User Tag List

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Like Tree723Likes

Thread: [Rant] Ontario Hydro-you used less energy so you have to pay more. Huh?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

^great tips Ciel, not using the AC here either this year even though the summer has been crazy hot, hanging out some laundry too whenever possible. Shwa and Ciel I will be taking advantage of library internet!
    Last edited by seylz_gurl; Tue, Aug 2nd, 2016 at 01:39 PM.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I will make an effort to turn off things we are not using (at least things that don't need to be reset each time) but in general I just do whatever. Laundry, vacuuming etc gets done in off-peak more because I have more time for housework off-peak but during the day the (window unit) AC has been on a lot and we have a fan going too
    barbis9 and Ciel like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Air conditioning has been going nonstop since end of May. Not looking forward to getting the bill! On the other hand Ontario must have increased consumption this summer so we should expect a rate decrease! Ha ha! Now we will get a notice that we have been bad and not conserving so they will increase rates as punishment for not conserving!
    Ciel, coupon girl, DaveP and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by scouponer View Post
    Air conditioning has been going nonstop since end of May. Not looking forward to getting the bill! On the other hand Ontario must have increased consumption this summer so we should expect a rate decrease! Ha ha! Now we will get a notice that we have been bad and not conserving so they will increase rates as punishment for not conserving!
    I read a tip from an Arizona site once. They use their air conditioning in the morning as everyone get ready to go to work or school. They turn off the a/c for the day and use blackout curtains in the house to stay cool. They turn on fans in the evening. Then they cool the house with a/c just before going to bed, turn off the a/c and use fans to move the cool air around at night.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I bought a bunch of solar lights at Home Depot that are really bright and I no longer need to turn on my porch light at night. I used empty small planters that I filled with pebbles to hold the solar lights which makes it easy to move them around. This really works for me as I kept leaving the porch light on all night.
    Ciel, DaveP and Shwa Girl like this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by scouponer View Post
    Yeah, that sounds about right.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    I bought a bunch of solar lights at Home Depot that are really bright and I no longer need to turn on my porch light at night. I used empty small planters that I filled with pebbles to hold the solar lights which makes it easy to move them around. This really works for me as I kept leaving the porch light on all night.
    great idea
    we have some that work even in the winter

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    I read a tip from an Arizona site once. They use their air conditioning in the morning as everyone get ready to go to work or school. They turn off the a/c for the day and use blackout curtains in the house to stay cool. They turn on fans in the evening. Then they cool the house with a/c just before going to bed, turn off the a/c and use fans to move the cool air around at night.
    I have this argument with him all the time, he wants to turn it down/off when it is cooler in the morning but I say cool it down when it is cheaper then we can run it on low just to keep it cool during the day.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    I have this argument with him all the time, he wants to turn it down/off when it is cooler in the morning but I say cool it down when it is cheaper then we can run it on low just to keep it cool during the day.
    I wonder does it work out cheaper to run it low all of the time or just when you need it?
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Well since day time is almost $0.10/kWh more I imagine using it off-peak saves more than running it full at peak.
    We can check our use by the hour online and having the stove on for 30mins more than doubles our use so appliances can make a huge difference.
    Will have to try it both ways when we are not running other stuff and see the difference
    ~ ~ ~

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)

I wonder does it work out cheaper to run it low all of the time or just when you need it?
    Our two ac units have been on full almost steady since May? It's so frikin hot in Ontario right now! Lol with that said our summer bill is STILL way cheaper ($100 a month almost) then winter when we are heating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    barbis9, Ciel and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

For some reason, today the breeze seems cooler than yesterday but the temperature is hotter today. Am going through Kisko Freezies but I seem to plateau at about the fifth one in a day.

I found this gem of an article that the carbon tax is being hidden in distribution charges on natural gas bills.
    Today: http://www.hamiltonnews.com/news-sto...-fee-on-bills/

Opposition MPPs had said it was hidden: http://www.hamiltonnews.com/news-sto...ral-gas-bills/
    barbis9 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I looked at some of the times we had it running and didn't do anything else and turned it down for an hour yesterday.

Running on high in the morning varies between $0.05-0.06 per hour

Peak with it on high cost $0.13 but low cost $0.04. Turned it up to medium as it warmed up a fair bit and it cost $0.12 but I imagine it was working harder to cool back down. He came home and turned it up to high and back to $0.13

Since (the first hour at least) turning it on med was almost as much as high, and can't see it just being on low in summer... but having it lower at peak certainly shows a difference
    ~ ~ ~

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

those off peak hours work wonders.
    laundry/dishwasher etc. gotta save where you can.

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    I looked at some of the times we had it running and didn't do anything else and turned it down for an hour yesterday.

Running on high in the morning varies between $0.05-0.06 per hour

Peak with it on high cost $0.13 but low cost $0.04. Turned it up to medium as it warmed up a fair bit and it cost $0.12 but I imagine it was working harder to cool back down. He came home and turned it up to high and back to $0.13

Since (the first hour at least) turning it on med was almost as much as high, and can't see it just being on low in summer... but having it lower at peak certainly shows a difference
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

There's a Hamilton grocer who's shocked his hydro bill has been climbing despite switching lights over to LEDs etc. He's had to release some staff and cut hours of remaining employees. http://www.hamiltonnews.com/news-sto...-says-ndp-mpp/
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread Information