User Tag List

Page 42 of 49 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast
Like Tree3103Likes

Thread: Dear 2016: I promise to do better this year! To get healthier! Let the games begin!!!

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I bought 6 cartons " for the kids" ha ha !!! 3 chocolate and 3 strawberry..... yes, I have now promised ( myself ) to not even bother with it. I knew better you know, but.........
    Lynn49 likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    I bought 6 cartons " for the kids" ha ha !!! 3 chocolate and 3 strawberry..... yes, I have now promised ( myself ) to not even bother with it. I knew better you know, but.........
    I know, Hon...we're not gods and we do have our little cravings. But go to that site I sent you...you won't be craving it ANYmore...
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Thank you Lynn, I'm convinced birthday cake doesn't have calories. Okay, I'm telling myself that since it only happens once a year. haha

Oh walks my hubby LOVE strawberry milk. I was making dinner last week and put the last of it in a glass in the freezer so it would be nice and chilled for him and forgot it there. Needless to say he had a kind of strawberry frosty. haha
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Sharing an interesting recipe we tried last week: Sweet 'n Sour Chicken over cauliflower rice...

Prepare the cauliflower by using a food processor or grater, and finely grating it. Set aside.

3 ingredients: mix together 1 jar low or no extra sugar added marmalade (we found a Smucker's brand that just said, "orange"), 1/3C 'light' soy sauce, and 1 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar or mirin. Stir together and set aside.

Slice chicken breasts (we did 4) into cubes and fry them up in coconut oil (or oil of your choice) until no longer pink.

Place cauliflower rice in a pan and stir-fry it in your choice of oil until done (we like bits of it slightly toasted, but your choice)

Stir the sauce into the chicken and continue to boil it or have it on a good summer until it's thickened up to your liking. (if there's juice in the pan with the chicken, drain it off before adding the sauce)

Plate the cauliflower rice, top it with the chicken mixture and voila! An easy dinner that feels like you're cheating!
    TaraF, Angela273 and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

Yum @Lynn49 . I might just have to try that this weekend.

Eating properly has been a bit hard since we are having open houses to sell. I have been trying to make healthy choices when we have had to go out for dinner. Now I just need to get my walking up but it's been hard when I'm exhausted and sore from caulking trim, painting baseboards and moving things into storage. Man! I can't wait until this is over.

My new obsession is quinoa. I was able to stock up and fill my OXO container with the organic multi coloured quinoa when the bulk section had it on sale for 99c instead of the usual $2.19. I've been using it in the roasted butternut squash and kale salad that I've done but also now in a Mexican salad. The best part (besides the delish taste) is that it's a one pan meal! Basically it's quinoa,black beans,corn (if you want), tomatoes, and spices. Easy peasy. It's finished with diced avacaodo and salsa if you choose.

This was dinner the other night.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  115.0 KB

It is a quinoa taco. I used the leftovers to make tacos. I did use a taco shell and top with a bit of sour cream and cheese but I also used sprouts. DH looooooooves his tacos so it was a nice compromise. It really tastes so good. I'm also going to make this but use lettuce to make a lettuce wrap.

No weight loss numbers to post since I have not been near a scale!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

They look absolutely wonderful @harbie ! Our kind of quick dinner...love the beans, sprouts, great idea, thanks!
    harbie and Angela273 like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    I know, Hon...we're not gods and we do have our little cravings. But go to that site I sent you...you won't be craving it ANYmore...
    oh @Lynn49 now I remember!! I saw that footage somewhere before, it is all so sickening and terribly sad to see that suffering. Will things ever change?
    Lynn49 likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

oh @Lynn49 now I remember!! I saw that footage somewhere before, it is all so sickening and terribly sad to see that suffering. Will things ever change?
    Sadly, @walkonby , only if people stop feeding milk to their kids and the PR from the big dairy producers continue to pound it into parents' heads that milk is a good source of Vitamin D, calcium...phht.

