User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Money Maker with Koodo (Moto X Play or Samsung Grand Prime or Moto G 3rd Gen)

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by wavi View Post
    it's not with PC mobile.. it's with Koodo but I signed up at The Mobile Shop counter in Superstore.. they carry different networks and have different offers.. and the only reason I signed up is for free phone.. once 90 days are over, I will cancel and keep the phone.. this phones is retail at $240ish..
    Just curious - after the 3 months are over, which network will you go with? Since you mentioned the unlock code at ebay, will you be using a SIM-card from a different carrier? I carry an unlocked phone and had a pretty bad experience with one of the local networks.
    dededi and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    159 (100%)

To all with referral links for koodo please stop sending me a pm. if I want the offer I will click the link in your signature. My question above was just curiosity.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Couponcrinch View Post
    Just curious - after the 3 months are over, which network will you go with? Since you mentioned the unlock code at ebay, will you be using a SIM-card from a different carrier? I carry an unlocked phone and had a pretty bad experience with one of the local networks.
    Please don't get me wrong, Koodo is not a bad network at all (since it is under Telus) - I have old Bell plan that I am paying month to month.. If you want to stay with Koodo please do so..

I have heard some good things about Public Mobile lately.. it is also under Telus network.. Chatr & Mobilicity are good choice too (they are under Rogers)
    mandy403, dededi and Davetherave like this.
    Get $50 Koodo Bill Credit (until Mar 31, 2016)

https://referafriend.koodomobile.com/2ORuGmE

Trading Score
    159 (100%)

The mobile shop has recently changed the pc points you get. They are now offering150000 pc points not 175000
    dededi likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Last edited by wavi; Mon, Mar 21st, 2016 at 12:38 PM.
    dededi likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Two quesitons:

Where are you determining the up-front cost (Tab) for these phones? Nothing on the Mobility Shop's website says what that cost is.

Where are you reading that you can cancel without penalty after 90 days? - Everything I'm reading says you need a 2 year commitment to get any of these bonuses. (The points, the $50, etc)

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I just came back from The Mobile Shop inside my Superstore... and the terms outlined in the original post are no longer valid are if they were at the time of the original post... here's what I learned:

DELETED ORIGINAL CONTENT...

I learned that the guy I spoke to this morning didnt know what he was talking about... see below post for retraction.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Sat, Mar 19th, 2016 at 05:05 PM.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    Two quesitons:

Where are you determining the up-front cost (Tab) for these phones? Nothing on the Mobility Shop's website says what that cost is.

Where are you reading that you can cancel without penalty after 90 days? - Everything I'm reading says you need a 2 year commitment to get any of these bonuses. (The points, the $50, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    I just came back from The Mobile Shop inside my Superstore... and the terms outlined in the original post areno longer valid are if they were at the time of the original post... here's what I learned:

There is only 150,000 points offered for the Grand Prime, not 175,000.

Just for clarity for all others reading: You actually have to sign up for a 2-year term in order to get the points... and stay on for 90 days to keep the bonuses. Once you can cancel (if you cancel) you pay off your Tab balance to Koodo. You don't pay The Mobile Shop for the phone at all.

You can't go on a seasonal hold until AFTER your first billing cycle. You *may* be able to do it early, but there is no guarantee you can. The minimum plan offered at The Mobile Shop is a $35/mo plan. (you cant get the $25 plan at the Mobile Shop) So you're upwards of $35 for your first month, and then $15 for each month for the next two months...

UPDATED: Samsung Grand Prime Math (March 19th, 2016)

$240 Tab <-- if this was $120 before, it isnt anymore.
    $5 Sim Card
    $35 for minimum first month calling plan
    $30 Seasonal Hold (for 2 months)

$310 (Before Taxes)
    $350.30 (After ON Taxes)

-$50 Referral Credit
    -$150 PCPoints Value

The phone will cost you $150.30 after all is said and done.
    You can look at the tab directly from Koodo website.

Samsung Grand Prime ($5/month for 24 months = $120): https://www.koodomobile.com/phones/samsung-grand-prime
    Moto G 3rd Gen ($5/month for 24 months = $120): https://www.koodomobile.com/phones/moto-g-3rd-gen

The points offered by The Mobile Shop was 175,000 for Samsung Grand Prime and are now reduced to 150,000. Where as the points for Moto G 3rd Gen were 150,000 and now it is 175,000. You can check the latest offer on TMS website: https://www.themobileshop.ca/best-cell-phones.

There is no commitment with Koodo when you sign up. They divide the cost of tab by 24 months for you to pay that portion every month. You can cancel with them any day without any penalty and pay the remaining tab balance. Although if you got gift cards or PCPoints, you can't cancel before 90 days.

When you will sign up Koodo agreement; they will make you initial on one of the sections where it says:

Are there conditions with any offers I receive from Koodo?

