User Tag List

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree1079Likes

Thread: Crazy Grocery Prices - Due to Loonie tanking.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Decaf View Post
    I am hanging on to my last 9 Ambrosia apples...after I finish these wonder how much I have to shell out for Golden Delicious apples. Good thing is I hate broccoli and lettuce so I stick with potatoes, carrots, & squash. I do like fresh vine tomatoes...the price should be ridiculously high now.
    $1.99 for 6 Golden Delicious organic apples on the reduced produce rack (Fortino's Ancaster) last week. Yes, I bought a pkg for that price!
    Angela273, macw1960, DaveP and 3 others like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    Lucky!! No joke, here in Toronto, the fig tree produces exactly one fruit the entire year . Me and my dad split it. It's the size of a grape hahaha
    Maybe if summer 2016 is a steady hot/humid one, you'll have too many figs!
    Angela273, macw1960, DaveP and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Rice seems to be pricey as well. It's cheaper to get a 900g or 1kg bag of red lentils (sale) than a 454g package of rice (long grain).
    Angela273, macw1960, DaveP and 2 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Rice seems to be pricey as well. It's cheaper to get a 900g or 1kg bag of red lentils (sale) than a 454g package of rice (long grain).
    Rice lasts a long time. I buy the 10Lb bag when on sale and put in mason jars to keep it fresh. I just said to my main squeeze the other day that we need to watch for the next sale and grab a few to put away.
    Angela273, Ciel, macw1960 and 3 others like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I buy the 28kg Rooster Brand Rice for $25.00 a bag (sale price and-one of the best brands IMO). I pick up about 2-3 bags at a time. No point in fooling around when I use it up so fast!

OOOOOPPPPPSSSSSS--- I meant 18.1kg!!!! It is still 39.90 lbs, which is still a lot of rice!!!!!
    Last edited by maggiespice; Mon, Jan 4th, 2016 at 09:16 PM.
    Angela273, Ciel, macw1960 and 5 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Its pretty sad when you cant feed your kids the veges you want because the prices are outrageous. I was in metro the other day. $6.99 for cauliflower!!!!

Was in food basics was $5.97. Aspargus was 5.99 a pound. Head of lettuce $3!!

Almonds are expensive buts its one thing I fork out the cash for because I love a handful of them for breakfast.

We are the 2nd largest country in the world and the least populated with tonnes of farms. Surely we can stop with the idiotic crap of selling it and then buying back at higher prices.

I do stock up on items we consume alot of when they are on sale though. Got lots of pasta/penne on sale last week to stock up on

Good thing is we live about 1km from a costco and we dont pay for the membership cause my mom has one and you're allowed to add one person for free. She added me. If you go to any store for pepperoni you pay the same price as you do for two of them at costco. Plus lots of other deals. Big bags of french fries...kids snacks.... for fantastic prices etc etc
    Last edited by jennypooh123; Mon, Jan 4th, 2016 at 04:57 PM.
    Ciel, GoJays, macw1960 and 4 others like this.
    http://www.prizerebel.com/index.php?r=6028042
    I Earned $2200 with clixsense in less than a year, join with me and I can help you earn too
    http://www.clixsense.com/?3753520

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Crazy prices on healthy food makes people eat cheaper junk food like chips, pop, canned stuff, frozen pizza, pizza pops in some households.
    Ciel, coley3, macw1960 and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jennypooh123 View Post
    Was in food basics was $5.97. Aspargus was 5.99 a pound. Head of lettuce $3!!

Good thing is we live about 1km from a costco and we dont pay for the membership cause my mom has one and you're allowed to add one person for free.
    maybe you can buy your lettuce and cauliflower at Costco, where these are cheaper
    Ciel, macw1960, DaveP and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    $1.99 for 6 Golden Delicious organic apples on the reduced produce rack (Fortino's Ancaster) last week. Yes, I bought a pkg for that price!
    last week, bought 6 pounds of apples for $6.99
    works out to $1.17 for each pound
    Ciel, macw1960, DaveP and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by super807 View Post
    In winter, eating seasonally means root vegetables and vegetables that store well. But that's not how most people eat anymore, and we are paying the price for it (economically, and I would say environmentally).

It is possible to eat local food in winter. I am. It includes lots of good storage items like carrots, beets, rutabagas, cabbage, potatoes, onions, etc. but also fresh locally grown greens like lettuce, spinach, herbs, kale, chard, etc. I buy directly from a farmer who in addition to good storage sheds has green houses with heated soil and so can grow greens in winter. It's through a CSA (community supported agriculture) program. The vegetables I get are much nicer than what can be found at the grocery store right now. I'm willing to pay for the fresh locally grown food. And while to some it would seem like a lot of money, given where the cost of produce went this winter, I think I got a very good deal If you want fresh local food, look up CSA for your community.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by maggiespice View Post
    I buy the 28kg Rooster Brand Rice for $25.00 a bag (sale price and-one of the best brands IMO). I pick up about 2-3 bags at a time. No point in fooling around when I use it up so fast!
    @maggiespice , who sells huge Rooster rice? We go through rice really fast (typical Asian household) and that's a good price! I want in on those sales too
    Ciel, DaveP and toronto166 like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I pick it up at the Superstore. I guess that would include Extra foods too. It was on sale just before Christmas and I think it went on again after as well.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

It should be on sale soon for Chinese New Year as well, that is when I stock up!!
    Ciel, macw1960, DaveP and 2 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    maybe you can buy your lettuce and cauliflower at Costco, where these are cheaper
    hopefully the prices are good for them next time I go. Cause I love me my couliflower in stirfry :D
    Last edited by jennypooh123; Mon, Jan 4th, 2016 at 07:37 PM.
    http://www.prizerebel.com/index.php?r=6028042
    I Earned $2200 with clixsense in less than a year, join with me and I can help you earn too
    http://www.clixsense.com/?3753520

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Luckily our Co-op here has their brand of rice go on sale once in a while, I try to get it at a BOGO - I think about a month ago it was around $3 for a 1.8kg bag for xtra long grain - so two bags for that price. I pay more to get short grain (which I only use for cabbage rolls).
    I like rice, but we don't use tons. When I bought a huge bag once - to try save money - after a while it was awful - sounds funny, but like it was dried out?

I buy their house brand of barley and kasha as well - WAY cheaper than anywhere else - since those darned (shakes fist...) hipsters have jumped on the bandwagon. Yah, when I was growing up, it was 'peasant' food, lol!
    Last edited by Natalka; Mon, Jan 4th, 2016 at 09:46 PM.
    Ciel, macw1960, DaveP and 3 others like this.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information