Those can be found in many other, more healthier food options...Current recommendations calling for three servings of dairy a day are more about politics and industry lobbying than they are about science. Considering that the average American's fiber intake is paltry, I would suggest making more room for foods that offer both calcium and fiber, like almonds, chickpeas, chard, kale, broccoli, collard greens, and tempeh. Most plant-based milk alternatives are fortified with calcium and, just like dairy milk, fortified with vitamin D.”

http://www.healthline.com/health/foo...good-for-you#2

It's just that milk is easier to get into kids (and yet they add sugary syrups to them!!) than cooking whole foods. We were duped when our kids were young, too, unfortunately.

But many scientific studies have shown an assortment of detrimental health effects directly linked to milk consumption. And the most surprising link is that not only do we barely absorb the calcium in cow’s milk (especially if pasteurized), but to make matters worse, it actually increases calcium loss from the bones. What an irony this is!
    http://saveourbones.com/osteoporosis-milk-myth/

Big bucks ... that's all the milk industry is after: it's healthy for THEM!!

walkonby and beckie.c like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I cannot believe how little milk I buy as it is. Only DS drinks it really, unless it is chocolate or strawberry, THEN poor DD has her moments with the cookies on the side. I am an enabler!!
    Lynn49 and beckie.c like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

January, February and March were awesome for dropping the pounds but my April efforts have been less than 100% so a dismal weight loss month for me. ( My own doing so no one to blame ) This week was a mere .5 of a pound lost once again. I keep saying at least I have not gone back up, but going forward I will need to climb way up and stay high on the " wagon " during May if I want to see those encouraging losses. Hope everyone will be fighting tough too!!
    Angela273 and beckie.c like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

January, February and March were awesome for dropping the pounds but my April efforts have been less than 100% so a dismal weight loss month for me. ( My own doing so no one to blame ) This week was a mere .5 of a pound lost once again. I keep saying at least I have not gone back up, but going forward I will need to climb way up and stay high on the " wagon " during May if I want to see those encouraging losses. Hope everyone will be fighting tough too!!
    I was down .3, so no prize there, either, @walkonby . I'm with you wrt pedal to the metal, Honey.
    I questioned my WW gal about the fact that I felt I really believed I ate well, yet my clothes are falling off me. She said, "Oh! You're one if those!" Lol. I'm what?! "One of those who don't always show a loss immediately, but your weight is shifting your figure, so you're feeling it in your clothing...keep it up and the loss will catch up with you.." Sounded weird to me, but I'll take it.

I'm with you, Walks....I stopped journaling, too, and I'm guessing that makes a difference, too.

So.....onwards through April, with renewed determination!!

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Hello all! Been a while since I checked in. Had to catch up, but it looks like everyone is still doing great!

Its been a busy few weeks. I've been out of town for work and DH and I have been doing some updates around the house and yard. I've missed the gym more than I have gone lately but re-establishing the commitment this week now that life is back to 'normal' again.

Those quinoa tacos look awesome Harbie, I'm going to have to try those since DH and I need to cut back a bit on the red meat.

Went into the Doctor a couple of weeks ago, to check out a lump under my chin that I had been neglecting for way longer than I should have. After blood work and an ultrasound, I'm fortunate to find out that it is nothing more than a couple of enlarged lymph nodes likely due to inflammation since that was high in my blood work. They may need to be removed eventually, but nothing to worry about right now. I'm really good at giving DH heck when I think he needs to go to the Dr, so I had to eat my own advice and take a better approach to my health that way as well.

We are having some really beautiful weather here this spring! Hope everyone has a great week!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Hi, @beckie.c !! Nice to see you here once again! Sounds like a busy life...I suppose like most of us.
    Walkonby and I haven't exactly been strict with ourselves lately, unfortunately and boy it doesn't take long to feel pudgy again!!
    Now that Easter and Mother's Day are over, it's time to get back to business and keep away from the carbs I've been craving! Honestly, one whiff of a cracker and I'm diving into the box!!! So no more crackers are allowed in the house. Thank goodness, like you and your Hubby, Walks' Hubby too, we can set certain rules wrt what groceries come into the house. It makes it so much easier!!

Keep your goals firmly in the forefront or plastered on your fridge, whatever works, and good luck, Hon!!

Angela273 and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

TaraF, Angela273 and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I should put this on MY fridge!!
    TaraF and Angela273 like this.

Page 42 of 49 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast

Thread Information