Yes, some special benefits when activating your serive at Koodo come with conditions. Any bonus gift you receive is yours after 90 days as a Koodo customer; if you cancel service or switch to Koodo's prepaid service before then, you agree to return the gift to Koodo or pay the value of it.

https://i.imgur.com/aHkgDSI.jpg

In regards to Seasonal hold; I was able to call Customer service and put it on Seasonal Hold next day. Someone I know was not able to get it done on the phone and waited for there billing cycle (which is 7-10 days) and was able to change using self serve (online). That's why I had $10 prorated cost in my calculation.

The minimum plan currently is $25 from Koodo (limited time): https://www.koodomobile.com/rate-pla...Btn_Shop_Plans

UPDATED: Samsung Grand Prime Math (March 19th, 2016)

$120 Tab (check Koodo Website)
    $5 Sim Card
    $25 for first month (for calculation purposes; even though you can change it in 7-10 days)

$180 (Before Taxes)
    $203.4 (After ON Taxes)

-$50 Referral Credit
    -$150 PCPoints Value

The phone will cost you $3.40 after all is said and done. For AB; you make $11.00

Moto G 3rd Generation Math (March 19th, 2016)

$120 Tab (check Koodo Website)
    $5 Sim Card
    $25 for first month (for calculation purposes; even though you can change it in 7-10 days)

$180 (Before Taxes)
    $203.4 (After ON Taxes)

-$50 Referral Credit
    -$175 PCPoints Value

You will make $21.6 to take the phone.
    Last edited by wavi; Sat, Mar 19th, 2016 at 03:57 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

OK, so... I learned that the guy this morning had no clue what he was talking about.

I had looked at the Koodo pages before, and when I asked the guy at TMS (The Mobile Shop) this morning, had no clue what I was referring to in regards to a $120 Tab for the phone... and said the $25 promotion was an online-only plan.

After reading your post, I visited the links you posted and decided to add the phone and calling plan to my 'cart' on Koodo, and print that page out.

Then I took the page in to the TMS to see if they could basically offer the same plan. I spoke to a different guy this afternoon, and he confirmed that he could offer me everything you had posted, including giving me the 150,000 PC Points (which are now sitting in my account).

SOOOOooooo... I heartily apologize for doubting you before... I was only going on the information that the rep was telling me this morning and showing me on his screen. I had nothing more to go on than his info, which was completely inaccurate.

So thanks for the info and the links... and dare I say "Koodos" for posting the offer.

Incidentally, If you're interested in a decent unlock service, try unlock2cell.com
    They're Canadian based and the cost is $14.99 CDN for the Grand Prime.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Sat, Mar 19th, 2016 at 05:48 PM.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

@bhlombardy I am glad you were able to benefit from this deal... once you login to your online self serve, click usage tab and you will see your current bill cycle e.g., February 29, 2016 - March 28, 2016 — 8 day(s) left

on March 29th, you should be able to switch your plan to seasonal hold online..

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sorry to lower the collective IQ of this thread with my presence... but I am really confused. I don't buy a cell phone often (still using one I bought in 2013) and I have never used any carrier other than Wind so I don't know anything about koodo or how they work... I badly need a new modern cellphone though.

What is a "tab"? When you say $120 tab, that means that I pay the $120 and then I get an account with a balance of $120 and each month that balance is reduced to pay my monthly bill? Is that right? So if I cancel after 90 days but my $120 tab hasn't been used, does koodo transfer this money to my bank account?

Also I assume I can't get the $50 referral credit if I don't know anybody to refer?

Also I'm not entirely sure what PC points are (I assume they can be used to pay for things at some stores), is there a way to convert them into cash if I don't shop at stores that take PC points? Sorry for the dumb questions but I really need a new phone.
    Davetherave likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Sorry to lower the collective IQ of this thread with my presence... but I am really confused. I don't buy a cell phone often (still using one I bought in 2013) and I have never used any carrier other than Wind so I don't know anything about koodo or how they work... I badly need a new modern cellphone though.

What is a "tab"? When you say $120 tab, that means that I pay the $120 and then I get an account with a balance of $120 and each month that balance is reduced to pay my monthly bill? Is that right? So if I cancel after 90 days but my $120 tab hasn't been used, does koodo transfer this money to my bank account?

Also I assume I can't get the $50 referral credit if I don't know anybody to refer?

Also I'm not entirely sure what PC points are (I assume they can be used to pay for things at some stores), is there a way to convert them into cash if I don't shop at stores that take PC points? Sorry for the dumb questions but I really need a new phone.
    first of all, these are not dumb questions at all.. we are all here to help each other get the best possible deals out there..

when you buy phone from koodo, it will be locked to koodo network and if you need to use that phone on Wind or Bell, you will need to unlock the phone. The unlock process is very easy and simple but will cost you anywhere $3 - $15 for the unlock code depending on the brand of phone. I can explain the unlock process if you wish or you can watch youtube videos on how to the unlock phone..

