• 2 Post By Candini
  • 4 Post By toronto166
  • 1 Post By harbie
  • 2 Post By Purdee
  • 1 Post By jasperandchar
  • 2 Post By grumpy
  • 1 Post By Springbreeze
  • 1 Post By adelahorn3

Thread: Baby shower gift ideas that are unique?

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

I have a baby shower to attend shortly and I`m definitely out of the loop as far as baby stuff goes.

Whats new and neat? I was thinking something from the honest company like a package or subscription but idk

Help? thanks
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    macw1960 and torontogal12 like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

basket of books!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

I often gave silver dollars or coin sets from the Mint. Obviously the year of the child's birth.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

My go to gifts, not super unique but they end up getting used lol.
    Fisher Price Oceans Wonder aquarium
    Jelly Cat stuffed animals(pricey but super soft)
    Diapers(I try to do a mix of the smaller bags in case the baby can't use a certian brand)
    Sophie the giraffe
    Board books
    Bumbo seats(because they really don't get used for that long unless your baby doesn't have any sort of thighs, and I remember being pi$$ed that I paid $65 bucks for something dd used for 6 weeks until she didn't fit in it if it have been a gift I wouldn't have cared lol)
    Activity mats
    Different kinds of baby wash/creams etc

Also I don't know if they're sold in Canada but Freshly Picked Moccasins seem to be the big thing in baby footwear these days. Maybe a speciality baby store would have them(they're around $50 us, but I have friends that get them in the States and swear by them)
    Last edited by Lyssia510; Wed, Jan 6th, 2016 at 11:47 PM.
    harbie, macw1960, Candini and 2 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Diaper cake isn't that hard to make and mix it up with different size/brands of diapers.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

I'm in the same boat, except I have to mail my gift a couple provinces away to my SIL. So hoping to keep it fairly light and not too bulky.

My go to gift is usually nice crib sheets. Those are usually pricey and not something a first time mom would buy many of and extras really come in handy. I remember only buying 3-4 and it felt like I was washing them daily.

I saw a post on Pinterest about an organized folder gift (it had spots for all paperwork, appointments, keepsakes, etc).

I'll have to keep checking this thread for ideas.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Is it tacky to give some gifts for mom too? I like the book basket for the baby, but what about a pampering basket for mom with soaps/shampoos/nail polish
    harbie, macw1960, Candini and 1 others like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    Is it tacky to give some gifts for mom too? I like the book basket for the baby, but what about a pampering basket for mom with soaps/shampoos/nail polish
    Truuue. I like that.
    macw1960 and torontogal12 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

@ torontogal12 - Last few baby showers I went to were all DIY gifts. I made a diaper cake for the baby...I also crafted the baby's name in wood and scrapbook paper. Did a few DIY picture frames and finally, I made a "hospital survival kit" for the mother. I just filled up a large basket with things for the mother for her hospital stay. The three women I have given them to have really appreciated the baskets. You can find the survival kit when doing a google search. @Candini - baby and mother will be happy with whatever you bring.
    harbie, macw1960, Candini and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

I do diaper cakes and other diaper things like tricycles and quads. They are easy and they look so neat and people are in awe of them, plus it's stuff they will use for sure.

I also always make a small gift basket for either mom with candles, bubble bath and chocolates or a small gift for the older sibling based on what they like to play with.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

i had a baby shower at work and was given stuffs for both the baby and myself. I really liked the massage oil - earth mama angel baby - mama to be oil. It's for the growing belly. Didn't even know such thing existed.
    harbie and toronto166 like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

When I attend a baby shower I think outside of the box per say, I don't get them baby clothes, blankets, wash cloths etc as they often get lots.

I fast forward 4-6 months, I buy baby cereal (pablum), baby food, baby teething cookies and laundry detergent for the baby. I will admit I am generally the only person that buys this stuff but people tend to compliment the gifts/idea.

It's something that they don't generally receive and it's something that they will have on hand for later.

Good luck, lots of great advice mentioned above.
    Lyssia510 likes this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

someone have me a pandora bracelet with the baby carriage charm. Such a nice gift and was not a baby thing but for ME - so yes, it's awesome to give a mommy gift.

Otherwise, I was so happy to get receiving blankets, a nursing cover, even useful breastfeeding stuff like Brest friend/breast pads, anything... check if they have a gift registry on babies r us. agree that diapers and books are great too. You can always include the gift receipt.

Wubbanub pacifier. Brown dog. it's amazing.

And you can always buy online at well.ca so you don't have to go to the store. PM me if you want a promo code for 10 off $40 and never used well.ca before (super fast delivery!). A couple magazine subscriptions would be really cool too cuz she'll need something to read when breastfeeding!
    Last edited by grumpy; Wed, Jul 13th, 2016 at 04:59 PM.
    Ciel and Candini like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post

Not tacky at all. I didn't receive any gifts for me at my shower but would have loved it. The hospital survival kit would have been awesome. Even more then a pampering basket, me personally I would have loved some freezer meals. With my first child I was so lost and overwhelmed the first few weeks that cooking often took a back seat to everything else so having something on hand that I could have just popped into the oven would have been amazing. Instead I relied on hubby to cook(he is not very good) or ordered take out.

I don't know bout unique gifts but some gifts I liked getting were clothes in larger sizes. While the tiny little outfits are cute I really didn't use them. The first 3-6 months were mostly sleepers. Extra crib sheets great idea. I was given a copy of a book that had been a childhood favorite of my friend. She wrote a personal note inside and I thought that was really sweet. If you want to do something extra special and can afford it you could have photos done. Also kind of a first aid basket also a great idea. Baby Tylenol, baby advil, something to take there temp. etc..
    Candini likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

More great and inexpensive ideas for baby shower gifts here: motherhow.com/15-best-baby-shower-gifts-what-to-give-for-a-mother-to-be/
    Ciel likes this.

Thread Information