User Tag List

Page 49 of 67 FirstFirst ... 39 47 48 49 50 51 59 ... LastLast
Like Tree2781Likes

Thread: Canning Pics, Feel free to post yours!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

What are the canning books you use?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The ball blue book and the ball and bernardin websites and the recipes that came with the canner.
    cheekysaver and dededi like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

How did you get a Ball blue book; I tried to order from their site and they won't sell anything to Canadians! I had to get it smuggled into Canada via a friend in the states, lol!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Oulton View Post
    How did you get a Ball blue book; I tried to order from their site and they won't sell anything to Canadians! I had to get it smuggled into Canada via a friend in the states, lol!
    I bought it at target in US. It is not very big more like a thick magazine so maybe not the same thing that you have.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Canning pork loin. First time. Nor very impressed with the pork loin it was fairly big but because there was soooo much fat on it, it took forever to cut it up and then I only got 3 pints. Not impressed!
    walkonby, dededi and Davetherave like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by scouponer View Post
    Canning pork loin. First time. Nor very impressed with the pork loin it was fairly big but because there was soooo much fat on it, it took forever to cut it up and then I only got 3 pints. Not impressed!
    I was looking at some in WM I think it was last week and the entire bottom layer of every package seemed to be a very thick layer of fat, so I passed on them because of that. When we go through all the work it can be so irritating not to get a decent yield.

babies teach us acceptance

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I was just sitting here typing away and reading posts when suddenly I jumped out of fright! It was only my jars of pickled beets " popping " in the kitchen that I heard, but three of them were LOUD!!

babies teach us acceptance

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just made my mom some raspberry freezer jam. She has been going through a jar a week. She eats it with a spoon. I don't have enough freezer room to keep her stocked up. Raspberries were on sale for$1.97 plus had pc point offer for 600'points. So not too bad.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

9 jars of salsa today. Garden tomatoes, onions and hot peppers. Had to buy green, red and yellow peppers. So much work but soooo taste.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I just started canning a few months ago. I have made pickles, salsa, raspberry and strawberry jams. My next thing i would like to can is pie filling and this is how i found this thread. I live in northern ontario so we don't have a lot of stores here so i was on the look out for clear jell. I guess i will have to order online.

1 question how much should i order ? I wanted to make a batch of blueberry, strawberry, raspberry and cherry. Any help would be great because i would hate not to order enough .
    dededi and Davetherave like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi Jamie, I've written a fair bit about Clearjel.

Here are quantities needed: http://www.healthycanning.com/clearj...l-measurements

The first time out, you'll probably want to use the full amounts called for, just so you can know for yourself. But having done that, I think I am starting to agree with some old hands in the field, who think the amounts called for are too much, and cut back on the Clearjel http://www.healthycanning.com/clearj...cipe-calls-for . I have canned the apple, the blueberry, the peach and the strawberry rhubarb.

Here are some sources for in Canada for Clearjel.

http://www.healthycanning.com/cannin...rjel-in-canada

I'm in Toronto, but I get mine from Sharyn's Pantry in Cornwall because even though someone in Toronto must sell it, I've yet to hear of them. (You may see that Golda's Kitchen sells it as well, but I'm afraid that after a decade of being a loyal shopper there and spending thousands of dollars with them, I too have been body-checked into the ranks of abused Golda's customers (there is no real Golda, BTW) and so can no longer recommend them, in fact I wave red flags about dealing with them.)

Tomorrow I'm canning Green Tomato Pie filling, which doesn't use Clearjel. http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_02/can_...o_filling.html

Will you be using sour cherries, if so how did you get ahold of them?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

thank you for the links. It helps me figure out how much i need to order on amazon.ca. I wish I was closer to sothern ontario would make finding the clear gel so easy. I am approx 7 hours north from Toronto so there is not much up here lol, i should have looked when we went on vacation this summer .

I am using regular cherries that i pick up for the store, i froze them knowing that i wanted to make pie filling. I hope it turns out .

Thank you again for all the info

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Oulton View Post
    Some american amazon companies do ship to canada. Some sellers ship to a depot to be distributed to customers (most do) and some go directly to the customer.
    Last edited by cheekysaver; Wed, Oct 14th, 2015 at 05:15 PM.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

My oh my, you all have been busy!!! My canning got sidetracked with a type 2 diabetes diagnosis. I tried the meds for a short time and uttered more cuss words than should be said. Horrible side effect. I decided I am kicking it's arse with diet alone and that means a vegan whole foods plant based diet It is working. I will be canning some beans and such to have on hand for fast cooking times, but for the most part everything is fresh and cooked in bulk then frozen to hold in vitamins as much as possible. So, my canning got side barred. There is just too much to learn to have canning be a priority atm.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

*whispers... torrents. :D

Oh I never thought of that!

When you are buying the Blue Book (or any other canning book from Amazon), you always want to make as sure as you can of the edition, or some unscrupulous vendors will try to sell you old, outdated versions. I wanted to be sure I was getting the latest versions so ordered them via a friend in the States.
    cheekysaver and dededi like this.

Page 49 of 67 FirstFirst ... 39 47 48 49 50 51 59 ... LastLast

Thread Information