User Tag List

Page 46 of 67 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 48 56 ... LastLast
Like Tree2781Likes

Thread: Canning Pics, Feel free to post yours!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

What's a good, going-rate right now for 1/2 bushel (25 lbs) of tomatoes? I see Loblaw's this week has 7.99 for a half-bushel (25 lbs) Roma. Is that gonna be as good a price as we will see this year in the city at a grocery store (don't want to drive 4 hours out of Toronto.)

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    19 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Oulton View Post
    What's a good, going-rate right now for 1/2 bushel (25 lbs) of tomatoes? I see Loblaw's this week has 7.99 for a half-bushel (25 lbs) Roma. Is that gonna be as good a price as we will see this year in the city at a grocery store (don't want to drive 4 hours out of Toronto.)
    I bought mine yesterday for 6.98 at superstore.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

It really depends on where you live. If you are in ontario you have tons of places to pm at walmart. Out in alberta the best prices seem to be at fruit stands where they are close to over ripe... perfect for canning but you have to use them right away. You can even ask for a better deal if you are purchasing several cases.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Has anyone used the tatler lids? I was at CT and they were clearing them out $6.99 for a box of 12. I bought a couple of boxes. Was going to buy more but wasn't sure if that was a good price...it seems people either love them or hate them. I also bought an extra box of seals for $2. They also had wide mouth tatler a for $9. Trying to decide if i should go get more?
    also at loblaws I saw these little bread puddings in a box in fridge section. Dh loves bread pudding so I bought one turns out they were $.99 so opened box on way out of the store and realized they were in 1/2 pint bernardin wide mouth jars. So cute. I ran in and bought 5 more. Now I am wishing I bought more as I like having small jars for certain things.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Thought of this thread when I saw this on the news feed - canning is cool again! And there's a contest for TO.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2205108/to...is-cool-again/

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I have my parents pressure canner but cannot use on my glass top stove. And since it's not mine I don't want to use on the bbq side burner just in case.

I have looked on the bernadin website re - tomatoes,

I want to can the 1/2 bushel I have that are ripe. I know I need to add 2tbsp of lemon juice to each 1 litre and salt is optional but want to double check how long those that do hot water baths let it bathe. The Bernadin webside says to process in water bath for 85 minutes.

My MIL never does hot water bath and doesn't use a pressure canner either and she has no problems as the tomatoes are cooked and pipping hot,

Jeepers I remember my grandma used to do her tomato canning in the oven those were the good old days.

So how long would you keep in a hot water bath? or any other suggestions would be great

Any help would be appreciated - thanks
    Last edited by jasperandchar; Sat, Sep 5th, 2015 at 06:45 PM.
    dededi and Davetherave like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    19 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    I have my parents pressure canner but cannot use on my glass top stove. And since it's not mine I don't want to use on the bbq side burner just in case.

I have looked on the bernadin website re - tomatoes,

I want to can the 1/2 bushel I have that are ripe. I know I need to add 2tbsp of lemon juice to each 1 litre and salt is optional but want to double check how long those that do hot water baths let it bathe. The Bernadin webside says to process in water bath for 85 minutes.

My MIL never does hot water bath and doesn't use a pressure canner either and she has no problems as the tomatoes are cooked and pipping hot,

Jeepers I remember my grandma used to do her tomato canning in the oven those were the good old days.

So how long would you keep in a hot water bath? or any other suggestions would be great

Any help would be appreciated - thanks
    This is what I did last year and I have a couple left and they are all still sealed and taste fine. http://www.prettyprudent.com/2011/09...ut-a-canner-2/

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

thanks @mizmeg

So I found on the ball website to process 1 litre canned tomatoes for 40 minutes so that is what I did with 2tbsp of lemon juice for 1 litre jars. All jars are sealed and ready to be moved in my storage room.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    hooray! I finally found this thread, been searching all over for it. o.k. so after scoring some tomatoes off both the WM and NF reduced produce racks even though it took enough time, plenty of work and some mess but I ended up with 6 x 1 Litre jars of pretty thick and flavourful sauce.
    I had accidentally let the mixture reduce so much in my giant electric cooker ( fell asleep ) that it looked like tomato paste, so I added boiled water back to it so I could fill my jars.
    Does anyone remember or know what amount of tomatoes it takes to fill 1 jar? I started with 39 lbs of tomatoes, so appears in my case it took about 6.5 lbs of tomatoes for 1 Litre of sauce ( there is some waste there through skins, cores, seeds and removing any blemishes )

I want to get a camera that will connect properly to my computer, so aggravating to have a digital camera but with no way to load any of the pics on here. Sounds like I need to go to the rant section next.

