User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Overcharged at A&W

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So, I havent had the opportunity to check and see if this holds true at other locations, but here's my story.

As a preface: A&W coupons are regionally priced, so your coupon may vary from the one I'm about to mention... But mine is quite clearly $12.99

-

From a recent A&W Coupon booklet I received in the mail, I have a coupon for2 Chubby Chicken sandwiches, 2 fries, and 2 regular drinks... for $12.99 + tax

$12.99 + 13% New Brunswick HST is $14.68

At the Drive thru at my neighbourhood A&W, I placed that order. No more, no less. I was told the final cost was $15.80.

I assumed she mis-spoke, so when I approached the window, she repeated "$15.80" -- I asked her to check her math because it should be $14.68. She read the screen and said "$12.99 plus tax is $15.80"

I said, "Then your computer is wrong... it should be $14.68"

She retrieved the manager on duty who repeated the above... to which I repeated my response, that it must be wrong. I also mentioned that I refused to be over-charged and suggest they check the math.

They voided the order, and started again... and repeated to me "$12.99 + tax is $15.80"

I said, "No, it's not. Please check it with a calculator if you must, but that is incorrect"

No dice. She wouldnt even try. All she could tell me was that since it's what's on the computer, it must be right.

I forfeited my order, went to a competitor restaurant nearby and emailed A&W the situation.

--

Incidentally, for you keeners you probably noticed already, this is exactly $1 more, plus NB HST than the coupon price.

While some will say "It's only $1 off " -- sure, to me it's $1. How about to every coupon that's being processed through there? Are they accurate? How much "extra" is A&W making off every transaction? (at least this location anyway)

They must be making a killing there.

Anyone else have any experience like this or offer some sort of rational explanation?
    --and before someone mentions is, the regular price of such a meal is not $13.99, so I'm not paying tax on the original price, then getting a discount. The savings with the coupon are well more than $1.
    This thread is currently associated with: A&W

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

sorry, wrong forum.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I thought I was having the same problem with McDonald's awhile back with their breakfast coupon. I can't remember the exact numbers now but I finally figured out the problem was DS's order. We'd order the 'two can dine' breakfast but he didn't want the coffee - he's ten, of course he didn't - so he'd order juice instead. They charge extra for the juice which, to me, doesn't make much sense. Juice is supposed to be a breakfast item, no?

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Could it be that since it is a couple you are being charged tax on the before coupon price?
    Davetherave likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

No. I thought of that but the "before coupon" price is far more than $1 more for that meal.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Handling fee?

I <3 SmartCanucks. Momof3girlies's Avatar
    Trading Score
    58 (100%)

Wow. That's very bad customer service. If I was the manager I would of given you the meal for free and taught the employees how to = the tax. #itpaystobesmart.
    GatineauGirl likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I know HST is being raised to 15% but not sure when it's happening.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

How strange. Has that happened to you at other A&W locations or only that single one? Is it an error in the computers at the franchise level, or an error chain-wide? May need to contact the owner?
    seylz_gurl and agarla like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

the new tax screws up everything maybe you should show the transactions and calculate the results to the manager or else just eat @ another place to eat

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

@HappyCouponSaver78 and @greeny ... There is no new tax in NB. We've had HST at 13% for quite a long time now. Yes, it IS going up to 15% but it hasnt yet -- and even if it had, 2% wouldnt account for a full $1.13 more. It would only add about 26c.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Sat, May 21st, 2016 at 09:43 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Momof3girlies View Post
    Wow. That's very bad customer service. If I was the manager I would of given you the meal for free and taught the employees how to = the tax. #itpaystobesmart.
    Well, the Manager on-duty was little help either. She just rang the order up again and told me "that's what the computer says, so it must be right" -- without checking it.

As it happens, I wrote A&W an email when I got home... the local store's GENERAL Manager called me today. He said that I was indeed correct and that when he tested it that the coupon was indeed being improperly calculated. He had it corrected in the system, and all is good. He's put my name down for a free meal combo on my next visit in apology for the way it was mis-handled and for bringing the error to his attention.

So all is well again.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Congrats for standing for what is right! I hate it when people say, "it's only a $1.00, or it's only .50 cents etc". I had one cashier roll her eyes and say it's only 10 cents, I said first of all,it's free for me, but for all the people that bought the product you made money off of them! Some times it's about the principle!!
    agarla likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Momof3girlies View Post
    Register is giving back to them the amount based on what is programmed into it. It's not the workers or the register that is calculating things incorrectly - it is whoever inputted the information into the registers to do the calculations that did it incorrectly.
    GracieAnne likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Whatever happened to that old adage-"the customer is always right"? And in this case you absolutely were!!! If they hadn't acknowledged it and given you a free meal you could report them to whomever in the gov't handles GST/HST overcharges-the sad thing is how much they must have overcharged their other customers-and who does their computer say gets that money-them or the Govt. Who knows!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information