User Tag List

Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By tjthemanto
  • 3 Post By maggiespice
  • 1 Post By tjthemanto
  • 3 Post By brunt
  • 1 Post By cbocean
  • 1 Post By greeny

Thread: UFile and Turbo Tax Refund $$$ - Numbers don't match - Big Difference !

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

This is not for me. This is a tax return for someone else ( couple ) , which I am doing.

I have entered the exact same info in both the software and double checked it 2-3 times. But there is a $ 400 difference in the calculations of both the software Pretty big amount and difference. Haven't missed anything or any slips or forms, but still the difference between the two

Ufile is giving me $ 400 less than Turbo Tax

Now I am not sure, which one is right and which one I should file with . Now just wondering if you can completely just trust just one software to do the return properly , or if its better to always double check with another software

Imagine you just used one software say UFile or Turbo Tax or Simple Tax etc for your entire family & completely trusted it. Now how do you even know that it calculated it right and there were NO calculation errors or glitches or bugs in it.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    dededi and Davetherave like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

And furthermore if there is an error with the program itself, will CCRA make a person pay back the amount if there is an overpayment??????
    tjthemanto, dededi and Davetherave like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by maggiespice View Post
    And furthermore if there is an error with the program itself, will CCRA make a person pay back the amount if there is an overpayment??????
    CRA should have their own version of their own tax software. Instead of this third party nonsense, where there could be errors and glitches and your sensitive info lies with some private company.

CRA as is spends millions in printing Tax forms & packages, so shouldn't be hard for them to have a tax software themselves. They can even charge for it and make millions out of it. Good for taxpayers anf for them. No need to wait for some private third party software to be certified and approved by CRA.
    Davetherave likes this.

tightwad and proud of it! brunt's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by maggiespice View Post
    Absolutely yes.

You owe what the law states, despite what your software says that you owe.

That being said, an outright error in the software would in all likelihood be caught as you file, and would be immediately reflected in the Notice of Assessment that you receive as all returns go through CCRA's process to catch major problems. When things come up later, it is usually due to a disallowed deduction due to missing receipts or a claim that CCRA, upon inspection, decides to reject.
    Colsgirl, csaund21 and Davetherave like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Same thing happening for me. $400 in the difference.
    dededi likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I should also note it was Turbo Tax that is giving me $400 more and I already bought Ufile for $16 so I am pretty annoyed.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I used Ufile this year, as I have in years past. Never thought there could be problems with the program. This year Ufile got the return wrong. CRA just assessed it and is giving back MORE money than what Ufile assessed. Glad to know someone at CRA did their job ! I agree, that the CRA should have their own tax services on-line.
    Colsgirl likes this.

FLA
    Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

With these many problems, Ufile should be shutdown.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have used turbo tax for years and it has worked out to the penny. Now I will have to watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Information