for class supplies, etc.

and to add to it to make it a meaningful gift, you could ask all the students to each write a note about why they appreciated the teachers or their favourite moment this school year.

You could even email all the parents and have them send the notes back to you by email. Just print them out and put them in a binder or duotang, along with a copy of a class photo. Since there isn't much time left, email would be quicker, and it's really the words that matter most, whether it's hand-written or typed.

...so basically what @bargain_hunter_lola said above!
    Last edited by iheartcoupons; Thu, Jun 18th, 2015 at 06:02 PM.
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    76 (100%)

My oldest just graduated from kindergarten yesterday. They had a small ceremony that the parents were invited to and it was so cute. Today is the last (half) day of school though so we just got 2 gift cards for tims. We got a 10$ tims card for his teacher and a 5$ gift card for the class TA. I wasn't sure what else to get since like I said it was our oldest finishing kindergarten. But I like a lot of these ideas and might use them in the future for other teachers... I just hope whoever ds1 gets for grade 1 is as great as his teacher and TA were this year. Because of them he loves school and I felt comfortable sending him to school. (Stay at home mom with trust issues so it was hard for me to send ds1 to school... Ds2 starts school in 2 years and I'm hoping he gets the same teacher ds1 had this year.)
    dededi likes this.
    Intergalactic Proton Powered Electrical Tentacled Advertising Droids!

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Since you don't have Pinterest, thought I'd post some pics

iheartcoupons and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Update:

We went with Tshirts for the male teachers and canvas tote bags for the female ones. I wrote each of her two main teachers a letter asking if she could have both of the grade 6 classes sign something for the other teachers during class time and they both had no issues with it. I also had dd write them all thank you cards and I wrote one to each of them as well.
    Dd said the two female teachers were tearing up when they opened theirs, and her main male teacher changed into his shirt right away and wore it all day. We also got the teacher she had in grade 4(who made such a difference in dd's life and two years later still made a point of checking in with dd once a week and chatting/helping her with school work etc) a bag of her current favorite snacks(her and dd are always talking/swapping snacks), and dd said she teared up too.
    I think this went over better than gift cards and was much cheaper(I spent 18 at Michaels for the shirts, totes, Sharpies and Thank You cards, and another 12 on the snacks, vs the $25-30 per gift card I usually spend).
    Lynn49, DaveP and dededi like this.

Thread Information