• 1 Post By seylz_gurl
  • 1 Post By veggies
  • 1 Post By bhlombardy
  • 1 Post By Zonny

Thread: Cell Phones at Costco

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm upgrading my phone and wondering if there is any advantage or disadvantage to buying your cell phone and plan from Costco. Anyone have any experience they can share about purchasing a plan there?
    This thread is currently associated with: Costco
    Last edited by seylz_gurl; Wed, Apr 13th, 2016 at 01:25 PM.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Costco in itself does NOT sell cellphone. The agents ther are just using the space to sell cell products to customer with the different carriers. So, it's no different than if you bought the phone at the ground concourse of a mall where you have say...rogers, bell, koodo, virgin

If you really want a network that is hassle free and allows you to change your plan monthly based on your usage, consider Koodo.
    mulock and seylz_gurl like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I Have had my last 3 phones set up from Costco and love it. My last phone (in October) came with $175.00 in Costco Gift Cards and I lowered my plan by $5 and added so much more to my plan (free long distance/call display/voicemail) etc that I didn't have with my other plan.
    seylz_gurl likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

^^Thanks Veggies. Costco one comes with some perks ie Costco gift card, good warranty policy but wondering if better to go right to the provider.
    Last edited by seylz_gurl; Wed, Apr 13th, 2016 at 01:50 PM.
    mulock likes this.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yes those perks are common. For example, superstore earlier in the new year gave $150 in store gift cards, but again once you get the phone, it becomes your having to deal directly with the cell company.

Quote Originally Posted by seylz_gurl View Post
    ^Thanks Veggies. Costco one comes with some perks ie Costco gift card, good warranty policy but wondering if better to go right to the provider.
    mulock likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

^^Thnx for your input Frugalbigmama, yes the gift cards are a nice perk. Did you buy their warranty policy or not? ty
    Last edited by seylz_gurl; Wed, Apr 13th, 2016 at 01:56 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

^^Thnx for your input Frugalbigmama, yes the gift cards are a nice perk. Did you buy their warranty policy or not? ty
    I have in the past but didn't this time.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Last time it was a deal for $50 for warranty and if I didn't use it ( I didn't) I received 1/2 back on a gc. I don't really believe in warranty- I take my chances

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

^yep, usually when I don't buy warranty that's when I need it lol!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm upgrading my phone and wondering if there is any advantage or disadvantage to buying your cell phone and plan from Costco. Anyone have any experience they can share about purchasing a plan there?
    There are in-store incentives to getting your phone from the kiosk inside of Costco... there are often promos to getting a Costco gift card (well worth it if you get the right promo) and a $50 bonus Costco card if you get a $99 warranty plan*.

Also, you always get a bonus charger. This is typically most often a charger for use in your vehicle -- however since Apple doesnt condone car charging, iphone purchases get a bonus lightning cable.

The calling/text/data plans with the carriers are no different than any other offerings you can get at any other phone re-seller. The plans offered are the same no matter where you get your phone from, given whatever current offerings are. However, Costco can offer bonus minutes onto whatever plan you select. (see current promotions for those bonus minutes, right now it's 50 Canada-to-USA long distance minutes)
    My only concern is that they only offer services from either Bell (and Bell partners, Sasktel or Virgin) or Rogers (and Rogers partners, Fido and Chatr).

---

*More info on Extended+ warranty... Before you go knocking the warranty, keep in mind the following:
    -- You (ultimately) pay $50 for the plan for 24 months (since you get $50 back in Costco cash card) - Compare to protection plans with your carrier will otherwise cost between $6-$8/month -- that's $144 for 24 months
    -- The protection plan from Costco covers accidental breakage, drops, spills, cracked screens.
    -- The deductible is only $50 versus $75 (or more, depending on the phone) with the carrier plans.
    seylz_gurl likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I agree with what was said about incentives, cash cards, etc. I bought phones for DH and I both last year, and the rebate you got in Costco GCs was substantial, more than I would have gotten elsewhere. I thought they would give them to me after I paid for the phone, but no - I paid for most of the phone with them. We're with Bell and I got my phones connected through Bell there. And yes, I should have gotten the warranty. DH got Mountain Dew on his when it was about four months old and it was toast. I didn't think it would cover those things so we didn't get the warranty. But it does.
    seylz_gurl likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

^yeah really mulling over the warranty. thnx everybody for the great information.
    Last edited by seylz_gurl; Thu, Apr 14th, 2016 at 04:03 PM.

Thread Information