• Other/Haven't decided yet

11 20.75%
Page 37 of 123 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 87 ... LastLast
Like Tree3751Likes

Thread: October Federal Election Discussion / Poll

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Thu, Oct 29th, 2015 at 12:06 PM.
    anisa and DaveP like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I think when Mulcair and Trudeau jumped on Harper for using fear tactics, they might have been referring to things like this. At least, this was the first thing that jumped to my mind.
    I find it weird that he talks about terrorists at home, and has the other party leaders on there.

Promoting Terrorism propaganda is illegal under c-51, but I guess it is ok to use it in political campaigns?

Patty Smyth, lecale and DaveP like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Thu, Oct 29th, 2015 at 12:06 PM.
    DaveP likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Thu, Oct 29th, 2015 at 12:07 PM.
    DaveP likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Conservative leader Stephen Harper's line about "old-stock Canadians" during the Thursday leaders' debate was a deliberate move to energize the Conservative base on an emotional topic, a pollster says.
    Frank Graves, president of EKOS Research, says that kind of divisional tactic has been used successfully in the past.
    "It's part of the deliberate strategy to sort Harper's constituency from the rest of the electorate," Graves told CBC Montreal's Daybreak. "It creates a sense of us versus others."
    Graves describes Harper's comment as a "dog whistle": something meant to be heard by a target audience, but misheard or ignored by the rest.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...bate-1.3233615
    DaveP likes this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Harper was pro Apartheid and wanted Mandela to be kept in prison. That is his mindset, it is the type of person he is.
    Patty Smyth, DaveP and beachdown like this.
    R

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    Conservative leader Stephen Harper's line about "old-stock Canadians" during the Thursday leaders' debate was a deliberate move to energize the Conservative base on an emotional topic, a pollster says.
    Frank Graves, president of EKOS Research, says that kind of divisional tactic has been used successfully in the past.
    "It's part of the deliberate strategy to sort Harper's constituency from the rest of the electorate," Graves told CBC Montreal's Daybreak. "It creates a sense of us versus others."
    Graves describes Harper's comment as a "dog whistle": something meant to be heard by a target audience, but misheard or ignored by the rest.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...bate-1.3233615
    load of crap. He meant old and new Canadians. Old stock Canadians would be those who have been here for generations. First Nations, Europeans of many different flavors, black folk escaping slavery who are a vibrant community and an integral part of my province and this country to this day. Asians who came over at the turn of the last century under oppressive circumstances but who helped build this country. Every race, every religion is represented in 'Old stock' Canadians.

And he didn't make any distinction between 'old stock' and 'new stock' Canadians. He said we all strive for equality - we're united, both those with long roots in Canada and those with shorter roots.

There is nothing objectionable in what he said. We all love this country.
    Last edited by DaveP; Fri, Sep 18th, 2015 at 02:31 PM.
    gryphon and lecale like this.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

@DaveP....but you just made the same distinction in your post i.e. "old stock", and the order in which you listed all what will be considered "Canadians". I mean does a Canadian from decades ago get bragging rights over a Canadian from a decade ago i.e. are they superior somehow? Some people were born here / came here decades ago and have never worked. Some people came 10yrs ago and have paid more taxes into the system

"we might all love this country", but do we all love each other..that is 30 Billion plus question.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    Harper was pro Apartheid and wanted Mandela to be kept in prison. That is his mindset, it is the type of person he is.
    This isn't true Anisa. I read this on the comments section on a CBC article last night and checked it out. All the online sites were left wing blogs claiming this. I need a real source and I couldn't find one. But I found a reddit thread where someone asked the same question a couple of years ago.

It's really worth a read. Dozens of people researched this online, and some were able to access university libraries and scan paper references (there wasn't an internet when this all allegedly occurred).

https://www.reddit.com/r/CanadaPolit...er_and_nelson/

This is all made up stuff. If it was real Trudeau and Mulcair would be hammering Harper over the head with it. Hell, Haper wouldn't have won one election let alone three. These are just lies by people hoping lies will make a difference to the folks who only get their information over the internet, spread it to their online 'friends' and never ever factcheck.
    Last edited by DaveP; Fri, Sep 18th, 2015 at 02:52 PM.
    gryphon and lecale like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

DaveP likes this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by beachdown View Post
    @DaveP....but you just made the same distinction in your post i.e. "old stock", and the order in which you listed all what will be considered "Canadians". I mean does a Canadian from decades ago get bragging rights over a Canadian from a decade ago i.e. are they superior somehow? Some people were born here / came here decades ago and have never worked. Some people came 10yrs ago and have paid more taxes into the system

"we might all love this country", but do we all love each other..that is 30 Billion plus question.
    At no point did he say old is better than new. He said old and new agree, as in we're united.

Not sure what problem you have with that.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The article in the link might convince you

[And then there was a young man named Stephen Harper.
    In 1989, Harper was a member of the Northern Foundation, an umbrella group for right-wing extremists in Canada1 which worked extensively with the South African embassy in Ottawa to promote the regime.
    http://www.prairiedogmag.com/2013-12...de-of-history/

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    This isn't true Anisa. I read this on the comments section on a CBC article last night and checked it out. All the online sites were left wing blogs claiming this. I need a real source and I couldn't find one. But I found a reddit thread where someone asked the same question a couple of years ago.

It's really worth a read. Dozens of people researched this online, and some were able to access university libraries and scan paper references (there wasn't an internet when this all allegedly occurred).

https://www.reddit.com/r/CanadaPolit...er_and_nelson/

This is all made up stuff. If it was real Trudeau and Mulcair would be hammering Harper over the head with it. Hell, Haper wouldn't have won one election let alone three. These are just lies by people hoping lies will make a difference to the folks who only get their information over the internet, spread it to their online 'friends' and never ever factcheck.
    anisa likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

DaveP likes this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    One must always beware of getting the news from sites that beg for PayPal donations in order to fund their existence. Q.E.D.
    Did you check the many links in that discussion thread? These people were really just trying to figure it out, many without a bias - just looking for the truth of the claims. I liked reading it because I could see how they researched. I fancy myself a researcher too, but they were good. Really good.

Don't scan their posts, read them. And access the links.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

DaveP likes this.

Page 37 of 123 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 87 ... LastLast

Thread Information