• 1 Post By Midnightly
  • 3 Post By EvilTofu
  • 2 Post By matty's mom
  • 1 Post By Ciel
  • 1 Post By Midnightly

Thread: Fabricland membership - Sewciety

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

I'm looking to get some cheap fabric to make baby burb cloths, swaddling cloths etc. and was told that fabricland is the place to shop. Their website has some info on a membership called Sewciety. No info. on fee. Does anyone here on Smartcanucks has any info. on the membership? I remembered many years ago you have to own your own tailor shop to get membership.
    I'm in the west so the website i visited is for the west.
    Thanks very much.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Thu, Oct 29th, 2015 at 01:09 PM.
    Purdee, Lynn49 and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

thank you for the info.
    i won't be shopping for fabric much - i hope not. I don't even have a sewing machine yet!!! but my parents do so i'm planning to use theirs.
    i'm also searching for fabric stores that do not require membership.
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Thu, Oct 29th, 2015 at 01:09 PM.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

^^^ yes their sewing machine is old and heavy but it sews jeans!! i read many reviews on the newer models and they don't sew heavy or jeans very well.
    i already signed up for the newsletter. thank you

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

they membership used to be cheap (like $15 for a year for $25 for two years) but they price has jumped substantially since they changed it over to sewcity and got rid of the 2 year membership (i think it's now $25 for 1 year)

depending on what and how much you plan to sew the membership can be worth it.. though if you only planning on dabbling and not picky about your fabrics you don't need the membership (you might end up spending more on the membership that what you end up saving) depending on where your located there might be another fabric store with similar prices that you don't need a membership to. though with the membership they do have good sales (but i feel the prices are highly marked up which is why they can do good sales i would never personally spend $10 a meter on broadcloth or $20 a meter on a satin) they will often have 50% off sales throughout the year (one happening this weekend actually)

depending on what you are sewing you might find it worth skipping the membership and simply shopping the bargain bin(ohh how i miss walmart's fabric bargain bin)... at the back of the store is often a row of shelves with prices $2-5 per meter (though if your store is anything like mine there's never any $2 fabrics) these prices are not membership exclusive prices.. i personally buy alot of my fabric from that section you don't have as much choice as other fabrics but sometimes you find a few diamonds in there (i've made some great outfits out of bargain fabric.. i've found flannelette in there often and make my kidlet's PJs for cheap-old school ones that hang to the floor with a ruffle on the bottom lol)

i will add though.. sewing isn't the cheapest hobby out there.. it's often cheaper to buy pre-made garments and items then to buy the fabric and sew them together yourself (a prime example...i make my kid's halloween costumes..and even using cheaper fabrics it would probably be cheaper for me to buy them pre-made in the store)
    Purdee and lecale like this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

^^^ swaddling and burbing cloths are not cheap - i looked at walmart and kijiji. My coworker suggested that making my own would be cheaper and they are basically square or rectangular anyway - nothing fancy. And she suggested getting flannel so they are nice and warm for the baby.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Purdee View Post
    ^^^ swaddling and burbing cloths are not cheap - i looked at walmart and kijiji. My coworker suggested that making my own would be cheaper and they are basically square or rectangular anyway - nothing fancy. And she suggested getting flannel so they are nice and warm for the baby.
    nope they are not all that cheap.. i remember pricing them out when my kidlet was born (i ended up buying second hand for a fair price) before you start sewing do price out how much Flannel/flannelette is.. from what i remember it's not the cheapest thing out there (can vary by the pattern/solids and quality.. ) sometimes you can find it on the back clearance rack for $3-4 a meter(where i always buy it now when they have their 50% off clearance days) or else it can vary from $8-15+ (then add on $2 per spool of thread) again it makes me miss walmart fabric when you could buy it for $4 a meter or $1.97 bargain bin (i made a few large square swaddle blankets that i still use)
    Last edited by Midnightly; Thu, Oct 22nd, 2015 at 07:52 PM.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Fabricland charges membership fee for the Sewciety. it was $25+tax a year, $20 for seniors. They offer a $5 off if you choose paperless. It's not worth it, you'd need to spend hundreds to break even. Money Sense always advise against paying upfront for discounts.

I've started sewing last year, I found that there is no way that one can make cheap garments in Canada. Fabrics in general are $15 per yard, $10 on sale, $5 on clearance. For baby stuff, you'd need waterproof or extra soft, that would run you $20-25 a yard. A lot of the fabrics at Fabricland are very bad quality. The prints are completely warped after one wash. I only go there for lining fabrics.