Moto G 3rd Gen ($3.10): http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Motorola-Moto...MAAOSw5VFWLzNi

Samsung Grand Prime ($15.50): http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Samsung-Galax...EAAOSwhcJWM4~A

Tab is the cost of the phone which you will be paying over 24 months period in installments (no interest but taxes apply). There is no commitment with Koodo and you can cancel any time prior to 24 months but will need to pay the remaining tab balance. In case of both Samsung Grand Prime and Moto G 3rd Gen, the tab is $120. It means you will pay 120/24 = $5/month on top of your voice and data plan. The cheapest voice plan is $25 right now at koodo: https://www.koodomobile.com/rate-pla...Btn_Shop_Plans

You can get the referral credit of $50 if you know someone in your family with Koodo. You can also see below in my signature and register if you like. Make sure to use same name and email on the registration link and when getting the phone.

PC Points is a point based reward program with Loblaw, Superstore, Zehrs, Maxi, Extra Foods etc. You can sign up for PC card for free at any of those stores. Every 1,000 pc points are worth $1. You can buy anything from those stores and use the points to pay. I am not certain but I think you can buy prepaid visa card with pc points as well.

This deal is available at The Mobile Shop, which is kiosk only located inside Loblaw, Superstore etc. If you go with Samsung Grand Prime, it will be 150,000 pc points ($150) and if you go with Moto G 3rd Gen, it will be 175,000 pc points ($175).

With this deal, since you will be getting PC Points, you must stay with koodo for 90 days. Or else they can ask you to pay the value of pc points back to them. You can sign up for cheapest plan ($25/month) when you activate and after 7-9 days, go online on self serve and change plan to seasonal hold ($15/month).

NOTE: these phones are not high end phones by any standards.. don't expect the performance to be top notch.. good for normal use..
    Last edited by wavi; Sun, Mar 20th, 2016 at 11:59 PM.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Hope those in the know don't mind a few more silly questions?

Neighbour is interested in this, but wants basic details (I've sent her the above info). She uses a phone for work (Blackberry), but wants a personal phone when not working (workplace changed plans, so more limited now, she used to be able to use work phone at home). She has a landline, so phone would not be used that often.

Is either phone compatible with the shopping apps (CO51, etc)? I'm assuming yes. Are there any limitations to what they can do?

Assuming all goes well and one cancels the contract with Koodo, can one use the phone with a pay-as-you-go plan? Can the phone be used simply by tapping into local wifi without being connected to a phone plan? Will the sim card that comes with the phone let me use another plan or do I need another sim card?

Sorry for the really really basic questions, last phone I had was a flip phone from back in the dark ages.
    dededi and Davetherave like this.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Andit View Post
    Hope those in the know don't mind a few more silly questions?

Neighbour is interested in this, but wants basic details (I've sent her the above info). She uses a phone for work (Blackberry), but wants a personal phone when not working (workplace changed plans, so more limited now, she used to be able to use work phone at home). She has a landline, so phone would not be used that often.

Is either phone compatible with the shopping apps (CO51, etc)? I'm assuming yes. Are there any limitations to what they can do?

Assuming all goes well and one cancels the contract with Koodo, can one use the phone with a pay-as-you-go plan? Can the phone be used simply by tapping into local wifi without being connected to a phone plan? Will the sim card that comes with the phone let me use another plan or do I need another sim card?

Sorry for the really really basic questions, last phone I had was a flip phone from back in the dark ages.
    Both of these phones came in 2015 and are entry-level phones.. they both are compatible with CO51.. they don't have any limitations but of course they are not super fast and high performance phones..

When you sign up with Koodo, you will get a trial period. You have fifteen (15) days to return the phone and cancel your service without any penalty. If you decide to return the phone, make sure you have not used more than 30 voice minutes or 50 text message or 50 MB of data on the phone. See the agreement: https://imgur.com/aHkgDSI

The phone is locked to Koodo/Telus. You can go on pay as you go with Koodo or Telus and use the phone with no problem but you still need a new SIM card. If you need to use the phone for any other network (Rogers, Bell etc); you will need to unlock the phone. I know it sounds a lot of work but unlocking is very simple and easy process but requires a unlock code that will cost you $3-$15 depending on the phone. Please see the post above for links to ebay for unlocking. Once unlocked; you can use the phone with any network that accepts those frequencies in the entire world.. All you need is a new SIM card for the company you will want to use the service.. SIM card cost in Canada is about $5 to $10 depending on the company.

if you don't want to get any service, your phone can still be connected to WiFi and you will have internet on your phone. All your phone functions will work; camera, calculator etc, but you won't have voice calling and text messaging.
    Davetherave likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks OP. got a moto x play on sat. like the phone so far. The TMS rep only gave me 200$ worth of points he didnot match the trade in of 75$. Well, I could have negotiated more but didn't. kicking myself for it.
    Davetherave likes this.
    Koodo - gets 25$ for both of us
    https://referafriend.koodomobile.com/7QdCWWt

Get Free Gift Cards & Cash for everyday things you do online
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Swaggycindy

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information