I always chuckle at quoting my own post but it is a reference point for me. On Sunday I got a great buy from RCSS for their 25 lb boxes of Roma tomatoes ( they were $4.00!! ) and I bought 2 cases. They've been in the freezer till today, rock hard and were the easiest batch I've ever skinned!
    About half of them are now simmering in my electric cooker, in batches I had placed them all in the blender first then chopped lots of fresh basil from the garden and tossed in minced garlic from a jar. Still have plenty in the freezer left to do but the cooker only holds so much sauce. I want to let as much water evaporate from this as possible again to get a real thick sauce. ( perhaps by tonight? ) We'll see how many jars I get later.

Update: The mixture cooked all day, the sauce reduced by more than half in the pan. I filled and processed 6 Litres of very thick sauce, not as thick as tomato paste, but had such rich flavour.
    I was skinning these tomatoes around 7:30 a.m. and I was getting the filled jars into the boiling water bath at 7:00 p.m. A labour of love.
    Last edited by walkonby; Tue, Sep 8th, 2015 at 11:21 PM. Reason: updated to post yield

babies teach us acceptance

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

um....has anybody seen the 25 lb boxes of Roma tomatoes at NF this week? I was in there today ( Thursday 10th ) and for sure there was an incorrect sign posted in the front of them, they had them listed at $15.99 a box!!
    I have seen them almost everywhere for as cheap as $4.00 ( RCSS ) to $6.99 ( I forget where now ) and I even spoke to a produce employee to confirm the weight and price. Then I suggested he speak with his manager as there is no way they will sell any......well not to anyone who knows their prices.
    cheekysaver and dededi like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    um....has anybody seen the 25 lb boxes of Roma tomatoes at NF this week? I was in there today ( Thursday 10th ) and for sure there was an incorrect sign posted in the front of them, they had them listed at $15.99 a box!!
    I have seen them almost everywhere for as cheap as $4.00 ( RCSS ) to $6.99 ( I forget where now ) and I even spoke to a produce employee to confirm the weight and price. Then I suggested he speak with his manager as there is no way they will sell any......well not to anyone who knows their prices.
    Could you have price matched? Although I don't see any advertised this week. Wow $15.99 that is crazy!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I love the Tattler lids, have about 1200 of them on the go. That's a great price for them; I was just at Crappy Tire up on the Danforth and they had them, but at regular prices, not clear-out. I would have bought a ton more at that price, for sure. In fact, i love them so much, I wrote an article on them: http://www.healthycanning.com/tattle...-home-canning/

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My cleaning lady has a part time job at Loblaws, she said 18 bucks for 50 lbs (bushel) but you have to ask for them, not on floor.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The Ball site gives good solid advice. The Ball Blue Book is considered by many people to be their canning bible. I love it.

Yes, 1 tbsp of bottled (must be bottled) lemon juice per 1/2 litre.

Yep, every canning professional agrees that tomatoes have to be processed to be safe -- the risk of food poisoning is there otherwise, and who wants to go to all that work of canning tomatoes and doubt your results? While the lemon juice will acidify a pure tomato mixture enough to prevent botulism spores from "hatching", it won't prevent against listeria, salmonella, campylobacter jejuni, etc. So the heat of the processing in the jar kills those nasties off, while the acidity of the lemon juice prevents botulism. Double whammy, makes product 100% safe. And when the jar cools, you get a super strong seal, with no spoilage. With the "old ways", what they don't tell you is they encountered a lot of spoilage, and, a lot of "mysterious" 24-hour flu (i.e. food poisoning).

The forms in which you can process jars of tomatoes now are pressure canning, water bath or steam canning. Steam canning is newly authorized and is an equivalent to water bath canning (not pressure canning.) Pressure canning must be used if you are adding a lot of low-acid ingredients to your tomato mixture (onion, green pepper, celery, mushroom, meat), unless you are using a lab-tested recipe such as the Minnesota mix which has been designed to be safe for water bath / steam canning.

The processing time may vary based on the form of tomato product you are canning. I just canned 150 lbs of tomatoes as crushed, thick sauce, spag sauce, Minnesota mix, kethchup and chutney. Still have salsa to do.

What form did you can your tomatoes in? Crushed, or whole?

What jars did you use? Can you believe the price difference now between Golden Harvest and Bernardin -- it was enough last year, but this year the Bernardin brand went up by another buck. Both are made by the exact same company -- Jarden, in Muncie Indiana.

Here's a piece I wrote on canning tomatoes, to bring general high-level knowledge guidelines (and reasons) from the experts all together in one place: http://www.healthycanning.com/canning-tomatoes/
    walkonby, cheekysaver and dededi like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

What is the brand of pressure canner? Presto pressure canners are fine for glass top. I have 3 Presto pressure canners and a Maytag glass-top stove.

Page 46 of 67 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 48 56 ... LastLast

Thread Information