It is just so much cheaper to buy than to make. Burp clothes are like $5 for a 3-pk at Toys R Us, Swaddle cloth about $15.

If you are making it as a gift, don't count on it being cheaper. Enjoy the fun of making, and people would appreciate your love in making custom items.
    Purdee, Ciel and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

I have had the membership in past years and I used to buy big ticket items when on sale with membership, like rotary blades and my xl self healing cutting mat. But now, I have let it go. Thanks to the cotton shortage a few years back, fabrics and clothing quality in general have been on the decline and polyester is everywhere. So I have taken to thrifting for fabric.

The Value village nearby tags fabric as bed and bath so, when they have a 50% off day, it is the first rack I hit up. I have a large royal blue wool crepe piece (3meters) that cost me a whole $4.00 and navy wool twill (4 m) that cost me $8. Just waiting for a reason to cut.

I also am not afraid to upcycle fabric from other sources. For example, a wool sweater was felted for thick mittens and boot liners. We don't throw cotton anything out now, it is repurposed. T- shirts are too thin now, so I hold unto anything soft and thick. An A-line skirt in a size two or three sizes larger than me can give me enough material to make a knee length skirt, or shorts. I have remade my jeans into one for little man when he was smaller, avoiding the wear. I made crib sheets out of a set of flannels twin sheets my mothers didn't need anymore.

i once walked into Zara and found a skirt that I loved for $90. Couldn't justify the price at the time as money was tight. But, two hours later, walked into Homesense and found a shower curtain with the same pattern on clearance for $15.00. The fabric was a bit thicker but I didn't care. My friends laugh at that one. It shocked them. They told me it was very "sound of music" .

There are ways to make quality garments, and other items out there without spending a lot of money. I love that I can wear my wool gap sweater to church with my upcycled wool skirt and boots and no-one is the wiser for how much it cost me.

Good luck with your sewing!
    Last edited by matty's mom; Fri, Dec 4th, 2015 at 12:48 PM.
    Ciel and GoddessDigi like this.
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

The one beneficial change to the sewing membership program is that it expires one year from the date of purchase. Members are no longer locked into the Sept. - Aug. term. @matty 'smom -t-shirts have always become rag material but you are right, fabrics in stores have changed in quality. If an existing garment still has potential wear or another garment life, then it will be altered. But some things hit the garbage bin faster than the rag bag. I have yet to find a fabric find at Value Village that tempts me-I also look at the bedding section just in case, but no success (not into neutrals or putty tones). I always check out the patterns, though-sometimes a gem is on sale!
    matty's mom likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    The one beneficial change to the sewing membership program is that it expires one year from the date of purchase. Members are no longer locked into the Sept. - Aug. term. @matty 'smom -t-shirts have always become rag material but you are right, fabrics in stores have changed in quality. If an existing garment still has potential wear or another garment life, then it will be altered. But some things hit the garbage bin faster than the rag bag. I have yet to find a fabric find at Value Village that tempts me-I also look at the bedding section just in case, but no success (not into neutrals or putty tones). I always check out the patterns, though-sometimes a gem is on sale!
    good to know the membership is now a 12 month from date of purchase.. vrs expires in december (lets me know i don't have to rush to renew) though i hate that they got rid of the 2yr membership and wildly upped the price per year (pretty sure last time i renewed my 2yr membership it only cost me like $25-30 i'm going to be sad to see my gold card go)
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Sewciety membership terms changed this year. Closing sale is on at the Galleria location in Toronto. If you are on the e-mail list, today is the third & last day to use the special coupons to save 50% off Burda patterns, to get Butterick patterns for $6.50 each, 50% off regular price notions or 50% off two cuts of fabric. Must print or show coupons to get the deals.

I'm not a Sewciety member but have found the coupon offers via e-mail sometimes timely when I need something or (want another pattern) remember I ran out a specific thread!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

nice

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Some good holiday deals are now offered at Fabricland if you need a new dress or project material, notions or gift ideas for fellow crafters/sewists/cosplayers.

Do check out the Dec 2018/Jan 2019 issue of Vogue Patterns for holiday outfits (an off-shoulder gown with giant shoelace detail on the back) and accessory ideas. There are also two men's casual jackets to sew for the men in your lives.

Thread Information